ADVERTISEMENT

Michelangelo and Toussaint to Matthews: Same feeling in my body!!!!

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
I got walking through the Sistine Chapel and marveling at Michelangelo's masterpieces including the Last Judgment. I was so overwhelmed that the Vatican guards had to force me to leave the room so that others could come in.

Saint Joe's pass to Saint Matthew was pretty much the Last Judgment for Iowa State, too. And my heart and mind were as impressed as I was with Michelangelo's masterpieces!

I have never been prouder of this team this season. I've extolled their talents, pointed to their 10 losses by single digits, mostly against Top 25 teams, but ....

This team has come together with fire and determination, reducing turnovers, making free throws more often, being super-efficient on defensive rebounds (VERY critical to win games), and using their hands to harass ball-handlers rather than just reaching in for mindless fouls.

This has NOT been an easy transformation but these NINE college transfers always had the talent. They had to follow Huggins' directions and figure out how to amalgamate more productively. Boy, have they in recent games!!!

Think about it: In 3 days, ON THE ROAD IN THE BIG 12, WVU came close on Saturday to beating #3 Kansas, losing by 2 because they missed THREE shots in the final 18 seconds, then stayed out West for the Ames, Iowa game on Monday, had the lead at halftime, lost the lead, then won at the end when it counts the most.

In TWO days 1 miracle and 1 almost-miracle in by far the toughest conference in America!

Huggins Heroes are ready for Kansas State in Morgantown on Saturday to finish the regular season, an opening Big 12 tournament contest against a bottom 4 team in the conference and then on to March Madness where a run to the Sweet Sixteen would not surprise me.

This team got scorching hot when it counts the most, right before the Big 12 tournament and March Madness.

The pain and agony of the 10 single-digit losses is there, but muted by what I have seen lately.

It's a great time to be a Mountaineer!

Reactions: Stan Kiser
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT