ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's offense the deepest and most talented in program history?

bEER_Nation13

All-American
Mar 2, 2012
I cannot think of another offense as potent and deep as next year's team.

4 returning starting O-linemen

Grier with Jack Allison as backup

McCoy, Pettaway

Sills, Jennings, Simms, Simmons, expect Reggie Roberson to make a big leap from freshman to sophomore years, also expect Maiden to be a contributor especially in redzone, some talented freshmen WR coming in who could make an impact

Jovani Haskins at TE, yes Sir, we finally have a legit TE weapon. Couple good TE freshmen coming in with TJ Banks and O'Laughlin

What makes you think Allison will be the back up?
What makes you think WVU will use a TE in its offensive scheme?

In 1988 Don Nehlen had two starting offensive lines he rotated every three series made up of Sr. and Jr's, two top 25 QB's with Major Harris as the starter and Miami transfer and top 5 HS QB & Miami transfer Greg Jones as his back-up, three tailbacks that could have started anywhere in the country, all his receivers returning along with the top J.C. WR in the country, 6'5" Reggie Rembert who caught anything thrown his way, and a FB in Craig Taylor who never lost a yard in his college or NFL career.

To sum it up, Beer, no. 2018's potential offense couldn't carry the Gatoraide for the 1988 offense.

Geno, Tavon and Stedman is pretty tough to beat. It was an atrocious defense that kept that WVU team from running through everything in its way.

Pat White, Steve Slaton and facemask-busting Owen Schmitt was an incredible backfield, too.

2018 hasn't proven anything yet. Potential is one thing; performance is another.

Appreciate your enthusiasm, though. We could use more of that on this board.

In 1988 Don Nehlen had two starting offensive lines he rotated every three series made up of Sr. and Jr's, two top 25 QB's with Major Harris as the starter and Miami transfer and top 5 HS QB & Miami transfer Greg Jones as his back-up, three tailbacks that could have started anywhere in the country, all his receivers returning along with the top J.C. WR in the country, 6'5" Reggie Rembert who caught anything thrown his way, and a FB in Craig Taylor who never lost a yard in his college or NFL career.

To sum it up, Beer, no. 2018's potential offense couldn't carry the Gatoraide for the 1988 offense.

Best I've seen since 1957.

Well, we won't know until this time next year, will we? It does have potential, though.

McCoy, Pettaway

Sills, Jennings, Simms, Simmons, expect Reggie Roberson to make a big leap from freshman to sophomore years, also expect Maiden to be a contributor especially in redzone, some talented freshmen WR coming in who could make an impact

Jovani Haskins at TE, yes Sir, we finally have a legit TE weapon. Couple good TE freshmen coming in with TJ Banks and O'Laughlin

Bulger was a solid NFL QB and White and crew were hard to stop but agree next years weapons offer positive hopes.

bEER...I think you’re probably a bit young to remember, but what 1988 had that 2018 and every other team won’t was the OL. That was likely the one and only time in school history we had a line as good as any blue-blood school. I don’t expect to see one of those again here.

In all honesty, we’ve had a few QB/RB/WR groupings over the years as good or better than 1988 but the OL is what set that squad apart from the rest.

bEER...I think you’re probably a bit young to remember, but what 1988 had that 2018 and every other team won’t was the OL. That was likely the one and only time in school history we had a line as good as any blue-blood school. I don’t expect to see one of those again here.

In all honesty, we’ve had a few QB/RB/WR groupings over the years as good or better than 1988 but the OL is what set that squad apart from the rest.
69 with Gresham, Williams and Braxton. Braxton was FB but made A American
senior year as TE.

We had some great pieces in 1998. Bulger, Zereoue, Jerry Porter, David Saunders, Shawn Foreman and a solid line. We just didn’t have the year folks expected. Defense was a problem, and stupid turnovers also cost a game or two.

We had some great pieces in 1998. Bulger, Zereoue, Jerry Porter, David Saunders, Shawn Foreman and a solid line. We just didn’t have the year folks expected. Defense was a problem, and stupid turnovers also cost a game or two.
The one time Nehlen didn’t know how to use a player; Jerry Porter. A future NFL all pro WR used as DB and Backup QB at WVU. You have to wonder how that happened

The '88 team was loaded, and I'm sure would have won the NC if Major didn't get hurt. Unfortunately, ND also had a great team that year.

Next years team should also be great, and yes I expect them to use the talented tight ends we are going to have.

McCoy, Pettaway

We are overdue to use the tight end. It will be a refreshing surprise to our offence.

The '88 team was loaded, and I'm sure would have won the NC if Major didn't get hurt. Unfortunately, ND also had a great team that year.

Next years team should also be great, and yes I expect them to use the talented tight ends we are going to have.
There is no way WVU would’ve beaten that ND team with a healthy Major. The injury made little difference. That ND team is considered one of the best.

McCoy, Pettaway

That honor would go to the 1988 team hands down, no comparison.

There is no way WVU would’ve beaten that ND team with a healthy Major. The injury made little difference. That ND team is considered one of the best.
I disagree. In fact, I think we would have had a chance to win had we played our healthy back-up, Greg Jones.

'98 was a mess. Ohio St destroyed us in the season opener and I knew Nehlen's days were numbered. That '98 team was really talented, but underperformed.

Reactions: EnginEER 89

excellent answer....

Undra Johnson
AB Brown
Eugene Napoleon. ..

rotating OLine, every 3rd series

Major

Reggie Rembert...Calvin Philips

Answer: NO

not Necessarily true, your comments

mostly playing a viable Notre Dame team after the Jerry Foust era
(if you count that as a era)

Still can't figured out what happened against ND.

i went to the Fiesta
it was an awful experience. ..

one factor was all the Neutral fans
were w ND. ....80,000 fans....

more of the xJerry Faust factors. ..

and at that time WVU struggled
w Bowl games, in general ...
WVU great at home...all bowl games were away

i went to the Fiesta
it was an awful experience. ..

one factor was all the Neutral fans
were w ND. ....80,000 fans....

more of the xJerry Faust factors. ..

and at that time WVU struggled
w Bowl games, in general ...
WVU great at home...all bowl games were away
I agree, Nehlen was a horrible bowl coach. I think we had the nation's longest bowl losing streak until we beat Ole Miss in Nehlen's last game. Plus Major's injury derailed us. Still, we played below our season level bigly, especially our OL and secondary.

88Boy..................you can't be proved either right or wrong with regard to whether WV could have beaten Notre Dame that day with a healthy Major. Both teams were great! Warez

on subject
as a friendly refresher...

88 was a very physical team and Nehlen ran a physical program especially the Canute Curtis years....
this allowedthe offense to be physical

one thing we know and is obvious,
DH's program physically is limited...
and small size wise...

we can celebrate Wellman, but he was far and few for WVU....

oline is limited because of the overall throwing philosophy

I also wonder what Jerry Porter would have done in the air raid offense..He played QB, DB, and WR @ WVU..what an athlete

i was told that Jerry Porter
was better than Marc Bulger....

and actually would have been a replacement for Major
(20 yesrs in the making)....

fast fwd to today --
(and remembering Wes Ours, Jerry Porter)
when discussing a player like Willie Crest, sadly there us no reason they don't let
Will Crest play at least a half...as a WR...
he'd kill to play

we're 7-5, could be 7-6

don't tell me our coaches are
"rocket scientists",
i think now he's being punished for
leaving the team briefly...

ps...I've seen him practice, live

No doubt that was one of the great ND teams, but I really think you underestimate how valuable Major was to the team (and I'd say it was a huge psychological blow to lose him that early). I don't think there is any way we lose if Major stays healthy.

I can't recall 88 team, I was only an infant. We've had some great offenses this century that centered around Pat White and Geno Smith. But my main argument was the depth of next year's offense. The WR depth is unreal, has it ever been deeper? The RB depth will be very strong with incoming freshman Brown perhaps making an instant impact. Then you also have the TE aspect, we haven't had any legit TEs in a long time. Holgorsen has stated in interviews over past year that he would like to start using TEs but haven't had the horses. Well, he's starting to have them now with Haskins and those freshmen TEs coming in. The OL has almost everyone back. You have Grier with Allison as backup quarterback with Chugnuov being a very solid 3rd string option with Trey Lowe being 4th string.

The amount of depth is incredible.

No doubt that was one of the great ND teams, but I really think you underestimate how valuable Major was to the team (and I'd say it was a huge psychological blow to lose him that early). I don't think there is any way we lose if Major stays healthy.
Just as we really don’t know how good the ‘88 team was. Outside of Syracuse, they literally played nobody. And I believe they only played 2 teams with a winning record.

Certainly the talent is there and the depth is pretty good too. My concern is what appears
Dana's not being able to get the team focused and motivated. I hope I am wrong on this
point. I have just not seen those two characteristics from our Mountaineer Football team.

Just as we really don’t know how good the ‘88 team was. Outside of Syracuse, they literally played nobody. And I believe they only played 2 teams with a winning record.
Bowling Green was 2-8-1
Cal Fullerton was 5-6
Maryland was 5-6
Pitt was 6-5
Virginia Tech was 3-8
East Carolina was 3-8
Boston College was 3-8
Penn State was 5-6
Cincinnati was 3-8
Rutgers was 5-6
Syracuse was 10-2
Notre Dame was 12-0

VT, East Carolina, Boston College and Cincinnati were tied for the WORST record in the country for independents.

WVU and Nehlen had a cakewalk till the final two games, one a W and one an L.

That's not to say the 1988 Mountaineers weren't good. Going unbeaten takes quality even if you're playing Marshall every game. But the schedule was creampuffy, to be sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT