ADVERTISEMENT

McDonald's stock reaches all time high

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
after announcing kiosks will replace cashiers. And Libs want a minimum wage of $15. Insane.

McDonald’s Shares Reach All-Time High Following Rollout of Automated Ordering Kiosks
mcdonalds-minimum-wage-protest-getty-640x480.jpg

Joe Raedle/Getty Images

by LUCAS NOLAN22 Jun 2017332

McDonald’s shares reached an all-time high following the announcement that automated ordering kiosks will be replacing cashiers in 2,500 stores across the U.S.
CNBC reports that McDonald’s shares have reached an all-time high following the announcement of automated ordering kiosks replacing cashiers in 2,500 stores across the country. The fast food chain’s shares increased in value by 26 percent this year compared to the S&P 500’s 10 percent return. Andrew Charles of the financial services firm Cowen cited McDonald’s plans to replace many paid workers with automated ordering machines and the roll out of mobile ordering in 14,000 stores across the U.S. by the end of 2017 for the increase in McDonald’s share prices.

“MCD is cultivating a digital platform through mobile ordering and Experience of the Future (EOTF), an in-store technological overhaul most conspicuous through kiosk ordering and table delivery,” said Charles in a note to clients on Tuesday. “Our analysis suggests efforts should bear fruit in 2018 with a combined 130 bps [basis points] contribution to U.S. comps [comparable sales].”

Charles raised his valuation of McDonald’s shares from $142 to $180, showing a 17.5 percent increase from Monday’s market close. Charles also raised his earnings-per-share forecast for 2018 from $6.71 to $6.87 compared to the Wall Street estimation of $6.83. “MCD has done a great job launching popular innovations within the context of simplifying the menu, while introducing more effective value initiatives that have recently begun to improve the brand’s value perceptions,” wrote Charles.

advertisement

Fast food chains have been moving towards automation for some time now, with chains such as Caliburger even introducing burger flipping robots. Flippy, the burger-flipping robot, was developed by Miso Robotics and began working in Caliburger in March.

“Much like self-driving vehicles, our system continuously learns from its experiences to improve over time,” said David Zito, CEO of Miso Robotics, “Though we are starting with the relatively ‘simple’ task of cooking burgers, our proprietary AI software allows our kitchen assistants to be adaptable and therefore can be trained to help with almost any dull, dirty or dangerous task in a commercial kitchen — whether it’s frying chicken, cutting vegetables or final plating.”

What, no comment on the $15 minimum wage?

Nope. But will these job losses be on Trump or Obama? [laughing]

Hell, I say make them go back to the $4.25/hour wage! Damn straight! (I might add, I hate fast food....don't eat it......cannot stand it.......wish they'd all go out of business)

Reactions: Boomboom521
Nope. But will these job losses be on Trump or Obama? [laughing]

Hell, I say make them go back to the $4.25/hour wage! Damn straight! (I might add, I hate fast food....don't eat it......cannot stand it.......wish they'd all go out of business)

The $15 minimum wage push will absolutely guarantee massive job losses in the service industry. I get the feeling that many liberals do not understand basic economics.

Maybe we should pass a law requiring McDonald's to hire a middleman to sell its food. Would you have a problem with that?

I'm glad you've come around on this issue. I've said on here a dozen times that raising the minimum wage to $15 is only going to put fast food workers out of work. But the larger problem is that AI is getting so good that more and more people are going to be put out of work and unlike in the past it looks like those jobs won't be completely replaced with new ones. This should be easy to see considering we're at the point where cars can drive themselves and millions of people drive for a living.

So the larger, more important question is, what do we do in the next couple decades when there simply aren't jobs for people no matter how willing they are to work?

ETA: BTW, this was meant to reply to WVPATX so that's who the "you" is. Apparently people more pro-free market than him are "libs," which makes him I don't know what.

Last edited:
Maybe we should pass a law requiring McDonald's to hire a middleman to sell its food. Would you have a problem with that?

I'm glad you've come around on this issue. I've said on here a dozen times that raising the minimum wage to $15 is only going to put fast food workers out of work. But the larger problem is that AI is getting so good that more and more people are going to be put out of work and unlike in the past it looks like those jobs won't be completely replaced with new ones. This should be easy to see considering we're at the point where cars can drive themselves and millions of people drive for a living.

So the larger, more important question is, what do we do in the next couple decades when there simply aren't jobs for people no matter how willing they are to work?

ETA: BTW, this was meant to reply to WVPATX so that's who the "you" is. Apparently people more pro-free market than him are "libs," which makes him I don't know what.

I'm very free market. Libs are the ones pushing the $15/Hr. minimum wage. It will cost jobs which they apparently don't know or care about. Your argument is with your own kind, not conservatives.

AI will definitely affect the job market. That is why it is so essential to stop the flow of low wage, low skilled workers into this country. But libs don't want to do that. You are going to have more and more people competing for the low skilled jobs driving down wages even further. But libs want the Hispanic vote and don't care about wages or the middle to low class employees.

I am all in favor of a merit based immigration strategy. Stop the inflow of illegal aliens with low skills, base immigration not on reuniting families but on immigrants that possess high skills, have lots of capital, are entrepreneurs, etc. Technology is unpredictable. We don't know the next 7th Wave technology that will change our lives and our livelihoods.

all the crop pickers going back to Mexico will open plenty of jobs...

right ?

mcdonald's%20create%20your%20taste-6.jpg

Last edited:
Its good for the economy because every time you buy a burger you are not paying the labor costs of someone to take your money.
IMO, those cheeseburgers should be $8.00 a pop....dem shits are not good for you Dave (pun intended).

The $15 minimum wage push will absolutely guarantee massive job losses in the service industry. I get the feeling that many liberals do not understand basic economics.
Why is the loss of jobs coming as a surprise to anyone? The insistence on $15 an hour has been billed as leading to the losses if implemented. Only so much money in the pot to pay salaries. Question is 'how many will be receiving money from that pot'? When the money runs out; so does the number employed. Simple. If there is a way to automate efficiently then the need for the same number (or more) workers is alleviated. I agree, too many vocal oflks have absolutely no understanding and appreciation for basic economics.Also need to understand and remember that jobs such as these were never intended to become 'career' positions. To consider raising a family while employed in such a position is to totally misunderstand and misuse the business model for this industry. Again, no understanding of economics. But if only the surface is evaluated, screaming for higher wages makes the uninformed feel like they are really caring when, in reality, they are doing them far more harm than being helpful and supportive.

Agree with you guys on the fries and cheeseburgers. Anything else I've ever ordered from there was pretty bad. Their grilled chicken sandwich is always dry and tough.

I long ago ceased allowing fear an opportunity to influence my decision making. When I do die, not sure when that'll be, but when it happens, I'll have died never saying no to myself. I'll have experienced everything life has to offer, including those delicious, extremely salty treats from everyone's favorite Scottish steakhouse.
Living IS what matters....death isn't the only thing that stops it.

Its good for the economy because every time you buy a burger you are not paying the labor costs of someone to take your money.

So, are you saying the price of fast food will go down? I'm going to call BULLSH!T on that one, if anything I bet costs go up.

Oh, I don't eat fast food. I despise it. The closest I get is a steakhouse every now and then. And when I have to eat fast food, it's a grilled chicken salad of some sort for me.

So, are you saying the price of fast food will go down? I'm going to call BULLSH!T on that one, if anything I bet costs go up.

Oh, I don't eat fast food. I despise it. The closest I get is a steakhouse every now and then. And when I have to eat fast food, it's a grilled chicken salad of some sort for me.
I didnt say the price would go down. You have a bad habit of putting words in people's mouths but nobody said that. You are a moron.

I didnt say the price would go down. You have a bad habit of putting words in people's mouths but nobody said that. You are a moron.

Ok, you said "not paying for labor cost"........then what are you saying? Logic says that if you cut labor costs, then you are suggesting the price will go down........if not, then what the Hell is the point of your post?

Ok, you said "not paying for labor cost"........then what are you saying? Logic says that if you cut labor costs, then you are suggesting the price will go down........if not, then what the Hell is the point of your post?
I guess your idea of ligic is a little different than what I learned. Their cost going down can mean a lot of things but not the price. Price will always be set by the market.

I guess your idea of ligic is a little different than what I learned. Their cost going down can mean a lot of things but not the price. Price will always be set by the market.

Excuse me. I thought we were talking about the consumer......not the net profit margin gain made by a multi-billion dollar franchise. Kudos to them!

Excuse me. I thought we were talking about the consumer......not the net profit margin gain made by a multi-billion dollar franchise. Kudos to them!
I am talking about the consumer because most folks have retirements or pensions and other inveatments and stronger profits make for better returns. Kudos to all of us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT