ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Mazey Signs WVU's Highest-Ranked Recruiting Class in Program History

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (November 15, 2017) – West Virginia University baseball coach Randy Mazey has announced that the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history has committed to WVU for the 2019 season.

The signing class of 15 student-athletes is ranked No. 28 in the nation by Perfect Game, the best in WVU history and the first in the top 30. This year’s class eclipses the 2016 class, ranked No. 41 on signing day in 2015.

The class features Ryan Bergert (Canton, Ohio/GlenOak High), Drew Britt (Downingtown, Pennsylvania/Downingtown West High), Alec Burns (Amherst, New Hampshire/Souhegan High), Lawrence Butler (Atlanta, Georgia/Westlake High), Austin Davis (Orlando, Florida/Conrad Academy), Phillip Dull (Alum Bank, Pennsylvania/Chestnut Ridge High), Brock Helverson (Schwenksville, Pennsylvania/Perkiomen Valley High), Madison Jeffrey (Barboursville, West Virginia/Cabell Midland High), Gabe Kurtzhals (Fort Worth, Texas/Boswell High), Jeremy Lapp-Barger (Sykesville, Maryland/Century High), Theo McDowell (Essex Junction, Vermont/Salisbury School), Zach Ottinger (Marietta, Georgia/Lassiter High), Daniel Ouderkirk (Penn Laird, Virginia/Spotswood High), JJ Sousa (Palm Coast, Florida/Matanzas High) and Tevin Tucker (Petersburg, Virginia/Prince George High).

"The 2018 recruiting class is the most talented class our staff has ever signed,” Mazey said. “I am really excited about this class, and they look to help continue a winning tradition that has taken Mountaineer Nation by storm. As we build off an NCAA Tournament appearance, the 2018 recruiting class’ talent level has reached a new height on the national stage.

“The pitchers blend power and pitchability that will allow many of them to compete for innings at a very early stage in their careers. The position players possess athleticism and competitiveness that is a trademark of our program. The 2018 class is one which the entire state should be extremely proud of. We have brought in 15 players from 10 different states that all have one common mission, to take Mountaineer baseball to levels it has never seen.”

The 15-member class includes eight pitchers, five position players and two two-way players.

Ryan Bergert – RHP, Canton, Ohio (GlenOak High)

Ryan Bergert comes to West Virginia from Canton, Ohio, where he is a right-handed pitcher at GlenOak High for coach Ray Frisbee. He was an all-district second team honoree in 2017 as a junior and an all-district honorable mention in 2016. Bergert is ranked No. 13 among right-handed pitchers and No. 30 overall in Ohio by Perfect Game.

Bergert is undecided on his major at WVU. His parents are Todd and Kim Bergert, and he has one brother.

Mazey on Bergert: “Ryan Bergert has a unique ability to command multiple pitches. Ryan made a large physical jump in the last year that has propelled him into an elite category. With a 6-2 strong frame, Bergert attacks hitters with a high-80s fastball and a wipeout breaking ball. Ryan possesses one of the highest spin rates on his breaking ball in the country. His calm demeanor on the mound, paired with plus command, projects him as a high-end starter in the Big 12.”

Bergert on West Virginia: “When it came to going on my visit to West Virginia, it was amazing. The campus was beautiful and has a great atmosphere, and it felt like home. After being there for only a short amount of time I knew West Virginia University would be my home for my years after high school.”

Drew Britt – RHP, Downingtown, Pennsylvania (Downingtown West High)

A Downingtown, Pennsylvania, native, right-handed pitcher Drew Britt attends Downingtown West High and plays for coach David Oleszek. With an 8-1 record in 2017, he was named first team all-league and all-area and earned Second Team All-Southestern PA honors. Britt also was team MVP and won the pitching award for Downingtown West. In 2016, he was first team all-league and second team all-area. Britt is the No. 13-ranked right-handed pitcher in Pennsylvania and ranked No. 51 overall by Perfect Game.

Britt is undecided on what major he will pursue at WVU. His parents are Scott and Laura Britt, and he has one brother.

Mazey on Britt: “Drew Britt is a 6-5 right-hander with a very high level of pitchability. His command of pitches and desire to compete will allow Drew to be successful immediately as a Mountaineer. His frame and smooth arm action project for high fastball velocities with an already advanced feel to pitch. Drew is a Mountaineer at heart who we originally fell in love with at Prospect Camp. He is a great teammate and an excellent pitcher who we look forward to having on the WVU pitching staff.”

Britt on West Virginia: “I chose West Virginia because there is no other University that receives the same support from the community. The baseball program is on its way up and I look forward to being a part of its very bright future. West Virginia is a University with a small-town atmosphere and I feel like I am a perfect fit.”

Alec Burns – 1B/OF, Amherst, New Hampshire (Souhegan High)

Alec Burns hails from Amherst, New Hampshire. He plays first base and outfield at Souhegan High for coach Bill Dod, where he won a state championship in 2016 and will be a team captain in 2018. Last season, Burns broke the team single-season home run record, was named an all-state honoree and the Perfect Game New Hampshire Player of the Year. He is ranked No. 2 among first basemen and No. 8 overall in the state by Perfect Game.

Burns hopes to major in business at West Virginia. His father is Shaun Burns and mother is Lauren Riccio, and he has two brothers and one sister. His father played lacrosse at SMU, while his step-father, Tony Riccio, played baseball at New Hampshire.

Mazey on Burns: “Alec Burns is an extremely physical first basemen/corner outfielder with a unique ability to consistently square the baseball. Alec controls a large frame and projects to hit for average and power as a Mountaineer. He has smooth hands and soft feet, which allows him to play multiple positions at a very high level. We view Alec as a polished hitter who has worked extremely hard to become a physical force in the Big 12. He has had an unbelievable amount of success at the high school level and continues to develop. We anticipate for Alec to make an impact quickly for the Mountaineers.”

Burns on West Virginia: “I chose to come to West Virginia because I wanted to play the best competition I could and I thought this was the place to do it. I felt really connected to the coaches after my visit. Also, how well the players are taken care of on and off the field shows what kind of family they have, which really is something I care about. Overall everything I looked for in a college was checked off and that’s why I chose West Virginia.”

Lawrence Butler – INF/OF, Atlanta, Georgia (Westlake High)

An Atlanta native, Lawrence Butler is an infielder/outfielder at Westlake High for coach Kelcey White. Butler is the No. 1-ranked first basemen in the state of Georgia and No. 6 nationally by Perfect Game, while he is ranked the No. 28 overall player in the state. He was named a Perfect Game Underclass Third Team All-American in 2017.

Butler looks to pursue a degree in marketing at WVU. His parents are Larry and Lisa Butler, and he has one brother. His father played basketball overseas, while his brother played baseball at Lawson State Community College.

Mazey on Butler: “Lawrence Butler is a large, strong player with unique athleticism for his frame. He is a versatile player whose athleticism will allow him to player corner infield as well as corner outfield. Lawrence has a classic "sweet" left-handed swing that projects to hit for average as well as power in the Big 12. He has continued to develop as a player and has made himself into a premier player in the 2018 class.”

Butler on West Virginia: “West Virginia is a great school. I loved the way they have turned the baseball program around. The coaching staff treats you like a family and it is a beautiful place to play baseball and get a great education.”

Austin Davis – INF, Orlando, Florida (Conrad Academy)

Austin Davis is an infielder from Orlando, Florida, where he plays for Conrad Academy and coach Persio Rodriguez. He is a two-time all-metro honoree and has been named to the Preseason Under Armour All-America team in 2018. Davis has also earned all-metro, defensive player of the year and MVP honors as a football player.

Davis hopes to study nutrition at West Virginia and wants to be an attorney following the conclusion of his playing career. His parents are Dominique and Temeka Davis, and he has one brother.

Mazey on Davis: “Austin Davis is a superb athlete from Orlando with an amazingly athletic family background. Davis is a burner with 60-yard dash times between 6.4 and 6.5. We see Austin as a player who can come into our system and compete for a job at multiple positions in the middle infield and outfield as well. His first-step quickness and ability to range side-to-side separates him from many athletes in the 2018 class. Austin is a worker, competitor, great student and most importantly a Mountaineer at heart. We look forward to having Austin on campus and watching him quickly compete for a starting job.”

Davis on West Virginia: “I chose West Virginia because I have the same common mission. The WVU program is built upon excellence and hard work. My dad has preached to me over and over to never quit, always finish what I start and strive to be the best. I feel like the coaches at WVU live by these common principles and desire to see the best for their student athletes.”

Phillip Dull – INF/OF/RHP, Alum Bank, Pennsylvania (Chestnut Ridge High)

An Alum Bank, Pennsylvania, native, Phillip Dull is a right-handed pitcher, middle infielder and outfielder at Chestnut Ridge High for coach Joe Perez. A team captain, he has helped Chestnut Ridge win a district championship. Dull is the third-ranked shortstop and No. 9 overall in the state of Pennsylvania, according to Perfect Game. He is also a captain on the football team and has won a district title and reached the state championship in track and field.

Dull is undecided on his major at WVU. His parents are Shawn and Deanna Dull, and he has two sisters and one brother.

Mazey on Dull: “Phillip Dull is an extremely athletic and versatile athlete who brings a unique skillset to the Mountaineers. Phillip is a four-five sport athlete at Chestnut Ridge High, and has excelled athletically every step of the way. He is a legitimate two-way player that can play multiple position on the field as well as pitch at a high level. Phillip throws in the low- to mid-90s with a plus breaking ball. His athleticism and speed will allow him to play middle infield as well as the outfield. We look for Phillip to make an impact with the Mountaineers immediately.”

Dull on West Virginia: “I chose to commit to WVU because it felt like I fit in with the staff and future teammates. The coaches really showed interest in me and I could tell they truly cared about me. I was searching for a team that I could call my family and be comfortable around, and I knew that West Virginia University baseball was the right choice for me.”

Brock Helverson – RHP, Schwenksville, Pennsylvania (Perkiomen Valley High)

Brock Helverson is a right-handed pitcher from Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, and plays at Perkiomen Valley High for coach Ryan Hinkle. He is a two-time First Team All-Pac 10 honoree and Perkiomen Valley Pitcher of the Year, while he was named to the all-area first team as a junior and all-area honorable mention as a sophomore. He is ranked No. 1 among right-handed pitchers and No. 3 overall in Pennsylvania, while he is rated the No. 42 right-hander in the nation by Perfect Game.

Helverson is undecided on what he will study at West Virginia. His parents are Scott and Cindy Helverson, and he has one sister. His father played football at Fordham, while his mother played lacrosse at Millersville.

Mazey on Helverson: “Brock Helverson is as talented as anybody in the 2018 class. He is a lean and projectable right-hander who has ran his fastball up to 95 mph. Brock throws from a lower slot, which creates run and sink on his power fastball. He has the ability to be a front-end starting pitcher in the Big 12. His work ethic and desire to be great will propel Brock into a premier talent in our league. We look for Brock to make an immediate impact with the Mountaineers.”

Helverson on West Virginia: “I chose to come to West Virginia because it felt like home. The atmosphere of the campus and the whole town of Morgantown is electric. Everyone loves to be a Mountaineer and I can’t wait to join the Mountaineer Family.”

Madison Jeffrey – RHP, Barboursville, West Virginia (Cabell Midland High)

From Barboursville, West Virginia, Madison Jeffrey is a right-handed pitcher at Cabell Midland High and plays for coach Tracy Brumfield. He has earned first team all-conference accolades and is a two-time special honorable mention team honoree. Jeffrey, who originally was a first baseman, is ranked the No. 1 player overall in West Virginia by Perfect Game.

Jeffrey is undecided on his major. His parents are Wylie and Christie Jeffrey, and he has two brothers. One brother, Adam, played baseball at West Virginia State, while the other, Zach, played basketball at Alderson Broaddus.

Mazey on Jeffrey: “Madison Jeffrey is a home-grown talent from Barboursville, West Virginia, who attends Cabell Midland High School. Madison has primarily focused his time as a position player throughout his high school career, but has recently burst onto the national scene as a pitcher with a low- to mid-90s fastball and a plus breaking ball. He is a true testament to hard work and development over the course of his career. Our entire coaching staff is thrilled to have an extremely talented and hard-working West Virginian in our 2018 signing class. Madison has the ability and mentality to be a high-end player for the Mountaineers. We expect him to make an immediate impact on the mound for WVU.”

Jeffrey on West Virginia: “Coming to West Virginia University was a dream come true to me. As I toured the baseball facilities of West Virginia in my home state, I knew right then that this was the place for me. This led to me choosing West Virginia, because they are out to win a championship as a team and individually bettering themselves.”

Gabe Kurtzhals – RHP, Fort Worth, Texas (Boswell High)

Gabe Kurtzhals comes to WVU from Fort Worth, Texas, where he is a right-handed pitcher at Boswell High for coach Steve Foster. He is a three-time all-district honoree and was named to the academic all-district team as a junior. Kurtzhals also played quarterback on his school’s football team for two years and was on the basketball team for one season.

Kurtzhals is undecided on what major to pursue at West Virginia. His parents are John and Jennifer Kurtzhals, and he has one brother. His father played basketball at Howard Payne and Central Methodist, while his mother played tennis at Howard Payne.

Mazey on Kurtzhals: “Gabe Kurtzhals is a very athletic pitcher who pairs a high-80s, low-90s fastball with a plus breaking ball. Gabe's athleticism and feel to pitch allows him to throw any pitch in any count. He is a player we watched many times who consistently got better and had tremendous results. His ability to spin the breaking ball is unique and will be the difference-maker. Gabe is a great player, student, and teammate, and we look forward to having him join the Mountaineer pitching staff.”

Kurtzhals on West Virginia: “I fell in love with WVU as soon as I stepped on campus. Everyone treats you like family and it feels like HOME. I’ve always wanted to play in the Big 12 Conference, and West Virginia gave me that opportunity.”

Jeremy Lapp-Barger – RHP, Sykesville, Maryland (Century High)

A right-handed pitcher from Sykesville, Maryland, Jeremy Lapp-Barger plays at Century High for coach Michael Marrale. He is a two-time first team all-county, second team all-state and team MVP, while he helped his team win a pair of county championships. A preseason all-state nominee in 2017 and 2018, Lapp-Barger is ranked No. 6 among right-handers and No. 13 overall in the state of Maryland by Perfect Game.

Lapp-Barger looks to pursue a degree in criminology at WVU and aspires to work in federal law enforcement when his playing career ends. His mother is Jamie Barger, while his grandfather is Greg Barger.

Mazey on Lapp-Barger: “Jeremy Lapp-Barger is a 6-0 right-hander from Sykeville, Maryland, with plus body control and athleticism. Jeremy has made a significant jump in velocity and command over the last 18 months and competed against the best competition in the country. He displays a high-80s fastball paired with a short, tight slider that he commands extremely well. Jeremy is a position player who pitches and that's why we fell in love with him. With plus feel and pitchability, Jeremy will be a force on the mound as he continues to develop physically. His competitiveness and attack mentality will allow for him to be extremely successful in the Big 12.”

Lapp-Barger on West Virginia: “I chose to come to West Virginia because I thought it was the best place for me. After playing a tournament at WVU with U.S. Elite, we got to listen to the coaches talk after our game. They hadn't given me an offer yet so I didn't think anything of it, but I knew that I wanted to go to this University. A couple days later, they called me and offered me a scholarship to play at WVU and I knew I wanted to go there. The coaching staff is phenomenal. The programs they have set up for the players are outstanding. I like the boys I will be competing with, and the overall message and feeling I got after seeing WVU really helped make my decision easy.”

Theo McDowell – RHP/UTL, Essex Junction, Vermont (Salisbury School)

Theo McDowell is a right-handed pitcher and utility player from Essex Junction, Vermont, and plays at Salisbury School for coach Kevin Huber. A two-time WNEPBL All-Star, McDowell was named to the PBR New England Class of 2018 Top 15 Players and was an athlete of the year finalist as a freshman. He also plays hockey, where he is a two-time league champion and a state finalist in 2015. McDowell is the top-ranked player in the state of Vermont by Perfect Game.

McDowell is undecided on what he will major in at WVU. His parents are Mark and Kimberley McDowell, and he has one brother and one sister. His uncles, Jon and Jeff, played soccer at Yale, while his grandfather played soccer at West Point. Additionally, his great grandfather was a member of the New York Giants baseball team.

Mazey on McDowell: “Theo McDowell is a 6-5 righty from Essex Junction, Vermont, with an incredibly high ceiling. He has a prototypical pitcher frame with a fastball ranging in the high 80s to low 90s. Theo throws from a lower arm slot, which creates run and sink on his plus fastball. Theo also displays a devastating frisbee-like slider that is very difficult for hitters. He is a multi-sport athlete who has played and succeeded at the highest levels in hockey and baseball. Theo's athleticism, arm strength and competitiveness will allow him to make an immediate impact.”

McDowell on West Virginia: “I decided to attend West Virginia University because it was an organization and an institution that excited me. WVU was one of the first schools I toured, and I ended up coming back to tour for a second time. The coaching staff made me feel at home, and I had a chance to meet some of the players who welcomed me to the family with open arms.”

Zach Ottinger – RHP, Marietta, Georgia (Lassiter High)

A Marietta, Georgia, native, Zach Ottinger is a right-handed pitcher at Lassiter High for coach Matt Hightower. He was a Perfect Game All-Tournament Team selection and a 2017 Perfect Game Preseason Underclass All-America Honorable Mention honoree. Ottinger is ranked No. 46 in Georgia among right-handers by Perfect Game.

Ottinger is undecided on his major at WVU. His parents are Chris and Melinda Ottinger, and he has one sister.

Mazey on Ottinger: “Zach Ottinger is a high-level right-hander who has continued to have success throughout his career. Zach has a high-80s fastball and put-away breaking ball. He is from Marietta, Georgia, and has grown up in the hub of amateur baseball. Zach has repeatedly performed at the highest levels against the best competition. He has a projectable frame and possesses an incredible feel to pitch. We look for Zach to compete in our conference immediately.”

Ottinger on West Virginia: “When I first visited West Virginia, I already knew from seeing pictures that it was going to be beautiful, but I was still blown away. The baseball field and athletic facilities are amazing. On top of all of that, Coach Sabins and Coach Mazey have treated me like family from the start and that is why I chose West Virginia.”

Daniel Ouderkirk – RHP, Penn Laird, Virginia (Spotswood High)

Daniel Ouderkirk comes to West Virginia from Penn Laird, Virginia, where he is a right-handed pitcher at Spotswood High. He was a Perfect Game Underclass Third Team All-American in 2017. Ouderkirk is ranked No. 3 among right-handers and No. 5 overall in Virginia by Perfect Game.

Ouderkirk hopes to major in engineering at West Virginia and aspires to be an aerospace engineer when his baseball career ends. His parents are Michael and Yelena Ottinger and he has one sister. His mother, Yelana, played basketball at Western New Mexico.

Mazey on Ouderkirk: “Daniel Ouderkirk is a 6-9 right-hander who has made himself into one of the best prospects in the 2018 class. He is an extremely projectable pitcher who already pitches in the low 90s. Daniel's frame allows for extreme tilt on the ball, which is very challenging on opposing offenses. He has had to work incredibly hard to sync a massive frame to execute a precise athletic movement. His calm yet competitive demeanor on the mound will allow for Daniel to have success at the highest level in the Big 12. Not only is Daniel an outstanding player, he is also a very gifted student. We look for Daniel to make an immediate impact for the Mountaineers.”

Ouderkirk on West Virginia: “I decided to come to West Virginia because I really liked the coaching staff and I felt like they really believed in each of their players. The game day atmosphere is incredible at the games I was able to watch. I knew after my visit that West Virginia was where I wanted to go to school to play baseball.”

JJ Sousa – INF/OF, Palm Coast, Florida (Matanzas High)

A native of Palm Coast, Florida, JJ Sousa is an infielder and outfielder at Matanzas High for coach Jim Perry. A left-handed hitter, Sousa is a first team all-conference honoree. He is ranked No. 39 among outfielders in Florida by Perfect Game.

Sousa would like to major in sport management at WVU and hopes to be an athletic director when his playing career concludes. His parents are Jeff and Karen Sousa, and he has one brother. His father was a left-handed pitcher at Florida Tech and was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies.

Mazey on Sousa: “JJ Sousa is a utility position player with the ability to play corner infield and corner outfield. He has also been a successful pitcher in high school. JJ has a beautiful left-handed swing that constantly produces results on the largest stage. JJ is the definition of a ballplayer and teammate. He loves playing the game and pairs natural hit talent with a fantastic work ethic. As JJ continues to develop physically, he will be a high-level hitter and player in the Big 12. We believe JJ has the makeup and desire to make an immediate impact as a Mountaineer.”

Sousa on West Virginia: “I love the campus, coaches and atmosphere of the school. I think it is the place I best could fit in, help out and enjoy my college experience.”

Tevin Tucker – INF, Petersburg, Virginia (Prince George High)

An infielder from Petersburg, Virginia, Tevin Tucker plays at Prince George High for coach Mickey Roberts. He is a two-time first team all-conference, first team all-region, second team all-state and all-academic team honoree and helped his team reach the state semifinals for the first time in team history. Tucker is also a second team all-conference basketball player. He is ranked No. 7 overall and No. 2 among shortstops in Virginia by Perfect Game.

Tucker hopes to major in sports marketing at West Virginia. His parents are Eric Sr. and Romona Tucker, and he has one brother. His brother, Eric Jr., played baseball at Patrick Henry Community College.

Mazey on Tucker: “Tevin Tucker is a phenomenal athlete with the ability to play shortstop at the highest levels. Tevin is an instinctual player with incredible feel for the game. He is a sparkplug who can hit, defend, throw and steal bases. The WVU staff fell in love with Tevin after watching the energy he brings everyday on the field. He is a player who can make an immediate impact on the field, and his aggressiveness matches the tempo the Mountaineers play with.”

Tucker on West Virginia: “The people there and the atmosphere made me feel right at home away from home. The coaching staff all want the best for you and your family while you're at WVU. Also, the fans in Morgantown love their Mountaineers, and I love that!”

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow WVU Baseball on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Reactions: YourGranddadsSon
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (November 15, 2017) – West Virginia University baseball coach Randy Mazey has announced that the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history has committed to WVU for the 2019 season.

The signing class of 15 student-athletes is ranked No. 28 in the nation by Perfect Game, the best in WVU history and the first in the top 30. This year’s class eclipses the 2016 class, ranked No. 41 on signing day in 2015.

The class features Ryan Bergert (Canton, Ohio/GlenOak High), Drew Britt (Downingtown, Pennsylvania/Downingtown West High), Alec Burns (Amherst, New Hampshire/Souhegan High), Lawrence Butler (Atlanta, Georgia/Westlake High), Austin Davis (Orlando, Florida/Conrad Academy), Phillip Dull (Alum Bank, Pennsylvania/Chestnut Ridge High), Brock Helverson (Schwenksville, Pennsylvania/Perkiomen Valley High), Madison Jeffrey (Barboursville, West Virginia/Cabell Midland High), Gabe Kurtzhals (Fort Worth, Texas/Boswell High), Jeremy Lapp-Barger (Sykesville, Maryland/Century High), Theo McDowell (Essex Junction, Vermont/Salisbury School), Zach Ottinger (Marietta, Georgia/Lassiter High), Daniel Ouderkirk (Penn Laird, Virginia/Spotswood High), JJ Sousa (Palm Coast, Florida/Matanzas High) and Tevin Tucker (Petersburg, Virginia/Prince George High).

"The 2018 recruiting class is the most talented class our staff has ever signed,” Mazey said. “I am really excited about this class, and they look to help continue a winning tradition that has taken Mountaineer Nation by storm. As we build off an NCAA Tournament appearance, the 2018 recruiting class’ talent level has reached a new height on the national stage.

“The pitchers blend power and pitchability that will allow many of them to compete for innings at a very early stage in their careers. The position players possess athleticism and competitiveness that is a trademark of our program. The 2018 class is one which the entire state should be extremely proud of. We have brought in 15 players from 10 different states that all have one common mission, to take Mountaineer baseball to levels it has never seen.”

The 15-member class includes eight pitchers, five position players and two two-way players.

Ryan Bergert – RHP, Canton, Ohio (GlenOak High)

Ryan Bergert comes to West Virginia from Canton, Ohio, where he is a right-handed pitcher at GlenOak High for coach Ray Frisbee. He was an all-district second team honoree in 2017 as a junior and an all-district honorable mention in 2016. Bergert is ranked No. 13 among right-handed pitchers and No. 30 overall in Ohio by Perfect Game.

Bergert is undecided on his major at WVU. His parents are Todd and Kim Bergert, and he has one brother.

Mazey on Bergert: “Ryan Bergert has a unique ability to command multiple pitches. Ryan made a large physical jump in the last year that has propelled him into an elite category. With a 6-2 strong frame, Bergert attacks hitters with a high-80s fastball and a wipeout breaking ball. Ryan possesses one of the highest spin rates on his breaking ball in the country. His calm demeanor on the mound, paired with plus command, projects him as a high-end starter in the Big 12.”

Bergert on West Virginia: “When it came to going on my visit to West Virginia, it was amazing. The campus was beautiful and has a great atmosphere, and it felt like home. After being there for only a short amount of time I knew West Virginia University would be my home for my years after high school.”

Drew Britt – RHP, Downingtown, Pennsylvania (Downingtown West High)

A Downingtown, Pennsylvania, native, right-handed pitcher Drew Britt attends Downingtown West High and plays for coach David Oleszek. With an 8-1 record in 2017, he was named first team all-league and all-area and earned Second Team All-Southestern PA honors. Britt also was team MVP and won the pitching award for Downingtown West. In 2016, he was first team all-league and second team all-area. Britt is the No. 13-ranked right-handed pitcher in Pennsylvania and ranked No. 51 overall by Perfect Game.

Britt is undecided on what major he will pursue at WVU. His parents are Scott and Laura Britt, and he has one brother.

Mazey on Britt: “Drew Britt is a 6-5 right-hander with a very high level of pitchability. His command of pitches and desire to compete will allow Drew to be successful immediately as a Mountaineer. His frame and smooth arm action project for high fastball velocities with an already advanced feel to pitch. Drew is a Mountaineer at heart who we originally fell in love with at Prospect Camp. He is a great teammate and an excellent pitcher who we look forward to having on the WVU pitching staff.”

Britt on West Virginia: “I chose West Virginia because there is no other University that receives the same support from the community. The baseball program is on its way up and I look forward to being a part of its very bright future. West Virginia is a University with a small-town atmosphere and I feel like I am a perfect fit.”

Alec Burns – 1B/OF, Amherst, New Hampshire (Souhegan High)

Alec Burns hails from Amherst, New Hampshire. He plays first base and outfield at Souhegan High for coach Bill Dod, where he won a state championship in 2016 and will be a team captain in 2018. Last season, Burns broke the team single-season home run record, was named an all-state honoree and the Perfect Game New Hampshire Player of the Year. He is ranked No. 2 among first basemen and No. 8 overall in the state by Perfect Game.

Burns hopes to major in business at West Virginia. His father is Shaun Burns and mother is Lauren Riccio, and he has two brothers and one sister. His father played lacrosse at SMU, while his step-father, Tony Riccio, played baseball at New Hampshire.

Mazey on Burns: “Alec Burns is an extremely physical first basemen/corner outfielder with a unique ability to consistently square the baseball. Alec controls a large frame and projects to hit for average and power as a Mountaineer. He has smooth hands and soft feet, which allows him to play multiple positions at a very high level. We view Alec as a polished hitter who has worked extremely hard to become a physical force in the Big 12. He has had an unbelievable amount of success at the high school level and continues to develop. We anticipate for Alec to make an impact quickly for the Mountaineers.”

Burns on West Virginia: “I chose to come to West Virginia because I wanted to play the best competition I could and I thought this was the place to do it. I felt really connected to the coaches after my visit. Also, how well the players are taken care of on and off the field shows what kind of family they have, which really is something I care about. Overall everything I looked for in a college was checked off and that’s why I chose West Virginia.”

Lawrence Butler – INF/OF, Atlanta, Georgia (Westlake High)

An Atlanta native, Lawrence Butler is an infielder/outfielder at Westlake High for coach Kelcey White. Butler is the No. 1-ranked first basemen in the state of Georgia and No. 6 nationally by Perfect Game, while he is ranked the No. 28 overall player in the state. He was named a Perfect Game Underclass Third Team All-American in 2017.

Butler looks to pursue a degree in marketing at WVU. His parents are Larry and Lisa Butler, and he has one brother. His father played basketball overseas, while his brother played baseball at Lawson State Community College.

Mazey on Butler: “Lawrence Butler is a large, strong player with unique athleticism for his frame. He is a versatile player whose athleticism will allow him to player corner infield as well as corner outfield. Lawrence has a classic "sweet" left-handed swing that projects to hit for average as well as power in the Big 12. He has continued to develop as a player and has made himself into a premier player in the 2018 class.”

Butler on West Virginia: “West Virginia is a great school. I loved the way they have turned the baseball program around. The coaching staff treats you like a family and it is a beautiful place to play baseball and get a great education.”

Austin Davis – INF, Orlando, Florida (Conrad Academy)

Austin Davis is an infielder from Orlando, Florida, where he plays for Conrad Academy and coach Persio Rodriguez. He is a two-time all-metro honoree and has been named to the Preseason Under Armour All-America team in 2018. Davis has also earned all-metro, defensive player of the year and MVP honors as a football player.

Davis hopes to study nutrition at West Virginia and wants to be an attorney following the conclusion of his playing career. His parents are Dominique and Temeka Davis, and he has one brother.

Mazey on Davis: “Austin Davis is a superb athlete from Orlando with an amazingly athletic family background. Davis is a burner with 60-yard dash times between 6.4 and 6.5. We see Austin as a player who can come into our system and compete for a job at multiple positions in the middle infield and outfield as well. His first-step quickness and ability to range side-to-side separates him from many athletes in the 2018 class. Austin is a worker, competitor, great student and most importantly a Mountaineer at heart. We look forward to having Austin on campus and watching him quickly compete for a starting job.”

Davis on West Virginia: “I chose West Virginia because I have the same common mission. The WVU program is built upon excellence and hard work. My dad has preached to me over and over to never quit, always finish what I start and strive to be the best. I feel like the coaches at WVU live by these common principles and desire to see the best for their student athletes.”

Phillip Dull – INF/OF/RHP, Alum Bank, Pennsylvania (Chestnut Ridge High)

An Alum Bank, Pennsylvania, native, Phillip Dull is a right-handed pitcher, middle infielder and outfielder at Chestnut Ridge High for coach Joe Perez. A team captain, he has helped Chestnut Ridge win a district championship. Dull is the third-ranked shortstop and No. 9 overall in the state of Pennsylvania, according to Perfect Game. He is also a captain on the football team and has won a district title and reached the state championship in track and field.

Dull is undecided on his major at WVU. His parents are Shawn and Deanna Dull, and he has two sisters and one brother.

Mazey on Dull: “Phillip Dull is an extremely athletic and versatile athlete who brings a unique skillset to the Mountaineers. Phillip is a four-five sport athlete at Chestnut Ridge High, and has excelled athletically every step of the way. He is a legitimate two-way player that can play multiple position on the field as well as pitch at a high level. Phillip throws in the low- to mid-90s with a plus breaking ball. His athleticism and speed will allow him to play middle infield as well as the outfield. We look for Phillip to make an impact with the Mountaineers immediately.”

Dull on West Virginia: “I chose to commit to WVU because it felt like I fit in with the staff and future teammates. The coaches really showed interest in me and I could tell they truly cared about me. I was searching for a team that I could call my family and be comfortable around, and I knew that West Virginia University baseball was the right choice for me.”

Brock Helverson – RHP, Schwenksville, Pennsylvania (Perkiomen Valley High)

Brock Helverson is a right-handed pitcher from Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, and plays at Perkiomen Valley High for coach Ryan Hinkle. He is a two-time First Team All-Pac 10 honoree and Perkiomen Valley Pitcher of the Year, while he was named to the all-area first team as a junior and all-area honorable mention as a sophomore. He is ranked No. 1 among right-handed pitchers and No. 3 overall in Pennsylvania, while he is rated the No. 42 right-hander in the nation by Perfect Game.

Helverson is undecided on what he will study at West Virginia. His parents are Scott and Cindy Helverson, and he has one sister. His father played football at Fordham, while his mother played lacrosse at Millersville.

Mazey on Helverson: “Brock Helverson is as talented as anybody in the 2018 class. He is a lean and projectable right-hander who has ran his fastball up to 95 mph. Brock throws from a lower slot, which creates run and sink on his power fastball. He has the ability to be a front-end starting pitcher in the Big 12. His work ethic and desire to be great will propel Brock into a premier talent in our league. We look for Brock to make an immediate impact with the Mountaineers.”

Helverson on West Virginia: “I chose to come to West Virginia because it felt like home. The atmosphere of the campus and the whole town of Morgantown is electric. Everyone loves to be a Mountaineer and I can’t wait to join the Mountaineer Family.”

Madison Jeffrey – RHP, Barboursville, West Virginia (Cabell Midland High)

From Barboursville, West Virginia, Madison Jeffrey is a right-handed pitcher at Cabell Midland High and plays for coach Tracy Brumfield. He has earned first team all-conference accolades and is a two-time special honorable mention team honoree. Jeffrey, who originally was a first baseman, is ranked the No. 1 player overall in West Virginia by Perfect Game.

Jeffrey is undecided on his major. His parents are Wylie and Christie Jeffrey, and he has two brothers. One brother, Adam, played baseball at West Virginia State, while the other, Zach, played basketball at Alderson Broaddus.

Mazey on Jeffrey: “Madison Jeffrey is a home-grown talent from Barboursville, West Virginia, who attends Cabell Midland High School. Madison has primarily focused his time as a position player throughout his high school career, but has recently burst onto the national scene as a pitcher with a low- to mid-90s fastball and a plus breaking ball. He is a true testament to hard work and development over the course of his career. Our entire coaching staff is thrilled to have an extremely talented and hard-working West Virginian in our 2018 signing class. Madison has the ability and mentality to be a high-end player for the Mountaineers. We expect him to make an immediate impact on the mound for WVU.”

Jeffrey on West Virginia: “Coming to West Virginia University was a dream come true to me. As I toured the baseball facilities of West Virginia in my home state, I knew right then that this was the place for me. This led to me choosing West Virginia, because they are out to win a championship as a team and individually bettering themselves.”

Gabe Kurtzhals – RHP, Fort Worth, Texas (Boswell High)

Gabe Kurtzhals comes to WVU from Fort Worth, Texas, where he is a right-handed pitcher at Boswell High for coach Steve Foster. He is a three-time all-district honoree and was named to the academic all-district team as a junior. Kurtzhals also played quarterback on his school’s football team for two years and was on the basketball team for one season.

Kurtzhals is undecided on what major to pursue at West Virginia. His parents are John and Jennifer Kurtzhals, and he has one brother. His father played basketball at Howard Payne and Central Methodist, while his mother played tennis at Howard Payne.

Mazey on Kurtzhals: “Gabe Kurtzhals is a very athletic pitcher who pairs a high-80s, low-90s fastball with a plus breaking ball. Gabe's athleticism and feel to pitch allows him to throw any pitch in any count. He is a player we watched many times who consistently got better and had tremendous results. His ability to spin the breaking ball is unique and will be the difference-maker. Gabe is a great player, student, and teammate, and we look forward to having him join the Mountaineer pitching staff.”

Kurtzhals on West Virginia: “I fell in love with WVU as soon as I stepped on campus. Everyone treats you like family and it feels like HOME. I’ve always wanted to play in the Big 12 Conference, and West Virginia gave me that opportunity.”

Jeremy Lapp-Barger – RHP, Sykesville, Maryland (Century High)

A right-handed pitcher from Sykesville, Maryland, Jeremy Lapp-Barger plays at Century High for coach Michael Marrale. He is a two-time first team all-county, second team all-state and team MVP, while he helped his team win a pair of county championships. A preseason all-state nominee in 2017 and 2018, Lapp-Barger is ranked No. 6 among right-handers and No. 13 overall in the state of Maryland by Perfect Game.

Lapp-Barger looks to pursue a degree in criminology at WVU and aspires to work in federal law enforcement when his playing career ends. His mother is Jamie Barger, while his grandfather is Greg Barger.

Mazey on Lapp-Barger: “Jeremy Lapp-Barger is a 6-0 right-hander from Sykeville, Maryland, with plus body control and athleticism. Jeremy has made a significant jump in velocity and command over the last 18 months and competed against the best competition in the country. He displays a high-80s fastball paired with a short, tight slider that he commands extremely well. Jeremy is a position player who pitches and that's why we fell in love with him. With plus feel and pitchability, Jeremy will be a force on the mound as he continues to develop physically. His competitiveness and attack mentality will allow for him to be extremely successful in the Big 12.”

Lapp-Barger on West Virginia: “I chose to come to West Virginia because I thought it was the best place for me. After playing a tournament at WVU with U.S. Elite, we got to listen to the coaches talk after our game. They hadn't given me an offer yet so I didn't think anything of it, but I knew that I wanted to go to this University. A couple days later, they called me and offered me a scholarship to play at WVU and I knew I wanted to go there. The coaching staff is phenomenal. The programs they have set up for the players are outstanding. I like the boys I will be competing with, and the overall message and feeling I got after seeing WVU really helped make my decision easy.”

Theo McDowell – RHP/UTL, Essex Junction, Vermont (Salisbury School)

Theo McDowell is a right-handed pitcher and utility player from Essex Junction, Vermont, and plays at Salisbury School for coach Kevin Huber. A two-time WNEPBL All-Star, McDowell was named to the PBR New England Class of 2018 Top 15 Players and was an athlete of the year finalist as a freshman. He also plays hockey, where he is a two-time league champion and a state finalist in 2015. McDowell is the top-ranked player in the state of Vermont by Perfect Game.

McDowell is undecided on what he will major in at WVU. His parents are Mark and Kimberley McDowell, and he has one brother and one sister. His uncles, Jon and Jeff, played soccer at Yale, while his grandfather played soccer at West Point. Additionally, his great grandfather was a member of the New York Giants baseball team.

Mazey on McDowell: “Theo McDowell is a 6-5 righty from Essex Junction, Vermont, with an incredibly high ceiling. He has a prototypical pitcher frame with a fastball ranging in the high 80s to low 90s. Theo throws from a lower arm slot, which creates run and sink on his plus fastball. Theo also displays a devastating frisbee-like slider that is very difficult for hitters. He is a multi-sport athlete who has played and succeeded at the highest levels in hockey and baseball. Theo's athleticism, arm strength and competitiveness will allow him to make an immediate impact.”

McDowell on West Virginia: “I decided to attend West Virginia University because it was an organization and an institution that excited me. WVU was one of the first schools I toured, and I ended up coming back to tour for a second time. The coaching staff made me feel at home, and I had a chance to meet some of the players who welcomed me to the family with open arms.”

Zach Ottinger – RHP, Marietta, Georgia (Lassiter High)

A Marietta, Georgia, native, Zach Ottinger is a right-handed pitcher at Lassiter High for coach Matt Hightower. He was a Perfect Game All-Tournament Team selection and a 2017 Perfect Game Preseason Underclass All-America Honorable Mention honoree. Ottinger is ranked No. 46 in Georgia among right-handers by Perfect Game.

Ottinger is undecided on his major at WVU. His parents are Chris and Melinda Ottinger, and he has one sister.

Mazey on Ottinger: “Zach Ottinger is a high-level right-hander who has continued to have success throughout his career. Zach has a high-80s fastball and put-away breaking ball. He is from Marietta, Georgia, and has grown up in the hub of amateur baseball. Zach has repeatedly performed at the highest levels against the best competition. He has a projectable frame and possesses an incredible feel to pitch. We look for Zach to compete in our conference immediately.”

Ottinger on West Virginia: “When I first visited West Virginia, I already knew from seeing pictures that it was going to be beautiful, but I was still blown away. The baseball field and athletic facilities are amazing. On top of all of that, Coach Sabins and Coach Mazey have treated me like family from the start and that is why I chose West Virginia.”

Daniel Ouderkirk – RHP, Penn Laird, Virginia (Spotswood High)

Daniel Ouderkirk comes to West Virginia from Penn Laird, Virginia, where he is a right-handed pitcher at Spotswood High. He was a Perfect Game Underclass Third Team All-American in 2017. Ouderkirk is ranked No. 3 among right-handers and No. 5 overall in Virginia by Perfect Game.

Ouderkirk hopes to major in engineering at West Virginia and aspires to be an aerospace engineer when his baseball career ends. His parents are Michael and Yelena Ottinger and he has one sister. His mother, Yelana, played basketball at Western New Mexico.

Mazey on Ouderkirk: “Daniel Ouderkirk is a 6-9 right-hander who has made himself into one of the best prospects in the 2018 class. He is an extremely projectable pitcher who already pitches in the low 90s. Daniel's frame allows for extreme tilt on the ball, which is very challenging on opposing offenses. He has had to work incredibly hard to sync a massive frame to execute a precise athletic movement. His calm yet competitive demeanor on the mound will allow for Daniel to have success at the highest level in the Big 12. Not only is Daniel an outstanding player, he is also a very gifted student. We look for Daniel to make an immediate impact for the Mountaineers.”

Ouderkirk on West Virginia: “I decided to come to West Virginia because I really liked the coaching staff and I felt like they really believed in each of their players. The game day atmosphere is incredible at the games I was able to watch. I knew after my visit that West Virginia was where I wanted to go to school to play baseball.”

JJ Sousa – INF/OF, Palm Coast, Florida (Matanzas High)

A native of Palm Coast, Florida, JJ Sousa is an infielder and outfielder at Matanzas High for coach Jim Perry. A left-handed hitter, Sousa is a first team all-conference honoree. He is ranked No. 39 among outfielders in Florida by Perfect Game.

Sousa would like to major in sport management at WVU and hopes to be an athletic director when his playing career concludes. His parents are Jeff and Karen Sousa, and he has one brother. His father was a left-handed pitcher at Florida Tech and was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies.

Mazey on Sousa: “JJ Sousa is a utility position player with the ability to play corner infield and corner outfield. He has also been a successful pitcher in high school. JJ has a beautiful left-handed swing that constantly produces results on the largest stage. JJ is the definition of a ballplayer and teammate. He loves playing the game and pairs natural hit talent with a fantastic work ethic. As JJ continues to develop physically, he will be a high-level hitter and player in the Big 12. We believe JJ has the makeup and desire to make an immediate impact as a Mountaineer.”

Sousa on West Virginia: “I love the campus, coaches and atmosphere of the school. I think it is the place I best could fit in, help out and enjoy my college experience.”

Tevin Tucker – INF, Petersburg, Virginia (Prince George High)

An infielder from Petersburg, Virginia, Tevin Tucker plays at Prince George High for coach Mickey Roberts. He is a two-time first team all-conference, first team all-region, second team all-state and all-academic team honoree and helped his team reach the state semifinals for the first time in team history. Tucker is also a second team all-conference basketball player. He is ranked No. 7 overall and No. 2 among shortstops in Virginia by Perfect Game.

Tucker hopes to major in sports marketing at West Virginia. His parents are Eric Sr. and Romona Tucker, and he has one brother. His brother, Eric Jr., played baseball at Patrick Henry Community College.

Mazey on Tucker: “Tevin Tucker is a phenomenal athlete with the ability to play shortstop at the highest levels. Tevin is an instinctual player with incredible feel for the game. He is a sparkplug who can hit, defend, throw and steal bases. The WVU staff fell in love with Tevin after watching the energy he brings everyday on the field. He is a player who can make an immediate impact on the field, and his aggressiveness matches the tempo the Mountaineers play with.”

Tucker on West Virginia: “The people there and the atmosphere made me feel right at home away from home. The coaching staff all want the best for you and your family while you're at WVU. Also, the fans in Morgantown love their Mountaineers, and I love that!”

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow WVU Baseball on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Baseball is important in this conference. It is an obvious step up for WVU from their past conferences. More than maybe any sport.

Great for WVU to start putting resources in their baseball program. Softball is another one that hopefully West Virginia continues to improve in as well.

Baseball is the most difficult sport to recruit.

You have to mix a balance between players who will be drafted in the top five rounds, late round draft picks and players who will not be drafted.

Sometimes your class can completely collapse because all the elite players sign major league contracts and the ones who are not drafted do not develop.

You have to invest a lot of time in scouting and development. Best way might be what West Virgina has done is sign a bunch of underrated prospects.

If they enroll and do not sign MLB contracts you have them for three years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT