ADVERTISEMENT

OT-REDSKINS

So what will be the teams new nickname?....... the “Monuments”? fairly banal.

The funny (sad) part is that they have polled Native Americans and they overwhelmingly support keeping the Redskins name. I live in New Mexico and it is not uncommon to see Native Americans wearing Redskin caps and jackets. It’s a joke but the minority wins now.

BINGO

This isn't about them at all. It's the PC way or prepare to be labeled.

I'll tell you who the racists are...those that see racism in everything. Like this name. The folks that immediately scream racism the minute someone of their race is harmed by a member of another (particularly white) race.

This has got to start being called out and stood up to. Some of the nut jobs want to get rid of statues of Washington for gosh sakes. That's what happens when you don't stand up to the radicals...they come back the next day demanding more.

Look, I'd never call an American Indian a redskin but changing a name that's been around for as long as this? Just nuts.

Looks like name is going bye-bye. So, Indians, Seminoles, Chiefs or anything else offensive, I expect are next in line.
This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after
an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington
Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am
highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.
One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native
Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be
careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and
courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the
Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get
rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of
militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a
team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any
reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's
lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion
among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and
pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message
to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting
or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity,
a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The
Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to
our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong
message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out
to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in
mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name
of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than
"the Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we
really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for
the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the
"Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the
dick heads in Washington DC.

BINGO

I'll tell you who the racists are...those that see racism in everything. Like this name. The folks that immediately scream racism the minute someone of their race is harmed by a member of another (particularly white) race.

This has got to start being called out and stood up to. Some of the nut jobs want to get rid of statues of Washington for gosh sakes. That's what happens when you don't stand up to the radicals...they come back the next day demanding more.

Look, I'd never call an American Indian a redskin but changing a name that's been around for as long as this? Just nuts.

There's only so many names to change ... books to burn ... buildings to re-name ... and monuments & statues to topple.

Then it's on to living flesh.

Always the same formula throughout history. Never fails and there's not a solitary exception to even cite where cancel culture broke ranks.

It's almost as if they use the first phase to build up faux moral currency to commit the most immoral acts.

BINGO

@acorn agrees

The funny (sad) part is that they have polled Native Americans and they overwhelmingly support keeping the Redskins name. I live in New Mexico and it is not uncommon to see Native Americans wearing Redskin caps and jackets. It’s a joke but the minority wins now.

This is not exactly true. The poll you're referencing found that 9 out of 10 don't care. Presumably at least partly because they've got bigger shit to deal with.

That poll is also flawed because it relied on self-identification, which people may or may not be honest about. It also over-sampled by framing the question as "Do you have any Native American blood?", which how many Americans have some family legend about a great-grandma who may or may not have been half Cherokee? Those aren't exactly the people you need to worry about on this issue.

A recent survey of people who live on reservations and actively participate in ritual and political Native life found that over 2/3 find the name highly offensive.

Just name them the Washington Algonquin, pay homage to an actual group of Native Americans and honor their history, and keep the logo the same.

This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after
an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington
Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am
highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.
One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native
Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be
careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and
courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the
Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get
rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of
militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a
team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any
reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's
lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion
among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and
pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message
to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting
or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity,
a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The
Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to
our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong
message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out
to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in
mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name
of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than
"the Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we
really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for
the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the
"Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the
dick heads in Washington DC.
Great letter, I think what they are doing is ridiculous. But, they are all going to cave, mostly for monetary reasons. Several companies are now pressuring Snyder.

This is not exactly true. The poll you're referencing found that 9 out of 10 don't care. Presumably at least partly because they've got bigger shit to deal with.

That poll is also flawed because it relied on self-identification, which people may or may not be honest about. It also over-sampled by framing the question as "Do you have any Native American blood?", which how many Americans have some family legend about a great-grandma who may or may not have been half Cherokee? Those aren't exactly the people you need to worry about on this issue.

A recent survey of people who live on reservations and actively participate in ritual and political Native life found that over 2/3 find the name highly offensive.

This place never disappoints, the same
old, white guys explaining away how people of color should feel and act.....It’s always the same guys. We get it, you want everyone to get over it and stay in their place...

old, white guys explaining away how people of color should feel and act.....It’s always the same guys. We get it, you want everyone to get over it and stay in their place...

Man, there are three fingers pointing right back at you every time you point a finger at something else.

The same far left radicals saying their side is the only one that can speak about, well, anything, comes on here and doesn't disappoint either.

those other names aren’t racist like redskins is
Except every study done with Native Americans says they support the name. In fact many of their high schools have the same name. This is an argument that only middle age white men get upset about. You know the ones that like to control the world because only their opinion matters. Yeah those guys. The most recent survey was done last year.

Congratulations on describing the machinations of the "white privilege" mythology to a tee.

goldstaraward.png

Except every study done with Native Americans says they support the name. In fact many of their high schools have the same name. This is an argument that only middle age white men get upset about. You know the ones that like to control the world because only their opinion matters. Yeah those guys. The most recent survey was done last year.

Again,

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

https://newrepublic.com/article/154740/native-american-imposters-keep-corrupting-redskins-debate

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-the-shameful-and-skewed-redskins-poll/tnamp/

Reactions: Montanivado

So offended that there are at least 3 native american highs schools whose nickname is Redskins.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-..., Wash., and Kingston High School in Oklahoma.

Reactions: Cheers
As opposed to “young people of color” telling everyone they are wrong for feeling and acting the way they do. We get it, you want everyone to continue paying for sins of our great great great grandfathers and give in to every demand of the SJW community.

If you think they’ll stop after Washington changes their name, then you’re a fool
This is a power trip for them, the more the rest of us apologize and change, the more powerful they become

They're not powerful. They're actually in their death throws. Their daddy's time is growing short and he knows it.

It's desperation ... not Balkanization.

From an interview in the article you posted:
“It’s not a racist slur if it originates from a Native American tribe. ... It’s always used in the context of sports.”

Which Native American tribe does Dan Snyder originate from?

Also, I find it a little disingenuous that they found one of those three schools that uses the name, gave a bunch of poor people free tickets and a trip to an NFL game, and then asked them how they felt about the team that just did that.

I don't really care if they change the name or not, but I hate purposefully misleading polls, and I am not convinced by Dan Snyder's desperate search for people to buy off into agreeing with him.

Reactions: AllEers and Cheers
Nah. Heard about every dental joke out there and none ever offended me. Actually, many of them were quite funny! But, retired now, so really could care less-lol!!

I was changing the name to that in your honor. :smiley:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT