ADVERTISEMENT

Moo Moore passed away

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001

WVU basketball standout Harry Moo Moore passes away

What great teams they were! Mark Workman at center, Jim Sottile’s nerve-wracking guarding that “surrounded” the guy with the ball, who often was called for the 5-second rule or traveling, Red Holmes, one of WVU’s best guards ever, Eddie Becker (1951-2 roster erroneously lists him as “Decker”), a 3-point set shot artist if they had the 3-point rule in those days (I was in WVU Fieldhouse when he made 6 straight long shots in the first half).

Becker had a career 40.7% field goal percentage at WVU! And most of those were long shots! In 1954 Eddie averaged 18.7 points a game without having a ton of dunks like so many tall centers did. Amazing!

• Harry “Moo” Moore, of Moundsville, passed away on September 11, 2018 at Reynolds Memorial Hospital at the age of 89.
Moo was born on June 22, 1929 in Moundsville, and was the son of the late Arch A. Sr and Genevieve Jones Moore.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his sister, Joy Sievertson; and brother, Arch A. Moore Jr., both of Glen Dale, WV.

Moo graduated from Moundsville High School with the class of 1948 and was a standout on the Trojan basketball squad. While a Trojan, he held numerous scoring records, many which lasted over 15 years. Moo was inducted into the Ohio Valley Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.

He earned a basketball scholarship to West Virginia University, where he played forward on three varsity teams with a combined 60-20 record, including a Southern Conference regular season and tournament championship. His 84 percent career free-throw percentage ranks No. 2 All-time at WVU. Moo averaged 12.8 points a game as a senior and was selected honorable mention All-America.

In 1952, Moo was chosen in the sixth round of the NBA Draft by the Syracuse Nationals (now the Philadelphia 76ers). Rather than joining the NBA, Moo fulfilled his obligation and joined The United States Army infantry and served from 1953-55. In 1954, Moo was selected to play in the Armed Forces Pan-American Games in Mexico and International Games in Germany. In 2007, he was inducted into the West Virginia University Sports Hall of Fame.

Moo’s greatest loves were his family and the West Virginia Mountaineers.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Alice; his son, Harry Jr., and his wife, Lisa Moore of Moundsville; two daughters, Jennie and her husband, Greg Wahl of Cary, NC, and Mary and her husband, Justin Anderson of Weirton, WV; two grandsons, Harrison Wahl of Cary, and Henry Anderson of Weirton; two step- grandchildren, Rebecca and Joseph Harkins; as well as many loved nieces and nephews.

A memorial service to honor Moo is being planned; day and time to be announced at a later date.

Arrangements entrusted to Grisell Funeral Home & Crematory, Moundsville.

Memorial donations in Moo’s honor may be made to Trinity Episcopal Church, P.O. Drawer P, Moundsville, WV 26041.

Sympathy expressions at grisellfuneralhomes.com.

I hate to hear that. I was thinking about Moo the other day. I knew him casually through my Red-Hot Republican Grandpa and talking to him before football games

Nice guy, I hate to see him go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT