ADVERTISEMENT

Pass run percentage this season...

Can you imagine if WVU decided to go right at the sissies from Texas? The Saghorns would be sucking gas by the second series lol. WVU hopefully will migrate away from the touchy feely style of the faux 12 team conference that should be referred to as the Big 12-2=10 Flag Football Conference.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
http://wvmetronews.com/2019/01/04/west-virginia-neal-brown-offensive-guru-troy-defenses/

USA Today Sports
New West Virginia coach Neal Brown is known as an offensive mind, but strong defense was a hallmark of his Troy teams.

By Alex Hickey in Sports, WVU Sports | January 04, 2019 at 8:00PM

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Mountaineers head coach Neal Brown will come to West Virginia with the reputation of an offensive guru, and understandably so.

He played for Hal Mumme, the coach who popularized the Air Raid offense at Kentucky in the late 1990s. His entire coaching career has been spent on the offensive side of the ball, including three years as coordinator at Texas Tech from 2010-12. Yet the numbers show that Brown is not always the pass-happy, up-tempo coach that those credentials would suggest.

The numbers from Brown’s four-year tenure at Troy University show that the Trojans balanced the run and pass as well as their tempo. Perhaps more surprisingly, the Trojans ranked better in major multiple defensive categories than they did on offense throughout his three seasons following a 4-8 debut in 2015.

In 2018, Brown dramatically adjusted to his team’s offensive strengths rather than forcing his system to work as-is. The Trojans were a balanced but still pass-first team in Brown’s first three seasons before losing four-year starting quarterback Brandon Silvers. The Trojans ran the ball 56.5 percent of the time this season while adding 2:27 to their average time of possession.

Troy was a middle-of-the-road team in most offensive categories this season, but still finished 10-3 and 7-1 in Sun Belt Conference play on the strength of its defense.

The Trojans owned the line of scrimmage, finishing 11th nationally in both run defense (3.29 yards per carry) and sacks (3 per game). It’s hardly a blip. In 2017, Troy was fourth nationally in tackles for loss (8.62 per game). West Virginia was sixth in that category this season.

When teams moved the ball on Troy, it didn’t always make its way across the goal line. Troy was 22nd in the country in red zone defense this year, allowing points on 77.3 percent of opposing drives inside the 20.

No one was better than the Trojans in 2017, when they stonewalled opponents on nearly 40 percent of their red zone possessions. Opponents scored in the red zone just 61.4 percent of the time against Troy in 2017. TCU was the only other defense in the country to allow points on fewer than 70 percent of opposing red zone possessions.

West Virginia ranked 94th nationally in red zone defense in 2018, giving up points on 86.7 percent of such possessions. The Mountaineers were also abysmal in 2017, ranking 79th overall – though to be fair, the offensive skill set raises up a few notches from the Sun Belt to the Big 12.

Troy season statistics under Neal Brown
National rankings in parentheses
Offense

Scoring: 30.7 ppg (51st)

Rush YPC: 4.67 (47th)

Pass YPA: 7.5 (61st)

Run/Pass Ratio: 56.5/43.5

Snaps per game: 65.8

Turnovers: 21 (87th)

Sacks Allowed: 2.08 per game (57th)

Red Zone Scoring: 82.6 percent (76th)

Defense
Scoring: 22 ppg (28th)

Rush YPC: 3.29 (11th)

Pass YPA: 7.3 (65th)

Takeaways: 31 (3rd)

Sacks: 3 per game (11th)

Red Zone Scoring: 77.3 percent (22nd)

Offense

Scoring: 31.5 ppg (43rd)

Rush YPC: 4.7 (42nd)

Pass YPA: 7.6 (45th)

Run/Pass Ratio: 47.1/52.9

Snaps per game: 66.8

Turnovers: 19 (62nd)

Sacks Allowed: 1.15 (13th)

Red Zone Scoring: 81.8 percent (86th)

Defense
Scoring: 18.5 ppg (11th)

Rush YPC: 2.87 (3rd)

Pass YPA: 6.9 (48th)

Takeaways: 26 (16th)

Sacks: 3.23 per game (7th)

Red Zone Scoring: 61.4 percent (1st)

Offense

Scoring: 33.7 ppg (39th)

Rush YPC: 4.53 (59th)

Pass YPA: 6.9 (78th)

Run/Pass Ratio: 49.6/50.4

Snaps per game: 75.2

Turnovers: 20 (68th)

Sacks Allowed: 0.62 per game (1st)

Red Zone Scoring: 87.2 percent (37th)

Defense
Scoring: 22.1 ppg (22nd)

Rush YPC: 3.38 (13th)

Pass YPA: 6.6 (25th)

Takeaways: 30 (4th)

Sacks: 2.23 per game (53rd)

Red Zone Scoring: 80 percent (36th)

Offense

Scoring: 27.9 ppg (70th)

Rush YPC: 3.75 (109th)

Pass YPA: 6.9 (76th)

Run/Pass Ratio: 47.7/52.3

Snaps per game: 66.6

Turnovers: 19 (51st)

Sacks Allowed: 1.5 per game (38th)

Red Zone Scoring: 86.5 percent (48th)

Defense
Scoring: 28.2 ppg (78th)

Rush YPC: 4.09 (49th)

Pass YPA: 7.2 (72nd)

Takeaways: 19 (74th)

Sacks: 2.42 per game (40th)

Red Zone Scoring: 82.2 percent (55th)

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/29/16382818/neal-brown-troy-football-head-coach-lsu

Last year, Troy was a touchdown away from upsetting the eventual national champions. Clemson almost didn’t make it to the Playoff, because this team you might not have heard of pushed those Tigers to the brink, 30-24, in Week 2.

Some coaches would bristle at using a loss as a positive motivator.

“I don’t have any problems talking about it,” Brown told SB Nation in August. “Here’s what I say about the Clemson game: they were a better football team than us last season. They won the national championship. But I’m not sure they were the better football team that day.

“We were a program that had been struggling, hadn’t had a winning season since 2010. I knew we were going to succeed when we turned around, beat a good Southern Miss team that had just beaten Kentucky. And I think the Clemson game set us up for that.”

“The way [Brown] was able to win as an ‘offensive’ coach last year being average on offense, and then to be able to win this year being at times below average on offense right now, to find a way to change your game plan and make adjustments and still win, that’s good coaching,” Franklin said.

Brown describes Troy as a Power 5 program on a Group of 5 budget.

Brown has a structure of core values and goals and practices like any modern head coach, but there’s a dirty little secret on how Troy has regained its swagger as a G5 to be reckoned with: It’s OK to have fun. One period of each practice during the summer was dedicated to Trojan Games, in which the team would go from a scrimmage or series of drills to movie trivia or a home run derby.

“Every meeting, we’re up right away, clapping, moving around. I always let players pick the music and let them play it loud. So I never have any idea what’s playing,” Brown said.

Also, you’ve never really experienced Migos until you’ve seen this video.

I think Neal Brown has the style that can work well for Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.

The other side is Iowa State and Texas
Iowa State has done well under Campbell with everyone besides Texas and Kansas State. Bill Snyder is gone.
Digging deeper into the reason. Most see it as the running QB.

Herman seems to have an issue with Oklahoma State but truthfully Texas outplayed them in 2017 and Oklahoma State were forced to play Texas' style. Might have been the best defensive performance in the Big 12 for the last 3+ years.

All 4 of the new coaches are preferring Matt Campbell and Tom Herman's style it seems like.

But there is TCU.
Gary Patterson said it during Big 12 media days.
What he looks for are teams that give certain teams trouble and he will adjust his defensive game plan to that and have his OC do the same.

Iowa State and Campbell will drop back a couple steps on the win / loss campaign. Going 7-5 and 4-5 tying Oklahoma State and Baylor for 4th. TCU will be 8-4 (5-4) and 3rd place. Red River winner will win the season conference championship. Conference champ could be 7-2 in conference. They will then meet again in Big 12 title game. Neither making the CFP.

Could happen.
Oklahoma takes a huge step back because of QB play and Texas has issues because their offense isn't what some think and their defense never comes together.

But more than likely either one of them or both will be head and shoulders above everyone.

Iowa State on the otherhand brings back a lot on the DL, OL, at LB and a great S.
Iowa St is very experienced next year.

WV needs to get a team like Iowa St.
Experience in the trenches with some skill players and a good QB.

Matt Campbell started without much on the OL and DL but in Year 4 he has the team he wants.

Neal Brown to get WV to be that team that can dominate the trenches is going to have to wait to develop an OLine.
Like your DL. Think you could use a little more athleticism but if WV does have success it will be because their DLine can control teams that want to play in the trenches.

Hey....I see that "Ignorant Member" has checked in again. Won't read because he/she/it is such a pompous phony and google machine. My bet is he is sharing his shallow and hollow opinions as if anyone cares. Ignorant Member is FakeTexasDude for anyone who doesn't know...the poster with a worthless opinion on everything on Earth.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
You did say... Oklahoma wasn't a CFP team this year.
If that would to happen it would be on two positions
OL and QB.

If their OL doesn't come together and this hurts their QB play or if Hurts isn't to the level of Mayfield or Murray...

But like I said there is only a small chance of this happening.

Hurts looked great at Alabama but his role is totally different at Oklahoma.

They have to rewire his brain. Dan Enos started it last year and I think this is why Lincoln Riley was interested

Lane Kiffin isn't that great with QBs...
Wouldn't let that guy around my dog let alone QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT