ADVERTISEMENT

OU's Boren: Big 12 expansion "not a sure thing"....

WVex-pat in GA

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2007
Ellijay, GA - High above the Coosawattee River
Some comment:

Sour-grapes! Your team got handed its a$$ by Houston so now expansion is not such a good thing.

Why is it that only the Big 12 has a school president, I don't can what his title is on the Board of the Big 12, as their mouthpiece for all things conference related? In every other conference the Conference Commissioner is the only person you ever hear from in the media. The school presidents, for the most part, are invited to STFU!

Bring on Houston and Cincinnati; and Boren.... STFU.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-boren-says-big-12-expansion-not-sure-thing

Some comment:

Sour-grapes! Your team got handed its a$$ by Houston so now expansion is not such a good thing.

Why is it that only the Big 12 has a school president, I don't can what his title is on the Board of the Big 12, as their mouthpiece for all things conference related? In every other conference the Conference Commissioner is the only person you ever hear from in the media. The school presidents, for the most part, are invited to STFU!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-boren-says-big-12-expansion-not-sure-thing

It isn't sour grapes, but a dysfunctional conference.
  1. No program has the necessary 8 votes and so far there is no movement to get there.
  2. ESPN/Fox may pay the BIG12 not to expand.

Buckhead must be on a ledge ready to jump right now. Hey this may be the first expansion thread that moron hasn't started! His mom must not have got him out of bed for his shift at Stoney's this morning.

We where supposed to have an answer at the end of may. Then it was midsummer. Then it was before the start of the season. The fact that it keeps getting pushed back is a strong indication that it may never happen. Boren is just being truthful but with the available candidates I am not sure why anyone is surprised that no team has been able to get the necessary 8 votes.

Texas at one time was in favor of Houston, I doubt OU is these days, so one of the other TX schools would be among the other desenting votes. Can't imagine that any of the Kansas schools or ISU would vote against Houston.

Cincy made their point last night, but I can't see them as a threat to any of the other schools. I think both would bring good on field competition to the conference.

I would think that Houston passed its "audition" for Big 12 membership, aka the solid victory over Oklahoma. Unless the Sooners and Longhorns don't want another TCU screwing up their chances to win the title.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Well, they're going to look really stupid if this ends up being all for nothing and money spent exploring it.

I'm fine either way... however, let's get this whole circus show over with.

Reactions: torontoeers
This would be great news to UCF. They were out of this. A couple years to get things straight again would only help their chances.

Houston will be the big loser. Herman will leave, Houston will dip back to a 8-9 win Midmajor and likely leapfrogged.

It isn't sour grapes, but a dysfunctional conference.
  1. No program has the necessary 8 votes and so far there is no movement to get there.
  2. ESPN/Fox may pay the BIG12 not to expand.
Dead on with #2. It's a high stakes bluff. If they call them on it, they'll pick the best two that they feel that fit and move on. Otherwise you stand pat and stick with those ten fat slices of pie. Until the networks move nothing will happen.

Some comment:

A collegiate athletics conference with a college president having some form of authority? Gasp!

Houston, or any team for that matter, doesn't earn its way into our conference on one game. BYU shouldn't get in if they beat us, either. We didn't earn our way in from spanking OU in the Fiesta Bowl. If they add enough value that they don't cut our per-school revenue, then yeah let's seriously look. I still have yet to see one school that fits that mold. Right now we're looking at a school that is at best #6 in its own state in relevance (Houston), and another two that are #2 (BYU and Cincinatti). There is no defense against this except that it's expansion for the sake of expansion, which is never good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT