ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Observations: West Virginia basketball at Kansas State

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--At this point, I’m not even sure how some of the stuff that happens with this team is happening. West Virginia played so well for most of the first half and to start the second half before this team just basically ran into a wall. The Mountaineers went 9:50, almost half of the second half without a field goal, and an 18-2 run allowed Kansas State to seize all the momentum and put themselves in position to win. But even after that, the Mountaineers cut it down to 74-73 before a bad foul and some awful decisions/shot selections down the stretch from some of the team’s best players sealed their fate. This was a very winnable game and by all measures this team played with a lot more fight than it did Saturday, but the margin for error is so small and this group continues to basically blow its own foot off. At this stage in the year, I can’t tell if I’m writing about the basketball or football team from this past season because it’s so many of the same issues. No identity on offense, poor shot selection, critical mistakes and an inability to do the routine. This was another golden opportunity to record a win and keep any chances to get into the post season alive, but again the Mountaineers failed.

--For as much as I’ve knocked him this year, redshirt freshman Isaiah Cottrell played his best game all season. He finished with 13 points on 5-14 shooting and even held his own at times on the defensive end. There’s been a lot of issues this year with his play, but it’s games like tonight that let you see some of the potential that he possibly could have as he continues to develop. He seemed much more confident and slowed down especially on the offensive end which allowed him to hit some shots. But one game doesn’t make a season and it’s been a laundry list of issues all year.

--Senior guard Taz Sherman finished with 23 points and was the consistent offensive threat that we’ve become accustomed to seeing but his decision making down the stretch left something to be desired. He had two critical turnovers with the game still in the balance and the Mountaineers weren’t even able to get a shot up. It’s hard to fault him because he’s asked to do so much, but it is what it is.

--West Virginia made 20-24 from the foul line, but Kansas State made 31 free throws and shot 15 more in total than the Mountaineers. Some of that is because the Wildcats got downhill and got to the rim, but West Virginia has to be smarter but of course inconsistent officiating was in play yet again.

--It was good to see redshirt sophomore Jalen Bridges hit the glass with 10 in this one. He led the team in that department and also had 9 points but took some very bad shots down the stretch.

--West Virginia won on the glass +3, but even that is sort of misleading due to the fact that the Wildcats played with a smaller lineup at times. But take the wins where you can get them.

--Senior guard Sean McNeil should never be fourth on the team in shot attempts. He finished with only 5 points on 2-6 from the floor in 28 minutes of action. Some of that is West Virginia not getting him open, but when he is McNeil has to be more aggressive pulling it. I know I’ve said this a bunch this year, but if he isn’t scoring with the lack of a post presence it’s a recipe for disaster for this club. He was -9 tonight.

--Senior Gabe Osabuohien didn’t play after three technical over the past two games and that selfish behavior cost his team tonight. Yes, head coach Bob Huggins could have played him but he was clearly sending a message to his group and Osabuohien hurt his team by jawing with officials.

--Really, really bad game for senior guard Malik Curry who was -6 in only 9 minutes of action. He had 3 turnovers and 1 assist and just couldn’t get things settled when he was in the game. Pauly Paulicap was -7 in 8 minutes of action. Both of those transfers struggled tonight.

--On the flip side, I don’t understand why Kobe Johnson only played 5 minutes tonight. He looked good when he was in and was +5 when he was on the floor. He is a freshman but plays with confidence.

--West Virginia was +6 in second chance points but managed only 14 points on 12 offensive rebounds.

--Only -4 in points in the paint. That still isn’t good but a lot better than what’s been happening.

--West Virginia now hosts Kansas and at 14-11 the Mountaineers have their backs completely against the wall to say the least after losing 9 of their last 10 games. This team has to score some massive upsets down the stretch for any chance of heading to the NCAA Tournament outside a miracle run in the league tournament. Right now, you’d be hard pressed to find anybody that believes that is possible with how this team has played.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News