ADVERTISEMENT

Other than "The Play", you're favorite Major Harris moment?

eer2000

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Pretty excited that we are retiring #9 Saturday. Major Harris was the perfect player at the perfect time for the perfect coach for WVU. All of the stars aligned, and 1988 happened.

We've all seen the Play, some of us lived it in the stadium that day, starting out by saying "What the f--- is he doing?!" and ending The Play by hearing Brent Musberger exclaim "THE MAGICIAN DID IT!" and of course Jack Fleming's famous call of "What a move he made on the first tackler! What he move he made on the second! And the third!" It is The Play that ignited The Season.

However, there were many others, many of which I'm sure my memory may have lost over time and over many Miller Lites since that day.

There are many moments I recall, but the one most amazing thing I saw Major do was at BC in 1989. It was a big game. We were ranked #15 with a game at a ranked Penn State team on the horizon. We had blown an early 24-3 lead, and BC pulled to within 34-30 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. WVU had the ball on our own 30. Maj dropped back to pass, and got blitzed out of the pocket. He juked the pants off of a BC DE, then a BC corner, and blew by a BC safety - he was off to the races. 70 yards later he crosses the goal line and scores. But, there was a flag way back at the line of scrimmage. Holding, WVU - so back 10 yards we go to our own 20. It was hot as blazes that day, and Major was gassed as we trudged back to the huddle all the way from the far end zone. 1st and 20, Major is exhausted, and Nehlen calls another pass play. Major drops back, and everyone is covered. So, he takes off again. He jukes two BC LBs, gets a block from Greg Dykes I believe which springs him loose, and he's off to the races again. But, at about the 30, he just completely hits a wall and the BC safety chasing him finally is able to catch up with Maj at the 5 to knock him out of bounds for a 75-yard scamper. Carl Hayes would punch it in a couple plays later.

Major went over to the sideline and puked after the 2nd 75-yard run and Greg Jones had to come in to finish the drive. It was vintage Major, and I can recall the TV broadcast showing bewildered BC fans laughing after his 2nd long following the holding penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News