ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release NCAA adopts interim name, image and likeness policy

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
NCAA college athletes will have the opportunity to benefit from their name, image and likeness beginning Thursday. Governance bodies in all three divisions today adopted a uniform interim policy suspending NCAA name, image and likeness rules for all incoming and current student-athletes in all sports.

“This is an important day for college athletes since they all are now able to take advantage of name, image and likeness opportunities,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said. “With the variety of state laws adopted across the country, we will continue to work with Congress to develop a solution that will provide clarity on a national level. The current environment — both legal and legislative — prevents us from providing a more permanent solution and the level of detail student-athletes deserve.”

The policy provides the following guidance to college athletes, recruits, their families and member schools:

• Individuals can engage in NIL activities that are consistent with the law of the state where the school is located. Colleges and universities are responsible for determining whether those activities are consistent with state law.
  • College athletes who attend a school in a state without an NIL law can engage in this type of activity without violating NCAA rules related to name, image and likeness.
  • Individuals can use a professional services provider for NIL activities.
  • Student-athletes should report NIL activities consistent with state law or school and conference requirements to their school.
“Today, NCAA members voted to allow college athletes to benefit from name, image and likeness opportunities, no matter where their school is located,” said Division I Board of Directors chair Denise Trauth, president at Texas State. “With this interim solution in place, we will continue to work with Congress to adopt federal legislation to support student-athletes.”

While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.

“The new policy preserves the fact college sports are not pay-for-play,” said Division II Presidents Council chair Sandra Jordan, chancellor at the University of South Carolina Aiken. “It also reinforces key principles of fairness and integrity across the NCAA and maintains rules prohibiting improper recruiting inducements. It’s important any new rules maintain these principles.”

Division III Presidents Council chair Fayneese Miller, president at Hamline, said the Association will continue to work with Congress to develop a national law that will help colleges and universities, student-athletes and their families better navigate the name, image and likeness landscape.

“The new interim policy provides college athletes and their families some sense of clarity around name, image and likeness, but we are committed to doing more,” Miller said. “We need to continue working with Congress for a more permanent solution.”

The temporary policy will remain in place until federal legislation or new NCAA rules are adopted. With the NIL interim policy, schools and conferences may choose to adopt their own additional policies. Click here to access educational materials.

Nothing quite like waiting until the last minute, NCAA. Several states' NIL laws become effective tomorrow. The Ohio and Kentucky Governors have created NIL laws via executive orders. Governor Justice should do the same, assuming that he hasn't done so already.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Been a long time coming, about time.

WV will have to get on this quickly as players are going to go where they have access to NIL rights, and WVU desperately needs quality players.

Since there are fewer people and major businesses in the state compared to others, WVU should already be working to find ways to level the field in this area for WVU.

Sports won’t matter
These female athletes going be showing off on IG for followers now
They already started prior without compensation

Some will make money while others will stand around and get pissed because they make nothing.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I have yet to understand the fascination with social media. It’s a younger generation thing I guess. I check my email & finances online, but not much else. Never been on Facebook or whatever else they got—just not my thing.

As for how this new rule will change college sports and athletes, I would say not at all. Top recruits and players (talking football & basketball) still will get paid via cash under the table & parents compensation through jobs and the interest and relatability to college sports will continue to diminish amongst alumni and longtime fans.

I’m wondering when the tipping point or perfect storm hits that cause a correction so to speak. I’m thinking it’s not that far off.

I have yet to understand the fascination with social media. It’s a younger generation thing I guess. I check my email & finances online, but not much else. Never been on Facebook or whatever else they got—just not my thing.

As for how this new rule will change college sports and athletes, I would say not at all. Top recruits and players (talking football & basketball) still will get paid via cash under the table & parents compensation through jobs and the interest and relatability to college sports will continue to diminish amongst alumni and longtime fans.

I’m wondering when the tipping point or perfect storm hits that cause a correction so to speak. I’m thinking it’s not that far off.
Perhaps as soon as a corporation paying athletes for their likeness only because they want them at a certain school. They have just now made cheating legal. Shoe companies should have waited a few more years.

Will schools now treat scholarships as a contract for players. If you enter the portal you must pay a buyout just as if coaches leave.

If they mention the school or use any of their insignias or copyrights they will owe the school a portion of that as well.

Hope they remember to pay their taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT