ADVERTISEMENT

One good thing!

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
Committed two less fouls than Texas! Oh...and nearly shot 50% from foul line...47.6%!

Yep...huggy is gettin er done!

tenor.gif

Kinda at the point now with Huggins that I got with Holgerson. Come into season hoping to see improvements from last year's team. End up seeing mediocre results, same errors game after game, season after season, always with the early "I'll fix it" and "they're young" then 'It's the players", then "I give up". Get mediocre bowl or seeding, get waxed, then get the hype how next year will be the year.

Wash and repeat.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Kinda at the point now with Huggins that I got with Holgerson. Come into season hoping to see improvements from last year's team. End up seeing mediocre results, same errors game after game, season after season, always with the early "I'll fix it" and "they're young" then 'It's the players", then "I give up". Get mediocre bowl or seeding, get waxed, then get the hype how next year will be the year.

Wash and repeat.
Get 'em while they're hot! On sale now for $49.99 (plus s&h)...
8826220.png

Come on Allen stop being so thick. His recruits. His players. His assistants. His system. His points of interest. His numbers when he wins. His criticism when he loses. He will never however want to date you.

Yet the players make no mistakes. Got it. But then again where were these complaints and whining when the wins were rolling in. WVU fans fickle.

Yet the players make no mistakes. Got it. But then again where were these complaints and whining when the wins were rolling in. WVU fans fickle.

Even if the players do make mistakes at what point does the staff bear responsibility? It's not just this year, although this year is particularly bad, but it's been most of the last 10 that FT shooting has been a sore spot. Is there a point where the finger pointing is fairly directed at coaching in your mind?

Even if the players do make mistakes at what point does the staff bear responsibility? It's not just this year, although this year is particularly bad, but it's been most of the last 10 that FT shooting has been a sore spot. Is there a point where the finger pointing is fairly directed at coaching in your mind?

At what point do the players bear responsibility?

No West Virginia team had ever finished a season making over 75% until 2017-18 season and only two have completed a year over 74 percent – 74.5 in 2005-06 and 74.2 in 2004-05. The best Huggins team at WVU was in 2017-18, which made 76.6%, the 11th best mark in school history.

That 2013-14 and 2017-18 West Virginia teams are the only ones since WVU joined the Big 12 in 2012 that has shot better than 69.5 percent from the line.

2007-08 / 68.7%
2008-09 / 69.5%
2009-10 / 70.4%
2010-11 / 71.1%
2011-12 / 67.1%
2012-13 / 69.5%
2013-14 / 72.1%
2014-15 / 66.2%
2015-16 / 67.3%
2016-17 / 68.5%
2017-18 / 76.6%
2018-19 / 68.8%
2019-20 / 63.7%

This season has been the worst ever. It isn't just Bob Huggins and his staff but every staff that has coached at WVU where players fail at Foul shooting.

Rootmaster is a troll.

It is obvious. He constantly attacks everything.

One of the 4 Shitbirds on this site.
Rootmaster
GregJacobs
tosugrad
MichiganHerd

Their entire life is trying to shit on this site and everything to do with West Virginia.
Pretty sad

At what point do the players bear responsibility?

No West Virginia team had ever finished a season making over 75% until 2017-18 season and only two have completed a year over 74 percent – 74.5 in 2005-06 and 74.2 in 2004-05. The best Huggins team at WVU was in 2017-18, which made 76.6%, the 11th best mark in school history.

That 2013-14 and 2017-18 West Virginia teams are the only ones since WVU joined the Big 12 in 2012 that has shot better than 69.5 percent from the line.

2007-08 / 68.7%
2008-09 / 69.5%
2009-10 / 70.4%
2010-11 / 71.1%
2011-12 / 67.1%
2012-13 / 69.5%
2013-14 / 72.1%
2014-15 / 66.2%
2015-16 / 67.3%
2016-17 / 68.5%
2017-18 / 76.6%
2018-19 / 68.8%
2019-20 / 63.7%

This season has been the worst ever. It isn't just Bob Huggins and his staff but every staff that has coached at WVU where players fail at Foul shooting.

And that's my point. Obviously we can blame the players at any point for not executing a basic basketball process. But at what point is it reasonable to say "who keeps bringing in these guys that can't make the easiest shot next to a layup? Who's job is it to teach these guys how to shoot this shot? These guys are consistently lousy at this and the management that brings them in needs to get their act together as well."

Reactions: Rootmaster
And that's my point. Obviously we can blame the players at any point for not executing a basic basketball process. But at what point is it reasonable to say "who keeps bringing in these guys that can't make the easiest shot next to a layup? Who's job is it to teach these guys how to shoot this shot? These guys are consistently lousy at this and the management that brings them in needs to get their act together as well."
No management is what is needed! If Huggins would take away the yoke around their necks and let them play without yanking a player out if he makes a mistake. Season about over. Too late for all these teaching moments

Reactions: mtnstream
Woodie...totally right. Been bugging me for couple seasons. Demanding excellence is fine but the constant punishment is counterproductive.

Reactions: mtnstream
What's so mind-boggling is that after every loss Huggins says something in the post-game that makes you wonder if he's ever met his players. I know he refuses to look at them when they get yanked after making a 3 but throwing a chest pass instead of bounce pass, but he acts like he's given a new group of players every game and has to learn their tendencies and abilities on the fly.

allen lives for my posts so I'll lob one over the plate. Huggins has always been over-rated. He's a semi-national name but if we're are honest with ourselves we will admit much of that "fame" was due to things you'd not want in your coach.

Four things put him on the map.
1. Really good regular-season records at Cinci in a 2nd rate conference and taking any player who could recite the alphabet with 80% accuracy.
2. Never showing up in March.
3. Horrible graduation rates.
4. Sideline antics.

Anyone who argues this is lying to themselves.

An undisciplined team that has a coach that just rolls the ball out there will lose a lot.

Huggins has a certain style of play for the players he recruits that works.
In a perfect world you would have players that are hungry...

This is what happened early in the year but that hunger was fed.

Those blow out wins were the absolute worst thing for WVU IMO.
I do agree that what I am hearing from Huggins is much different than previously but...

Doesn't mean that these loses won't open the eyes of the players that they aren't there yet.

OU should be very confident on Saturday. I would very surprise if WVU doesn't win. Good chance it will be by 10+.

Young team...

Maybe next year the players will already know or at least they will have a player or playees who could lead by example.

No management is what is needed! If Huggins would take away the yoke around their necks and let them play without yanking a player out if he makes a mistake. Season about over. Too late for all these teaching moments

What makes you think they would still win?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT