ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Lyons Named to Prestigious NCAA Committee

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Lyons Named to Prestigious NCAA Committee

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (July 24, 2018) – West Virginia University Director of Athletics and Associate Vice President Shane Lyons as well as several of his athletic staff will represent WVU on several NCAA and Big 12 committees for the 2018-19 season.

Lyons has been appointed to the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee in a term that will expire in June 2022. Recently, Lyons was also named chair of that prestigious committee for the length of his term.

“It’s a great honor to serve as chairman of the Football Oversight Committee,” Lyons said. “It’s our responsibility to advance and better the game, protect the welfare and safety of the student-athlete and help the sport grow in the future. While those are great responsibilities, they are ones I take very seriously and with the highest priority.”

The central purpose of the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee is to serve as the division’s primary authority on football, subject to the review of the NCAA Division I Council, of which Lyons is also a member.

Back in March, Lyons was named to a four-year term on the NCAA Division I Council. The Division I Council is a high-level group responsible for the day-to-day decision-making for Division I. The council is comprised of practitioners who work daily in Division I athletics, and it has primary legislative authority for Division I.

Lyons will continue to serve on the Big 12’s Administrative, Finance and Budget committees. He recently finished a 12-month term as chair of the Big 12 Athletic Directors.

WVU’s athletic director also has several members of his staff serving on additional prominent NCAA committees. Deputy Athletic Director Keli Zinn was appointed chair of the NCAA Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, and will continue in that role until June 2019. Zinn also will serve on the Division I Legislative Committee.

Senior Associate Athletic Director Terri Howes has been named to a four-year term on the Division I Nominating Committee, and will work with the Big 12’s Dr. Prentice Gautt Student-Athlete Welfare Committee.

Men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins starts the first year of a four-year appointment to the Men’s Basketball Rules Committee, while football’s senior wide receiver Gary Jennings, Jr. will represent the Mountaineers on the Division I Football Oversight Committee. Jennings is just one of three student-athletes in the country serving on that committee.

Faculty Athletic Representative Dr. Maria Kolar will work on the Big 12 Administrative and Drug Testing Committees, while Associate Athletic Director April Messerly just completed a term as national president of the Collegiate Event and Facility Management Association and will spend this year on its Board of Directors, serving in the role of past president.

“I think it’s great that our staff members are representing West Virginia University on these important committees,” Lyons says. “We have a tremendous staff that can and wants to make a difference in college athletics.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT