ADVERTISEMENT

My euphoric view of WVU's decimation of Texas Tech

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
This was more than a 48-17 demolition of the #1 offense in America. It was a complete game on all sides of the ball.

The offensive line, the running game, the passing game, Skyler’s quarterbacking, the KO team, the defense. All got an A+ for their performances today.

Skyler Howard passed for 318 yards, 1 TD and NO interceptions.

WVU had 650 yards of total offense.

Better yet, 318 yards passing, 332 rushing. About as balanced as you can make it.

Russell Shell ran for 104 yards and 2 TDs.

Justin Crawford ran for a TD and had 6 yards per carry in the first half before going out with an injury.

The WV offense allowed NO sacks of Howard in the game.

The WVU defense held Texas Tech, the #1 offense in the country, to 17 points (and ONE TD when the starters were in the game for both teams). And had FOUR sacks! Of a QB who is about as elusive as any QB in the country. As I said, catching Mahones is like playing WhackAMole. You hit him there, he pops up over here.

The WVU KO team, a problem for years, kicked off into and out of the end zone for the first three quarters.

Dakiel Shorts had 3 receptions for 100 yards. Jovon Durante had 83, Ka’Raun White 67, Garry Jennings 47.

Shell rushed for 104 yards, Kennedy McKoy for 99 yards and Skyler for 89 yards. With that offensive line today, it didn’t matter who carried the ball for WVU. The team averaged 7.2 yards PER CARRY rushing.

Also, WVU has won 10 of its last 11 games. That’s Alabama numbers in the Power 5.

I know the spectre of 2012’s 5-0 start, top 5 ranking, Heisman front-runner, then the freefall to 7-6, is in the back of all our minds, including mine.

I know that the rest of the schedule is brutal: TCU, at Oklahoma State, Kansas, at Texas, Oklahoma, at Iowa State and unbeaten Baylor. OK, Kansa and Iowa State are not as fearsome as the others, but you can't let up against any Big 12 team or you'll end up a loser.

But this is the proudest I have been of my alma mater in 5 years.

If I’m dreaming, don’t wake me.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T ore apart Texas Tech, 48-17

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State