ADVERTISEMENT

Merge or poach?

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Does the Big 12 merge with the remaining teams of the PAC 12 or poach some teams? A merged conference would have 22 teams likely divided into two divisions. The B1G is now coast to coast, so geography is not the deciding factor. Money is, as well as some security. Does the Big 12 stand to gain more with a merger? I don't know the answer but glad our new commissioner has such strong media ties and will soon know the answer.

As David Hookstead wrote, if the Big 12 poaches some PAC 12 teams, the PAC 12 is dead. He believes that Oregon is likely going to the B1G but not Washington. Hookstead believes that Washington could end up in the Big 12.

I think, for once, the Big 12 is in the driver's seat. So glad we have a new commissioner. He has so many contacts and so much experience. I don't see how Washington State, Oregon State, Stanford and Cal help the Big 12. I do see how Colorado, Utah, Zona, ASU and Washington help. With Yormark's extensive media contacts, my guess is that he can figure out how to best optimize revenues, either through poaching or merging. Washington is an outlier if we poach. It would likely mean we poach 6 teams. Who is the 6th? Who brings in the most revenue and prestige?

I would rather poach but merging may be easier to get done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News