ADVERTISEMENT

Most emotional yo-yo team ever?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
WVU beat #1 Baylor, 89-68.
WVU beat #1 Kansas 85-69.
WVU destroyed two #1 teams in a 5-game stretch by a combined total of THIRTY SEVEN POINTS!!!

After losing to 2 Big 12 bottom feeders and only beating a 3rd bottom feeder by 2 points.

WVU is shooting a little better than 60% for the season at the free throw line. They made 82.6% against Kansas, which shot 40% (!!!!!) from the free throw line.

This must be the most bipolar team in Mountaineer history.

Pollsters probably don’t know where to rank WVU. They make up #7 and they lose 2 in a row. They make them #18 and they knock off #1.

WVU is 15-4 but the 4 losses were by a combined total of 11 points. 15 more points and they would be undefeated.

Perplexing, huh?

Next is Texas A&M, 12th in the 14-team SEC standings and 10-8 overall.

Uh-oh.

16-4 is our record. And wvu has blown out many teams. The b12 is a very strong conference top to bottom. Ksu and OU have talent. Bottom line is this team will be remembered for how it does in the NCAA tournament.

WVU beat #1 Baylor, 89-68.
WVU beat #1 Kansas 85-69.
WVU destroyed two #1 teams in a 5-game stretch by a combined total of THIRTY SEVEN POINTS!!!

After losing to 2 Big 12 bottom feeders and only beating a 3rd bottom feeder by 2 points.

WVU is shooting a little better than 60% for the season at the free throw line. They made 82.6% against Kansas, which shot 40% (!!!!!) from the free throw line.

This must be the most bipolar team in Mountaineer history.

Pollsters probably don’t know where to rank WVU. They make up #7 and they lose 2 in a row. They make them #18 and they knock off #1.

WVU is 15-4 but the 4 losses were by a combined total of 11 points. 15 more points and they would be undefeated.

Perplexing, huh?

Next is Texas A&M, 12th in the 14-team SEC standings and 10-8 overall.

Uh-oh.

NCAA tournament will define this team's legacy. We are not winning an outright Big XII title given our 3 losses with 2 road games @KU and @Baylor remaining. Winning the Big XII tournament would be nice but I doubt we take out KU in that setting in Kansas City. At the very least we know that we can compete with the elite tier of the bracket so the possibility of a Final Four or even Championship run is real. However we are extremely vulnerable to upset as we have yet to show at any time during the "Press Virginia" era that we can adapt when we dont tilt the court in our favor even against mediocre competition like OU, Temple, Texas Tech, Stephen F Austin, etc.

Losing 4 games by 4 points or less is bad? We make free throws in those games like we did against UVA and Kansas and we won those and are undefeated.

Free throws are huge for us. We were over 80% last night.

Calls Kansas St a bottom feeder

Wants his opinion respected.....
FIFTH in the Big 12. Barely not in the bottom half. Close enough for me. Everyone but you accepts my known qualifications, including newspaper giants who paid me well for it. Huggins likes me, too. It's mutual.

Last edited:
Huggs said in his postgame presser that he's a glass half-full type of guy. He said one way to look at the season is that this team is 4 possessions away from being undefeated. [WVU]

Thats one way to look at it, but IMO the only way to look at this team when judging in the scope of how we stack up to the rest of the country is that we have an extremely deep team of solid power 5 college players that is a major problem to deal with for even some of the best (KU, Baylor, etc) and most disciplined (UVA) in college basketball. We also have a very obvious flaw that we almost never overcome when it is exposed by teams who can handle our pressure, and those teams that do handle our pressure well are not simply limited to NBA backcourts as we have been learning against teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Temple, SFA, etc.

Thats one way to look at it, but IMO the only way to look at this team when judging in the scope of how we stack up to the rest of the country is that we have an extremely deep team of solid power 5 college players that is a major problem to deal with for even some of the best (KU, Baylor, etc) and most disciplined (UVA) in college basketball. We also have a very obvious flaw that we almost never overcome when it is exposed by teams who can handle our pressure, and those teams that do handle our pressure well are not simply limited to NBA backcourts as we have been learning against teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Temple, SFA, etc.
The other side of the coin: It's exhausting and rattling to deal with Press Virginia. Kansas handled it well but the intense pressure caused the Jayhawks, as it has others, to miss free throws late in the game because their mind and legs and arms are below par after withstanding 10 pitbulls every second of the game on every inch of the floor. I love it! WVU is, indeed, a team who sum is more than the total of its parts.

Huggs said in his postgame presser that he's a glass half-full type of guy. He said one way to look at the season is that this team is 4 possessions away from being undefeated. [WVU]
I actually think this is probably pretty true. I haven't watched every game but I've watched a couple of the losses, and in each game it seemed they were one defensive hold or one offensive score from breaking the game open.

I think it's less of WVU being a bipolar team and more of the Big 12 being a pretty competitively similar league from top to bottom.

We'll roll Texas A&M Saturday @ Noon to show the SEC weasels all they got is Football and no other sports (Excluding UK, who stinks at FB!).

I think it's less of WVU being a bipolar team and more of the Big 12 being a pretty competitively similar league from top to bottom.

We'll roll Texas A&M Saturday @ Noon to show the SEC weasels all they got is Football and no other sports (Excluding UK, who stinks at FB!).

I think what a lot of people have overlooked is that the top 8 teams in the Big 12 are 85-10 in non-conference games. That's an awesome domination by the Big 12. I know there are cupcakes in there, as there are in everyone else's schedule, but an 89.5% winning percentage against The Little Sisters of the Poor would be remarkable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT