ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall on Dec. 17th

you are a simple minded trouble maker
I don't mean to make fun of your situation, but it reminds me of some dialog from Ash vs. Evil Dead last week.

Old Buddy of Ash: "I'm clean now, 9 days. Yeah, I'm really getting my life together. I even joined a militia."

Keaton, I usually like your posts but you are not making a very good argument here.

1. When WVU plays a chump team, like last Sunday, they had 6500ish in attendance. Marshall had 4000 at the EKU game. That's 10,500. Usually more than that attend capital classic. At worst, it's a wash.

2. The atmosphere at the Louis Monroe game was lame. EKU game not much better. The Civic Center will be rocking on Thursday night.

3. You say the players don't care?!? Read the Gazette article and hear how the MU guys from WV look at this as one of their most anticipated games. The WVU guys even commented that this is one of the most fun games they have all year.

4. Half the people I work with are going to this game. Most of the Marshall "fans" go to one or two games in Huntington every year but they never miss this game in Charleston. Most of our WVU fans will attend one or at most two bball games in Morgantown. It's nice to leave for a game, drive 15 minutes, park for $3, walk two minutes, go to a fun alumni gathering with the band and cheerleaders, watch our Mountaineers, and be back in my own bed just 3 hours from when I left. Almost all the folks at the alumni pre-game reception are WVU friends I rarely get to see at football games and never at basketball games. This is in contrast to driving 6 hours round trip, paying $10 to park a half-mile from the Coliseum, no alumni party areas, crowded concourses, fighting traffic for 30 minutes before and after game, returning home literally 10+ hours after leaving home. We wish we lived closer to Morgantown but good lord, throw us a bone a couple of times so we can watch our team without losing a full day and a full tank of gas.

5. ESPNU actually picked up this game. Where was the national TV for they 5 of our previous Coliseum games? That's right .... those games are boring to broadcast.

6. For Marshall's benefit, this is as close as they get to having a top 25 opponent within 30-40 minutes of the bulk of their fanbase. Again, good for them and the state of WV.

I could give more reasons. But one game? It's not that big of an inconvenience, especially now that they've moved it out of January.

lol, HOW IS A WVU/MU GAME BETTER FOR THE STATE OF WV THAN A WVU/OPPONENT GAME IN MORGANTOWN AND A MU/OPPONENT GAME IN HUNTINGTON?

8,000+ buy tickets for the WVU home game, a large portion of which come from out of state and bring money into the state of WV to spend

5,000 buy tickets for the MU home game, a large portion of which come from OH and KY and bring money into the state of WV to spend

or..........10,500 keep instate money instate for the Capital Classic....

How is playing a game that Marshall rarely wins a BENEFIT for the development of their basketball program? Do kids sign up to play at Marshall BECAUSE the Capital Classic game? Nope....... The MU program would benefit greater by adding an easy W to their OOC record, not by "toughing one out under the big lights" against the flagship.

And that really isn't even opinion.......... that's cold hard facts, in terms of money generated for the state by sporting events...........

lol. 8000+ at Saturday's game

I didn't read past that. If you weren't interested in being factually accurate there then the rest is nothing more than opinion.....

Ain't nobody got time for that

Keaton, I usually like your posts but you are not making a very good argument here.

1. When WVU plays a chump team, like last Sunday, they had 6500ish in attendance. Marshall had 4000 at the EKU game. That's 10,500. Usually more than that attend capital classic. At worst, it's a wash.

2. The atmosphere at the Louis Monroe game was lame. EKU game not much better. The Civic Center will be rocking on Thursday night.

3. You say the players don't care?!? Read the Gazette article and hear how the MU guys from WV look at this as one of their most anticipated games. The WVU guys even commented that this is one of the most fun games they have all year.

4. Half the people I work with are going to this game. Most of the Marshall "fans" go to one or two games in Huntington every year but they never miss this game in Charleston. Most of our WVU fans will attend one or at most two bball games in Morgantown. It's nice to leave for a game, drive 15 minutes, park for $3, walk two minutes, go to a fun alumni gathering with the band and cheerleaders, watch our Mountaineers, and be back in my own bed just 3 hours from when I left. Almost all the folks at the alumni pre-game reception are WVU friends I rarely get to see at football games and never at basketball games. This is in contrast to driving 6 hours round trip, paying $10 to park a half-mile from the Coliseum, no alumni party areas, crowded concourses, fighting traffic for 30 minutes before and after game, returning home literally 10+ hours after leaving home. We wish we lived closer to Morgantown but good lord, throw us a bone a couple of times so we can watch our team without losing a full day and a full tank of gas.

5. ESPNU actually picked up this game. Where was the national TV for they 5 of our previous Coliseum games? That's right .... those games are boring to broadcast.

6. For Marshall's benefit, this is as close as they get to having a top 25 opponent within 30-40 minutes of the bulk of their fanbase. Again, good for them and the state of WV.

I could give more reasons. But one game? It's not that big of an inconvenience, especially now that they've moved it out of January.

Who cares what's good for Marshall? It's not our responsibility to build their program.

WVU fans live all over the world. I sure wish they played a yearly game near me but they don't and you don't see me get unreasonable about it.

I did a quick look at other P5 conference schedules over the past 6-7 years. There are very few examples of in-state, out of conference games that are played on an annual basis. Iowa vs Iowa State is one exception and those two programs always have a very high RPI and are both in P5 conferences. Other schools frequently play other in-state out of conference schools but I could not find any examples of such games that are scheduled year after year after year, let alone being played off-campus at some neutral court (which also happens to be a crappy gym). Like I said, I don't mind playing Marshall every so often. I just don't want them on the schedule as a permanent feature under the current conditions. Is WVU the only P5 school that does this? Why?

Oh look.... Another "it is good for the state" post

Without a reason why the game is good for the state

Or is it just that the Southern part of the state is in such a 'charity case' mentality that entitlement for the game has set in?

I'm from Charleston btw so save the whole "if you were from" shit....k?

Charleston folks had their "deserving" game once this year in JMU and showed 2,000 light of WVU's average attendance at the Civic Center

One thing you didn't mention. If we win, we were supposed to win. Beating Marshall does nothing for us. If we lose, we are disproportionately harmed.

I'd much rather play a home and home with Pitt or Penn State than the game with Marshall in Charleston.

I notice you make no actual effort to dispute the fact the crowd at the ULM game was around 5000.

Your degree (If you have one. I suspect you might be 19) must be in evasion.

I positively admire, though, the chutzpah it takes for you to suggest anyone else thinks they know it all.

How many other states only have 2 division I programs? In how many of those states do the only 2 teams not play each other?

The game with Marshall in no way prevents us from playing any games against other schools that are more attractive for any reason. If something had to give to put, say, Pitt, on the schedule we could simply play one less low major patsy literally no one cares about.

Does anyone honestly believe NKU, EKU, Kennesaw State, ULM,... and the teams of that ilk we play in numerous games every year would not be the kind of ganme that should be "sacrificed?"

I get that people don't like Marshall. That's not a good reason not to play them. It's a good reason to beat them and put them in their place.

How many other states only have 2 division I programs? In how many of those states do the only 2 teams not play each other?

The game with Marshall in no way prevents us from playing any games against other schools that are more attractive for any reason. If something had to give to put, say, Pitt, on the schedule we could simply play one less low major patsy literally no one cares about.

Does anyone honestly believe NKU, EKU, Kennesaw State, ULM,... and the teams of that ilk we play in numerous games every year would not be the kind of ganme that should be "sacrificed?"

I get that people don't like Marshall. That's not a good reason not to play them. It's a good reason to beat them and put them in their place.
Why does it matter if there is any other state with just two Division 1 basketball teams? Is there some sort of Numerology that is relevant? It is a function of our population that we have just two. Some low population states have just 1 Division 1 school, there are some that don't even have one. You might as well make an argument based on school colors that we only play 1 other school with green colors so that is why we need to play Marshall. It is irrelevant whether there are 1 2 or 3 or more division 1 schools. Huggins and the program should have maximum flexibility to schedule games for whatever reason. Being saddled with this game year after year in this crappy venue is not to WVU's advantage.

OK.....................the game with Marshall should be played on a home and home basis........and it should be played every year. Bragging rights go to the victor. It ain't about which team has the most to gain or lose. Please stop the battle with KC. Right now...................ole son! Will you tune in to the game tonight? I'll bet you do. I know I will. Warez

LOL - Low Information Drifter thinks he knows more about college basketball than our HOF coach.

In case you didn't know, we have a Top 20 team coming off a Sweet 16 season. Huggins seems to know how to properly schedule a season without your input and it's Marshall fans like you who will shoulder the blame when we cancel the series.

I notice you make no actual effort to dispute the fact the crowd at the ULM game was around 5000.

Your degree (If you have one. I suspect you might be 19) must be in evasion.

I positively admire, though, the chutzpah it takes for you to suggest anyone else thinks they know it all.

Keaton's already disproved your fabrications false, Low Information Drifter. Back to the Marshall board you go.

We've already beat them and put them in their place countless times, but that never seems to prevent you Marshall trolls from popping up.

We don't owe you clowns anything, not even the ass whipping you trolls beg for.

"Does anyone honestly believe NKU, EKU, Kennesaw State, ULM,... and the teams of that ilk we play in numerous games every year would not be the kind of ganme that should be "sacrificed?"

Perhaps you missed the extremely long, detailed list of reasons why these teams are of higher priority to our HC and basketball program than the Marshall game............ when I POSTED IT 3 TIMES OVER

NKU - Scheduled because:

- it gave WVU a game in front of Devin Williams' family, who can't afford to travel to watch him
- it was a favor returned to NKU by WVU for hiring not one but 2 WVU guys as assistants and giving them their first break in coaching (Darris Nichols being one)
- Huggs had family on NKU until the coaching change
- Huggs was close friends with the previous NKU coach
- former WV resident Jack Flournoy was on the roster at the time of scheduling before injuries ended his career
- it gave WVU a game in a recruiting hot-bed that is the Cincinnati metro area
- home game, not a neutral site

EKU:

- Game was scheduled before Neubauer left for the Fordham job. Game was to be a homecoming for him.
- EKU, prior to the coaching change, has averaged 21 wins a season over the last 5 years and always brings a top 150 RPI
- Home game in Morgantown, not a neutral site.

Kennesaw

- WVU, Louisville, and a host of other Major programs are helping an old coaching friend, Al Skinner, build the KSU program by providing desirable opponents to lure in recruits
- Again, home game... not neutral site game

ULM

- Good RPI
- Probable Tournament team once they win their league
- home game, not neutral site

No. The only game that should be sacrificed to improve our schedule is the neutral-site game against a 300-level RPI opponent that makes us split the door at 50/50......... whose game attendance is in decline btw (2,000 less than 5 years ago)

Marshall doesn't play ball, in terms of doing the things Huggs demands for teams to make our OOC.... They don't come to Morgantown. They don't bring a decent RPI. They don't offer coverage to recruits in high-volume areas. They don't hire our guys --- see Ronnie Everhart ----. And they don't give our players a chance to play in front of family that they otherwise would not get said chance....

In reality, Huggs wants/wanted to be a marque opponent to Charleston, like a Pitt or the UVA series......... but the BS turnout for JMU last month probably took that off the table. A Pitt series in Charleston and at Console Energy would have been cool if Dixon refused to do a home and home.

It is time to kill this foul-fest. I agree totally with Huggins.

https://westvirginia.forums.rivals....hall-should-be-enough-to-pull-the-plug.67886/

Bob+Huggins+West+Virginia+v+Kansas+GLN0xuUHffal.jpg

Even for you, claiming that because ESPN publishes our announced attendance number the same way it publishes whatever number any other school announces as proof it is accurate is amazingly stupid.

That there are a handful of people here who suck up your stupidity like sponges seems to encourage you. I suspect most people would see the fact that the people who agree with you are also unbelievably stupid as reflecting even more poorly on you.

Even for you, claiming that because ESPN publishes our announced attendance number the same way it publishes whatever number any other school announces as proof it is accurate is amazingly stupid.

That there are a handful of people here who suck up your stupidity like sponges seems to encourage you. I suspect most people would see the fact that the people who agree with you are also unbelievably stupid as reflecting even more poorly on you.

LOL - A long list of BS that you can't refute. Pretty hard to refute the opinions and facts provided directly from our Head Coach.

notice the personal attacks........

notice the lack of addressing the argument with any semblance of fact.....

"list of BS" is a coward's way of saying "Dammit.......... he got me"

I cited a WVU-affiliated website, who obtain their attendance stats directly from the AD, who obtains the attendance count directly from the ticket-scanning/swiping devices at the facility......

#beatemdownbaaaaaaaaaaad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT