ADVERTISEMENT

Next season

doneagain

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2004
My parent's basement
... We potentially have a lot to look forward to next year in a lot of ways, especially if we do better than expected this year.

If we surprise everyone, including myself and the rest of the fans of WVU and pull out as many as 8 wins this season, next year could be something pretty good, based on what we have returning on defense and offensive skill positions.

However...

The thing that worries me for next season is the offensive line. People are saying they are worried about it this year, but I think the line will be okay, not dominant but okay. Next year though, man, will we have anyone back with starting experience? I wish we had this year’s line next year to go with an additional year of experience for our QBs.

I feel like we really need to surprise everyone this year to take advantage of what we have on the line while we have it, otherwise it could be year 3 or 4 before we see the results we want to see with Brown.

I am hoping Brown can get some games this season where he can get reserves in the lineup for some game experience, but it doesn’t look like that is how it is going to play out this year, unless we are the ones getting blown out, which I am hoping against, obviously.

We aren’t going to have many, if any, games this year that look TODAY like we are just going to run over whoever is on the field against us. I think we are going to have to win some close games this season to get wins. I like our chance against JMU, NC State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech and even Missouri and Baylor. But I can make a case against us in those games too. So the chances to get much mop up duty time for the reserves this season may not be too plentiful.

Neal Brown can do no wrong. Will bring WVU out of the wilderness that Dana Holgersen caused. Might even be this year. No need to worry when Neal Brown is your coach

I thought school was back in for the little kids why is that cum stain on all day long? Oh yeah the weekend, man dickhead is the poster bitch for a 7 day school week

I am just antsy I guess.

I'm with you.

Lots of fans will be looking solely on the win-loss record this year to determine how successful of a season we had but there is a lot more to it than that.

I'd be happy just to see development and progress week to week regardless of the score at the end of the game. That development and progress must occur in all 3 phases of the game - something that was really rarely seen under Dana.

I have more faith in the defense and their development than I did under Gibson. But, right now, its just blind faith. There may come a time I would wish for Gibson back. I hope that day never comes. Also, I hope the days of just fielding a punt, much less returning one, are over, too.

Guess we'll have an idea of where we are at, where we need to go, and how best to get there in about 2 weeks. 53 weeks from now I hope we're in a lot better shape than now.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
In fairness though Dana provided me with some great memories. Example last year at Texas. Probably in my top 5 games of all time..

Reactions: doneagain
In fairness though Dana provided me with some great memories. Example last year at Texas. Probably in my top 5 games of all time..
I tend to agree. I enjoyed some of the DH years but was frustrated with some of the head scratching things that went on. I had hoped he had matured and would take the next step forward. However, if he was not really happy at WVU the next step would more than likely not come. So the mutual parting of the ways is fine with me. Wish all nothing but the best. Looking forward to the next chapter. Hope it is the combination of quality coach and staff the will find a home in Wild Wonderful WV.

Now let’s beat JMU and have a great year

It takes time. What was it year 4 for the dummy at Clemson and espn said they finally there when we hung 70? Clemson it what it is now and it took them 4 years show up and 5 to be for real. Its gonna take a minute. Yeah were gonna have years early where its oh man if we had last years line with this years backs, last years backs with next years receivers, oh man this years secondary with last years line.

The point is to give brown a minute to build to the ultimate goal, where all spots are strong and deep each year, and the question isnt which area is the off one this year that hurts us, just which are the strongest. Thst being said yes a couple of these guys having another year would be great

Wesco is proof that Dana made some changes during the season.
They added the TE to their offense a lot more last season. Especially after the Iowa State game.
You can say whatever you want about Dana Holgersen because he has his faults but you cannot say he doesn't understand how to move the ball and find ways to get his playmakers the ball.

Yes lets see what Brown can do the last 3 or 4 games of the season.

The win/loss record is secondary to improvement in the fundamentals of team this season. If we are in good hands with Neal Brown, and so far we seem to be, the team that starts the season will not be the same team that finishes the season. Wins and losses will take care of themselves so long as we lay a good foundation for the future; I think Neal Brown is the man to do that for WVU.

Reactions: Euell
Wesco is proof that Dana made some changes during the season.
They added the TE to their offense a lot more last season. Especially after the Iowa State game.
You can say whatever you want about Dana Holgersen because he has his faults but you cannot say he doesn't understand how to move the ball and find ways to get his playmakers the ball.

I have to agree about him getting the ball down the field and making changes, but I wish he would have had Wesco in the game plan all season.

I think if the BigEast stayed together you would have seen Dana win the conference the majority of the time.
Dana wanted to be at a school in a similar situation.

I have heard Dana say it himself. He didn't think Oklahoma was going to replace Baker Mayfield.
The guy is a gambler. He betted on his football team and his career last year. It didn't work out.

Neal Brown from what I see is a lot more grounded.
Not saying he isn't afraid to take risk but his football teams are based more on things that work instead of things flashy.

Ultimately I think this is better for West Virginia. I think they need someone who can stabilize the program and build something that works.
Truthfully think Dana was looking for a better job his entire time at WV. This is why I think the Houston job is interesting to him...

But with what they are giving him they are going to be piss if he abandons them.
Better not give them any dirt because they won't be afraid to use it.

I think if the BigEast stayed together you would have seen Dana win the conference the majority of the time.
Dana wanted to be at a school in a similar situation.

I have heard Dana say it himself. He didn't think Oklahoma was going to replace Baker Mayfield.
The guy is a gambler. He betted on his football team and his career last year. It didn't work out.

Neal Brown from what I see is a lot more grounded.
Not saying he isn't afraid to take risk but his football teams are based more on things that work instead of things flashy.

Ultimately I think this is better for West Virginia. I think they need someone who can stabilize the program and build something that works.
Truthfully think Dana was looking for a better job his entire time at WV. This is why I think the Houston job is interesting to him...

But with what they are giving him they are going to be piss if he abandons them.
Better not give them any dirt because they won't be afraid to use it.

He just wants to coach football and not be bothered with the CEO stuff, and he can do that for the most part at Houston. I don’t blame him and believe he will do fine. I don’t think he will look anywhere else because he didn’t like the pressure at WVU, so I can’t imagine him revisiting a pressure Power 5 job.

There is CEO stuff with every job. Just the amount of it is probably different at a flagship state university compared to a smaller university. Plus any coach at a FBS school in Texas has to deal with the high school coaches.
The problem for Dana at Cougar High is that if he becomes a threat in recruiting Houston. Too many sharks in the water. He may be forced to leave to save his career.
Everyone coach is different. Not all have the same personality or are driven by the same things. I am sure Dana took that job knowing that the people there have high expectations for the university's football program. They expect 9+ wins and NYD bowls. Especially with the amount of money they are investing into the program.

As you have already probably seen with Dana he likes attention and creating drama.
Right man for the right place. Good for a G5 program that feels like they deserve to be in a Power Conference. Not as much for a program like WVU. This is why I think Neal Brown is probably a better coach for WV right now because he is a lot more grounded. I think Neal Brown knows who he is and knows who West Virginia is as a school and a state. At least knows what the image they want to show the world should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT