WVU Release NCAA Releases APR Data

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
NCAA Releases APR Data

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (April 20, 2016) – West Virginia University’s combined varsity athletic teams have an Academic Progress Rate (APR) score of 979 according to data released today by the NCAA.

“I am delighted that our overall average has increased by five points from last year’s average,” said Director of Athletics Shane Lyons. “Overall, our average score of 979 is strong, and I’m pleased with our academic progress.”

The APR is based upon eligibility and retention of student-athletes on a semester-by-semester basis and is an assessment of real-time academic success. The results of the fall and spring semesters, in a given year, are calculated as that year’s APR score and averaged with the respective scores from the previous three years to provide a four-year (multi-year) snapshot of academic achievement.

Any student-athlete receiving athletic aid in a varsity sport can earn up to four points per year for being academically eligible and remaining enrolled in the institution. A team’s APR is the total points earned on the roster divided by that squad’s total possible points, multiplied by 1,000.

For the 2014-15 academic year, West Virginia had seven teams with perfect 1,000 scores: rifle, wrestling, men’s basketball, women’s soccer, rowing, tennis and women’s swimming & diving.

Teams must achieve a 930 multi-year APR to avoid immediate penalties (involving the possible reduction of practice time and access to postseason competition). The current multi-year APR scores for WVU’s varsity teams (2011-12 to 2014-15): baseball 948; men’s basketball 1,000; women’s basketball 995; cross country 993; football 945; gymnastics 987; rifle 980; rowing 1,000; men’s soccer 972; women’s soccer 997; men’s swimming and diving 983; women’s swimming and diving 994; tennis 962; indoor track and field 985; outdoor track and field 985; volleyball 949; and wrestling 966.

“I would like to congratulate the men’s basketball and rowing programs for their tremendous academic success by posting a perfect four-year APR score of 1,000,” said Lyons. “I would also like to recognize and congratulate the rifle, wrestling, men’s basketball, women’s soccer, rowing, tennis and women’s swimming & diving teams for their perfect scores in 2014-15. I’m pleased that we have had 30 teams with perfect scores in the last four years.”

All 17 teams exceeded the 930 four-year score, and no WVU team will receive APR academic penalties from the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News