ADVERTISEMENT

New River Gorge National Park?

wvu84fan

All-Conference
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2002
just saw this morning that the New River Gorge will become the 63rd National Park due to funding passed by Congress on Monday night.

I left WV after college and have lived in Charlotte for over 30 years. When my kids were younger my wife and I would take them to the gorge every summer to hike, camp, and raft. I also usually stop there on my way back from football games in Morgantown. I love that area of the state.

I think the National Park designation is great for the Fayetteville area and the state of WV but wondered what those of you who live in that area think. Will that change any hunting or fishing rules? Just seems to me like a really good thing but that is from an outsiders view.

just saw this morning that the New River Gorge will become the 63rd National Park due to funding passed by Congress on Monday night.

I left WV after college and have lived in Charlotte for over 30 years. When my kids were younger my wife and I would take them to the gorge every summer to hike, camp, and raft. I also usually stop there on my way back from football games in Morgantown. I love that area of the state.

I think the National Park designation is great for the Fayetteville area and the state of WV but wondered what those of you who live in that area think. Will that change any hunting or fishing rules? Just seems to me like a really good thing but that is from an outsiders view.
I think it is amazing, truly pumped about it. As for hunting, per Capito, they are actually opening up more hunting area.

I live 2 miles from the river and it won't change things for me. I hunt in the Cotton Hill area pretty close to the river, no change there. I haven't heard anyone comment one way or the other on it but I don't see as many people since working from home. It's not a bad thing, should help out tourism incrementally.

I live 2 miles from the river and it won't change things for me. I hunt in the Cotton Hill area pretty close to the river, no change there. I haven't heard anyone comment one way or the other on it but I don't see as many people since working from home. It's not a bad thing, should help out tourism incrementally.
They are expecting a 20% boost. It's pretty big deal. Only 63 in the country and not many close to this region (Smokey Mountains. Mammoth Caves)

They are expecting a 20% boost. It's pretty big deal. Only 63 in the country and not many close to this region (Smokey Mountains. Mammoth Caves)
If changing the name of the area brings changes that brings more tourism then that's great. I hope it works.

I lived there for many, many years, and there's a petition circulating around town to remove moe from the area.

Only thing I'm concerned over is when will SSS be back open. Last time I communicated with the owner, he gave the impression he's hoping to open back up by the start of Summer. Not sure if that's realistic, but I'm hoping so. Good place to eat, drink, and be around hippies.

Reactions: GrimReaper82
I lived there for many, many years, and there's a petition circulating around town to remove moe from the area.

Only thing I'm concerned over is when will SSS be back open. Last time I communicated with the owner, he gave the impression he's hoping to open back up by the start of Summer. Not sure if that's realistic, but I'm hoping so. Good place to eat, drink, and be around hippies.
I didn't think that building was salvageable and assumed they'd rebuild something in the same spot. I was by there today, looks the same as the day after the fire. Good luck to them. F'ville needs that place open. It's a big draw.

I didn't think that building was salvageable and assumed they'd rebuild something in the same spot. I was by there today, looks the same as the day after the fire. Good luck to them. F'ville needs that place open. It's a big draw.
I'm not sure what he's planning to do. Truth be told, he needed a bigger place, based on all the business he brings in. Even in the off-season, you typically have to wait to get a table. I normally just opt to eat upstairs at The Grove though. I've probably eaten there 40-50 times over the years, and 98% of the time, I get the McKinley.

what is SSS? a restaurant? in Fayetteville?

I think it is amazing, truly pumped about it. As for hunting, per Capito, they are actually opening up more hunting area.
The language that moved through Congress creates a 65,165-acre preserve where hunting and fishing will be allowed and a 7,021-acre park. It keeps 301 acres of the Lower Gorge open for hunting and opens up 368 acres in Grandview for the first time.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
Secret Sandwich Society, a popular restaurant in Fayetteville that got gutted by a fire recently. A live music venue, The Grove was upstairs in same building and met the same fate.
That is awful. Do the owners plan to rebuild and reopen?

That is awful. Do the owners plan to rebuild and reopen?
Yes, and right now, he's planning to do so at the same location, if it's approved to do so. Lewis Rhinehart is the owner, and he posts updates from time to time, either on personal page or the SSS page. He also has a part ownership in a steak house on top of Snowshoe, as well as the place down in Richmond. The Charleston location has been talked about for a while now, so not sure what's really going on with that now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT