ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Observations: West Virginia Fall Camp 8-3

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--Today was fan day and there were not only fans in the stands but some interesting weather has it began overcast, spilled into a rainstorm and then closed with it being bright and sunny. We were allowed on the field for an hour today and most of it was dedicated to drill work but at the end we did get a little bit of good on good.

--Interesting soundtrack today with a decidedly country theme with Fishing in the Dark, Dixieland Delight and some Brooks and Dunn among the tracks. Also had some Hootie and the Blowfish.

--Worked in small groups at times yet again with so many coaches on the field including the initial rep working on quarterback/center exchanges and the mesh point. West Virginia had six different players snapping again.

--West Virginia had a tug of war competition drill and the defense came out victorious in that one.

--Again no tackling that I saw but on both sides of the field there were units working and players were mixing in and out. We only got to watch 1-2 minutes of this so I tried to get all the numbers down for you on one side before the session was closed.

On the side I was on the offense was
QB: Garrett Greene, RB Jahiem White, WR: Hudson Clement, Traylon Ray and Preston Fox. TE: Treylan Davis, OL: LT: Wyatt Milum, LG: Tomas Rimac, C: Brandon Yates, RG: Ja'Quay Hubbard and RT: Nick Malone.
On defense the group was
DL: Sean Martin, Fatorma Mulbah and Eddie Vesterinen. LB: Josiah Trotter, Trey Lathan, S: Aubrey Burks, Anthony Wilson, Josiah Jackson, CB: Ayden Garnes and Garnett Hollis.

--I don't want to be certain but it looked like the second half of the field was similar to the group that worked the other day with players working into the mix.

--Got to see Ric'Darious Farmer in action today and he was smooth catching punts as well and displayed some wiggle in the open field on an end around. The Mountaineers were running a drill where the punt returners were holding a ball in one hand and fielding it with another and I didn't see him drop any. He isn't the biggest option, but is quick. As for Justin Robinson he is an huge at wide receiver and the same can be said for Kole Tayor who is moving well and is such a weapon at his size.

--The other returners were Preston Fox, Tyler Evans, Rodney Gallagher and Andrew Phares.

--A lot of the open practice was dedicated to special teams today with a lot of drill work focusing on the various areas. One area they were focusing on blocking punts and Jeff Koonz and the other coaches were really instructing the players not to bow and to take a direct angle to the ball.

--There were several NFL teams represented including the Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings.

--Both cornerback Jacolby Spells and defensive lineman Asani Redwood continued to sport green jerseys and participated, while wide receiver Dom Collins was in red and participating.

--Redshirt sophomore quarterback Nicco Marchiol threw the ball well and on time yet again today, now most of it was on air but you can see that he just has a much greater confidence and seems to be throwing and delivering the ball accurately and on time. Greene also was on point for what I was able to see.

--Ryder Burton has some moxy to him as well and a live arm. Will try to spend more time watching him in the next open practice but he has a strong arm and seemed to be fired up today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News