ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma’s Murray could have been a Mountaineer

Recruiting. Dana could have had many but only wanted transfers for the quick fix.Dana would rather have a transfer than recruit a high school kid. Dana's problem is he thought he was still in Texas. He had no idea how to recruit the east nor the state of WV. Dana never wanted to attempt a rebuild. One of the reasons he wanted out this year unless WVU paid him more money.

Now in Texas he can recruit the leftovers and be happy.

Good luck to the guy at Houston. You can't always get what you want

Recruiting. Dana could have had many but only wanted transfers for the quick fix.Dana would rather have a transfer than recruit a high school kid. Dana's problem is he thought he was still in Texas. He had no idea how to recruit the east nor the state of WV. Dana never wanted to attempt a rebuild. One of the reasons he wanted out this year unless WVU paid him more money.

Now in Texas he can recruit the leftovers and be happy.

Good luck to the guy at Houston. You can't always get what you want

Dana liked transfers because they took so little effort.

You have to recruit wherever you are at.
More recruits you have the more competition you have.

No school can just open their doors and have 25 top tier recruits fall in their lap.

Don't know the full story here but Murray did say over the summer he wanted to win and that is why he went to Oklahoma.

And not Texas.

The current Texas staff recruited him at Houston and needed a older LB when they came in so they went the JUCO route
What does Texas have to do with anything?

This is what you call revisionist history.
WVU didn't offer him but even if they did would he have ended up there.
I have no idea if he would have. I do know that he said he went to Oklahoma because he wanted to win.

The current Texas staff recruited him at Houston and needed a older LB when they came in so they went the JUCO route
What does Texas have to do with anything?

This is what you call revisionist history.
WVU didn't offer him but even if they did would he have ended up there.
I have no idea if he would have. I do know that he said he went to Oklahoma because he wanted to win.

Quit acting like you don’t get what I am talking about.

Quit acting like you don’t get what I am talking about.

Don't be so insecure. Texas has nothing to do with this conversation.
Texas owns Oklahoma historically and is the only program that have won on a high level for an extended period of time in the Big 12. Truthfully Texas is the only program that can get Oklahoma to the next level.

None of this has to with Murray.
His final three were Houston, Ole Miss and Oklahoma

Holgorsen had some of the best recruiting classes in WVU history and put many players into the NFL.

Not sure why its so important for some to lie about him daily. Guess it makes them forget about their own failures?

Reactions: drumeer
A Team Cannot Sustain Success without the Recruits.
looking at college football’s National Champions since 2004 and playoff participants since 2014 tells a distinct story. Only four of the past 14 National Champions featured less than 35 blue chip players on the roster. Those teams were Texas in 2005, Auburn in 2010, Florida State in 2013 with 34, and Clemson in 2016. And none of these schools carried less than 30 blue chip players.

Yet a total of five of the 16 college football playoff participants had between 16 and 28 blue chip recruits on the active roster. Oregon had 22 in 2014; Oklahoma had 28 and Michigan State had 17 in 2015; and Washington only had 16 in 2016. The threshold to reach the playoff presents a much lower barrier to entry, but it is still fairly well established. If a team cannot count more than 20% of its roster among blue chip recruits (4 stars or better on at least one major recruiting service), it falls short of the playoff. On a less-than-full roster of 80 players, this means a team needs at least sixteen (16) blue chip recruits to reach the playoff.

Where Do the Mountaineers Sit Now?
While West Virginia has flirted with success a few times in its recent history, it has done so without the benefit of concentrated blue chip talent. Indeed, West Virginia possesses a gritty mentality. As a result, many of its 3-star players far outperform their recruiting ranking. Steve Slaton, Pat White, Daryl Worley, Karl Joseph, KJ Dillon, and Kevin White are chief among them. Yet something has been missing in all but a trio of West Virginia’s best seasons. Outside of 1988, 1993, and 2007, West Virginia has never truly been in the hunt for a national title. Coincidentally, before Holgorsen, West Virginia has never featured more than twelve (12) blue chip players on its roster at any one time.

Enter the 2018 West Virginia Mountaineers. The Mountaineers currently feature twenty (20) blue-chip recruits on scholarship, safely above the minimum playoff threshold. Perhaps more importantly, the Mountaineers have at least one blue-chip player active at each position on the roster. Per usual, that talent is surrounded by the gritty, blue-collar players that define the Mountaineers. Yodny Cajuste, for example, is considered a possible second- or third-round draft selection. He was only a three-star recruit. Additionally, David Long is Pro Football Focus’ highest-rated returning linebacker in all of college football, and he was also only a three-star recruit.

To reiterate, just because a team crosses this threshold does not mean the team will have success. But, again, no team failing to cross this threshold has ever made the playoff or played in the national championship under the old BCS system. Finally, the Mountaineers have crossed the line for the first time. And that is where Holgorsen has taken this team. Ultimately, he has brought in an abundance of talent that marks the first in what could prove a series of steps to bring the Mountaineers closer to its team goals, such as the Big 12 championship appearance predicted here. That is the importance of recruiting under Dana Holgorsen.

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2018/09/05/recruiting-under-dana-holgorsen/

Could have been a Mountaineer as well if I wasn't slow, short and fat like @GREGJACOBS

They didn't let me walk on but I guess Pitt has lower standards.

The recruiting battle is decided, for the most part, at the kitchen table where mom and dad listen to the words and persuasions of the HC and assess his reputation and character, and from this decide whether or not they can trust him with their kid. THIS is where Neal Brown will outshine them all. Watch as he begins to nab a few of those top 300 high school kids over the next few years. As I tell my friends, Neal Brown is the next Dabo Sweeney.

In home visits are so late in the game.

If you play in the Big 12 Championship game you have like 10 days for in home visits.
The window is so small.

Most of the players have decided by then.

What brings recruits is hype. Attention. Something to get recruits to want to visit for UOV starting their Sophomore year.
More times you have a recruit at one of your recruiting weekends or games the more the chance he picks your school.

WV has enough in a 250 mile radius that distance shouldn't be a problem.

The recruiting battle is decided, for the most part, at the kitchen table where mom and dad listen to the words and persuasions of the HC and assess his reputation and character, and from this decide whether or not they can trust him with their kid. THIS is where Neal Brown will outshine them all. Watch as he begins to nab a few of those top 300 high school kids over the next few years. As I tell my friends, Neal Brown is the next Dabo Sweeney.

I'll hold off of the Dabo part for now, but I think the rest of what you mentioned will happen.

What Dabo does can only work in a few places.
There really isn't separation between church and state in that part of South Carolina. Clemson has been sued already for the actions of their football program.
Dabo pretty much gives a testimony about the Lord once or twice a week and uses Christianity at the root of his program and recruiting.
Not something that can happen everywhere.

Its a message board dude...you are truly strange and weird...get mental help.

Says the douche that follows me around haha. I get it. I’m your internet mission. I figured sooner or later you’d get bored and stop obsessing over my posts. So sad that it is later.

I view it as you are the douche that responds to every post I make...

Funny....its about your point of view.

I don't go around calling people puppets, band geeks and homers 24/7....think about that.

Holgorsen had some of the best recruiting classes in WVU history and put many players into the NFL.

Not sure why its so important for some to lie about him daily. Guess it makes them forget about their own failures?

Good Coaches reload, not rebuild. When Holgs came 8 years ago, I was hoping that we were finally going to become a reloading program. That did not happen. Very disappointing. Yes, he did lure WG here. But, he never had his replacement in place. He left because he knew he left the cupboard bare.

My main hope for HCNB is that he gets us over that hump and we become a reloading program. Without that, we will never be seen as a top national program.

I view it as you are the douche that responds to every post I make...

Funny....its about your point of view.

I don't go around calling people puppets, band geeks and homers 24/7....think about that.

Chicken and the egg. You responded to my real unbiased perspectives and got persona and then tried to bully(haha) me off an Internet site.

Look at your last paragraph. Way to serious brah.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT