ADVERTISEMENT

Most under-appreciated single season by WVU football player

FLwvufan17

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2011
Interested to hear which Mountaineer put up the most amazing single season in history that you feel went somewhat under appreciated by our fanbase.

Now, I don't know if this board represents our true fan base or not, but if it does then I have to go with Grier's 2018 season based on what a lot of people post on here.

Season Accomplishments:
  • 4th place Heisman finish (2nd highest WVU finish ever behind Major's 1987 season, and tied with Slaton's 2006 season)
  • Senior CLASS Award Winner
  • All-American on multiple outlets (not 1st team)
  • 3,864 passing yards, 67% completion, 37 TD's, 8 INT in 11 regular season games
  • Maxwell and Manning award finalist
  • Career-high 539 passing yards and 5 TD's on senior night vs #4 Oklahoma
  • Ranked #1 in Big 12 in completions/game, passing yards/game and passing touchdowns/game (beating Heisman winner Kyler Murray in all categories)
  • Orchestrated one of the greatest WVU road wins in history with overall and late game performance at #15 Texas, in what was their biggest single game attendance ever
  • National Offensive Player of the Week in performance vs Tennessee
  • Led WVU to as high as 6th in the AP Poll
Cons:
  • Some crucial late-game turnovers, particularly versus Oklahoma in crunch time when he tried to do too much
  • Chose to sit-out bowl game to avoid injury for upcoming NFL Draft
What is interesting to me is how many people choose to only look at the last two points when judging Grier, and not his entire body of work during the whole season.

But let's look at the last two since it'll be brought up... how can you blame him for the turnovers, but not give him equal praise for his other-worldly throws in that game which led to 539 passing yards and 5 TD's? We clearly aren't in that game without him, as we had no answer for Kyler. And the bowl game... how do you crucify him for that decision, while also not crucifying Yodny and Jennings for doing the same thing? Nobody says a word about those two not playing. Or our HC who was already leaving for UH before the bowl week even started. And if you want to claim Jennings was hurt, well, he didn't look very hurt when he torched OU for 225 yards on 7 catches the prior game.

Another thing to keep in mind, Grier was dealing with a defense the entire year that finished in the bottom half of the FBS in Total Defense and Scoring Defense, which leads to quite a bit of pressure to constantly have to outscore the opponent in a shootout every game. So, that's my pick. And the way we finished the year as a team didn't help the overall perception of his accomplishments that season.

Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on which Mountaineer put up a historic season that they feel was overlooked by our fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News