ADVERTISEMENT

Offense helped WVU defense this season

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Contrary to last season when the WVU offense too often put the defense in a short field, Tennessee never started a drive closer than the Vols 46, and that was on the kick return team. Offense gave Vols ball on UT 37 on a McCoy fumble, but defense held off Vols at the 1 yard line.

Tennessee drives started at:

Vols 25 after a kickoff. Defense held Tennessee to MINUS 15 yards. WVU got a field goal in 7 plays.

Vols 18 after a kickoff. UT got to WV 46 before punting.
Vols 25 after a kickoff. Defense held Tennessee to MINUS 7 yards. WVU offense went 3 and out.
Vols 22 after a punt. 17 plays, 78 yards, UT TD but it took FOUR plays from the 1 to get it.
Vols 29 after punt following WVU offense 3 and out. 30 yards later, UT punts. WVU gets field goal after 8 plays and 72 yards.
Vols 16 after kickoff. 3 and out and punt. Defense held UT to NO net yards.
Vols 25 after a kickoff. UT TD after only 5 plays. 45-yard run, pass interference, 4-yard TD run.
Vols 25 after a kickoff. UT punts from own 48.
Vols 37 after McKoy fumbles away the ball. 8 plays, 61 yards but defense held 4 plays from the 13 yard line, incomplete 4th down pass.
Vols 46 after kickoff. 4 plays, 12 yards, game ends.

Didn't the defense dominate early to help the offense score only 13 points and hold Tennessee to 7. I thought so.

Didn't the defense dominate early to help the offense score only 13 points and hold Tennessee to 7. I thought so.
Of course. That's the point. What the offense does helps the defense, and vice versa. But the WVU offense last season too often put the defense in a short field, which impacts the points blamed on the defense semi-unfairly.

Grier was magnificent. So were the receivers. Defense did an excellent job except for the long Vols TD drive, such as twice stopping the Vols inside the 13.

I just pointed out a good sign compared to last season. Certainly not a knock on THIS SEASON'S offense. Just happy to see the improvement and no short fields for the defense, which is restructured and welcomed the help.

I certainly did, too.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O bliterate Youngstown

U nnerve North Carolina State

N uke Kansas State

T errorize Texas Tech

A nnihilate Kansas

I ncinerate Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State