ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe reactionary on my part, but it looks broken again ...

After every big win its fixed after every disappointing loss its broken. This seems to be the mindset at times with some folks

"Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me...."....or a well known Hank Williams tune, take your pick. Saw a lot of upsets....bracket breakers....doubt anyone thinks something is broken at those places....

So the title of the thread that "It's broken" is extreme. The whole team isn't broken like that 13-19 team was, but I'll still say one side of the game is shaky at best. A lot of replies seem to be addressing arguments I did not make. Huggins is a good coach and has had a good resume at WVU. Therefore, I am in no way saying Huggins needs to be fired. That being said, this is likely the best team Huggins has fielded outside of the Final Four team. For the second best team we have had, there are some glaring flaws which have been present since that Final Four team. I know you need athletes to make a good team and we have done a great job of getting more from less, but it seems that has been done by focusing on the X's and O's of defense. We saw the improvement in that from last year to this year. I can understand the reasoning of keeping to what you know or that defense and battling for rebounding position is something that a player can consistently do where as even the best shooters cannot always be on fire. However, the half court offensive strategy seems to be find one guy to score AND create the scoring opportunities for the other players. Of course I could be wrong and just cannot see the offensive game plan or the attempts to change it over the last few seasons, but putting points on the board without turnovers/transition buckets is too often like pulling teeth even against weaker teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT