ADVERTISEMENT

Mountaineer Memories Pre 1995

dangerousdaneerfan

All-Conference
Aug 14, 2007
Sistersville, West Virginia
Any Mountaineer fan born after 1995 will never know the joy of these moments...
1 - Jack Fleming and Woody O'Hara
2 - "Finally!!!!"
3 - Old Mountaineer Field
4 - "There goes Major!!!!"
5 - 2 11-0 seasons
6 - Bill McKenzie
7 - Hoss' kneel in the endzone
8 - "They got Flutie!!!!"
9 - 1:30pm kickoffs
10 - Ed Hill's TD catch
Anyone else want to add on, go ahead!!!!

Reactions: DoogEER
Attended my first game in 1977 at Old Mountaineer Field. Saw the first game for RB Robert Alexander. Got to see 5 games there between 1977-79. I posted some photos from those games a couple of years ago.
Also at opening of "new" Mountaineer Field in 1980 - with John Denver there playing Country Roads at midfield.
But I miss Jack Flemming & Woody O'Hara the most.
I only made it 2 or 3 games a year. (Long ride from Mercer County.)
I was at the 1984 Boston College game, "they got Flutie!" Probably my favorite memory.
-Winter Tim

Reactions: locustwv
Attended my first game in 1977 at Old Mountaineer Field. Saw the first game for RB Robert Alexander. Got to see 5 games there between 1977-79. I posted some photos from those games a couple of years ago.
Also at opening of "new" Mountaineer Field in 1980 - with John Denver there playing Country Roads at midfield.
But I miss Jack Flemming & Woody O'Hara the most.
I only made it 2 or 3 games a year. (Long ride from Mercer County.)
I was at the 1984 Boston College game, "they got Flutie!" Probably my favorite memory.
-Winter Tim
I was at the 84’ Boston college game. One the greatest memories of my life. I was 11.

2 - "Finally!!!!"
5 - 2 11-0 seasons
6 - Bill McKenzie
10 - Ed Hill's TD catch
Rarely on TV if it all.

Rarely on TV if it all.
I think 1976 WVU @ Pitt was an ABC game. I don't remember WVU being on network TV again until at Pitt in 1982. There was Raycom or whatever for PeachBowl 1981. I think MSN showed Hawaii game in 1980 in middle of the night. I think Okie 82 was ESPN.

But you are right. Your Mountaineer experience back then was either Jack on radio - or go to the game.

The 82 Oklahoma game was only closed circuit to the WVU coliseum and the Charleston Civic Center. I was at the Civic Center. ESPN had not received the rights back then for live broadcast and did replay only.

Reactions: 1duluth1
1988 Penn State game was on ABC. The 1993 Miami game as well.

ESPN began airing taped college football games during the 1979 regular season. The network was limited to airing tape-delayed games because the NCAA controlled television rights through exclusive contracts. In 1982 ESPN could air live bowl games because they were independent contracts.

ESPN began broadcasting live regular-season games during the 1984 season, beginning with a game between BYU and Pittsburgh on September 1, 1984.

1988 Penn State game was on ABC. The 1993 Miami game as well.

ESPN began airing taped college football games during the 1979 regular season. The network was limited to airing tape-delayed games because the NCAA controlled television rights through exclusive contracts. In 1982 ESPN could air live bowl games because they were independent contracts.

ESPN began broadcasting live regular-season games during the 1984 season, beginning with a game between BYU and Pittsburgh on September 1, 1984.
And I watched ESPN carry the WVU-Penn St game in 1984. I think that was when portable lights were brought in so the game could be played at night.
We broke the streak that game... and Rich Rod had an interception.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
1) The Pit. That alcohol drenched, glass shard strewn mud hole was pure distilled WVU when we knew how to party.
2) The Miami game in 1993. Loudest game ever at Mountaineer Field.
3) Major Harris. Peyton Manning didn't mention him off the top of his head on MNF by accident. Generational talent.

And I watched ESPN carry the WVU-Penn St game in 1984. I think that was when portable lights were brought in so the game could be played at night.
We broke the streak that game... and Rich Rod had an interception.
Larry Holly got the pick to clinch it. Couldn't clear the field so Joe ran to locker roo with 35 seconds left.

Rodriguez int was earlier

I think 1976 WVU @ Pitt was an ABC game. I don't remember WVU being on network TV again until at Pitt in 1982. There was Raycom or whatever for PeachBowl 1981. I think MSN showed Hawaii game in 1980 in middle of the night. I think Okie 82 was ESPN.

But you are right. Your Mountaineer experience back then was either Jack on radio - or go to the game.
AND Jack on the radio was nearly an equal of being at the game. He excelled in giving game description in glorious detail so the listener could 'see' and experience what was occurring. No missed plays and leaving the listener not knowing who did what during the previous or current play. Absolutely magnificent.

Last edited:
2 - "Finally!!!!"
5 - 2 11-0 seasons
6 - Bill McKenzie
10 - Ed Hill's TD catch
Danny (lightening) Buggs punt return for TD vs Maryland with 6 seconds remaining 1973.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
1) The Pit. That alcohol drenched, glass shard strewn mud hole was pure distilled WVU when we knew how to party.
2) The Miami game in 1993. Loudest game ever at Mountaineer Field.
3) Major Harris. Peyton Manning didn't mention him off the top of his head on MNF by accident. Generational talent.

My friends back home (new york state) didn't believe me when I told them stories about The Pit...

It was the original autonomous zone.

I remember a group of VT fans walking by the Pit once. It was not a pretty sight.

We used to chant: The Pits on Fire, The Pits on Fire! When ball games were in the bag ….. Oh wait, that was what we called the old gym at West Virginia State: The Pit. That place rocked back when Ron Moore and Company went all the way to the NAIA finals.

I remember sitting in the bowl end of old Mountaineer Field and it felt like an earthquake when the drum line started up under the stands and how loud it was when the band ran out on the field from the tunnel.

Reactions: 1duluth1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT