ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar never wanted to be at WVU

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Oscar Tshiebwe on finally making it to Kentucky, his dream school

It took a few extra years, but Oscar Tshiebwe finally made it to his dream school. In his first Zoom with the UK media, Big O opened up about his decision to transfer from West Virginia to Kentucky, the school he originally want to attend coming out of high school.

“I wanted to be a one-and-done in high school. I chose West Virginia over Kentucky, but Kentucky was my favorite school and my dream school since my freshman year of high school. I ended up choosing West Virginia, but look what God did. He brought me to the place I always prayed to Him to be. I’m so happy to be here and I know I’ve wanted to be a one-and-done since my freshman year, but it’s not… The way God does things, it’s different than the way we do things. All we need to do is wait.”

Tshiebwe, originally from Congo, played high school basketball at Kennedy Catholic in Hermitage, Pennsylvania. His host family also housed former West Virginia center Sagaba Konate, adding to the pressure to pick the Mountaineers. Even though Kentucky was high on Tshiebwe’s list, he ultimately went with West Virginia, committing on October 20, 2018. John Calipari still called to wish him well.

“My relationship with [Calipari] has been great since high school,” Tshiebwe told KSR. “Even when I decided to choose West Virginia over Kentucky, he called me and said, ‘I’m proud of you, you’ve got to go where you’re going to make you comfortable. One thing I’ll tell you, just keep working. There will be nothing easy in life wherever you go.’ Our relationship has been great.”

Reactions: WVRON
Oscar Tshiebwe on finally making it to Kentucky, his dream school

It took a few extra years, but Oscar Tshiebwe finally made it to his dream school. In his first Zoom with the UK media, Big O opened up about his decision to transfer from West Virginia to Kentucky, the school he originally want to attend coming out of high school.

“I wanted to be a one-and-done in high school. I chose West Virginia over Kentucky, but Kentucky was my favorite school and my dream school since my freshman year of high school. I ended up choosing West Virginia, but look what God did. He brought me to the place I always prayed to Him to be. I’m so happy to be here and I know I’ve wanted to be a one-and-done since my freshman year, but it’s not… The way God does things, it’s different than the way we do things. All we need to do is wait.”

Tshiebwe, originally from Congo, played high school basketball at Kennedy Catholic in Hermitage, Pennsylvania. His host family also housed former West Virginia center Sagaba Konate, adding to the pressure to pick the Mountaineers. Even though Kentucky was high on Tshiebwe’s list, he ultimately went with West Virginia, committing on October 20, 2018. John Calipari still called to wish him well.

“My relationship with [Calipari] has been great since high school,” Tshiebwe told KSR. “Even when I decided to choose West Virginia over Kentucky, he called me and said, ‘I’m proud of you, you’ve got to go where you’re going to make you comfortable. One thing I’ll tell you, just keep working. There will be nothing easy in life wherever you go.’ Our relationship has been great.”
Good Lord you are such an intellectual property thief!!!! If you are going to cut and paste from other people's work at least attribute it to them. What a plague you are.

Konate had a huge amount to do with this. He left early. F#*ked around and found out.

If he couldn't be happy then WVU sure wasn't. I'm sure Sags felt like Huggs limited his career instead of just looking into the damn mirror.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT