Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Reactions: BarbieQdCouch
Rule proposals posted today on NCAA site
When a rule is made there should at least be some idea of how to enforce it...How are you going to stop someone from buying a $40 non-traceable phone and calling a recruit during a dead period? Well you can't.

Rule proposals posted today on NCAA site

I could go with the extra LOI for an injury but not for a guy going pro early. Already it's a problem that the best players (and thus the ones most likely to go pro early) are competed over to an unhealthy degree and rewarding a school when a player goes pro early only intensifies that.

Reactions: sg44gold
When a rule is made there should at least be some idea of how to enforce it...How are you going to stop someone from buying a $40 non-traceable phone and calling a recruit during a dead period? Well you can't.

It's a step in the right direction. There will always be person(s) who spend more time figuring out ways to circumvent the system rather than the compliance. Bottom line: it has to be spelled out in writing.

I could go with the extra LOI for an injury but not for a guy going pro early. Already it's a problem that the best players (and thus the ones most likely to go pro early) are competed over to an unhealthy degree and rewarding a school when a player goes pro early only intensifies that.
I think the rule was modified because by and large, it will benefit everyone. I expect the rule to be modified further down the road, after a few seasons. I don't think the rule was intended as a bias to programs with a larger percentage of pro-bound athletes. Time will tell on this one.

agree..
Am I reading this correctly?..one recruit for each instance?...so Alabama has let's say six players declare for the draft after three years...they now would be able to sign 31 instead of 25? that is ridiculous

Reactions: sg44gold
Without looking into it, my first thought, no ncaa rule goes into effect without 1. Money, so espn etc. Approval, and 2. Unless it's going to further destroy college sports, especially the top 2, and especially football, as if the so called playoff hasn't ended parity and lined.the appropriate pockets enough already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT