WVU Release Lyons Announces the Return of the “Backyard Brawl”

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
Lyons Announces the Return of the “Backyard Brawl”

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (September 10, 2015) – West Virginia University Director of Athletics Shane Lyons has announced that one of the nation’s oldest and most intense rivalries, the “Backyard Brawl” between Pitt and West Virginia, will return with a scheduled four-game series that will run from 2022-25.

“I think this is a very exciting announcement for all of college football. We all know how conference realignment ended some long-standing rivalries, which have made the sport so special. Today, we are able to bring back one of the oldest rivalries in college football,” WVU Director of Athletics Shane Lyons said.

The four-game series will start in 2022 at Heinz Field, move to Milan Puskar Stadium in 2023, will be played in Pittsburgh in 2024, with the final game of the contract at Morgantown in 2025.

“Scheduling this game was a priority, and I want to thank Pitt Athletic Director Scott Barnes for his commitment to renewing this series, which I believe is great for both schools,” Lyons added. “With the two universities being in different conferences, it was hard to find dates that worked for both, but we were able to accomplish our goal and come away with a four-game series. All of college football will look forward to the return of the Backyard Brawl in 2022.”

The “Backyard Brawl” started in 1895 and was played for 104 years until it ended in 2011 after a 21-20 WVU victory in Morgantown. The two schools were Eastern independents for a majority of the series but became Big East football founding members in 1991 and continued their rivalry until 2011. West Virginia won 14 of the 21 games in Big East play, before the Mountaineers became a member of the Big 12 in 2012, and the Panthers moved to the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013.

Pitt leads the overall series, 61-40-3, but West Virginia had won 16 of the last 26 contests against the Panthers. The two teams met every season from 1943-2011, and over the final 47 years, WVU posted a 25-20-2 mark. Pitt’s 41-38 triple-overtime win in 1997 at Mountaineer Field broke a five-game Mountaineer winning streak in the series (WVU’s longest).

Final numbers when the series ended showed West Virginia on a three-game winning streak, and Pitt holding a 40-22 series lead in its home games and a 21-18-3 advantage in all games played in Morgantown.

West Virginia –Pitt series renewal

September 17, 2022 at Pittsburgh

September 16, 2023 at West Virginia

September 14, 2024 at Pittsburgh

September 13, 2025 at West Virginia

pic credit WVU.

COkFIDqXAAAIxqC.jpg:large

Reactions: tubmillpanther
I'm lukewarm on it...I still sense the hatred and venom between WVU and sPitt but their program is a dumpster fire and likely will be forever. ...besides there are only 4 or maybe 5 of them vs thousands and thousands of Mountaineers....it's not a fair fight....

I'm lukewarm on it...I still sense the hatred and venom between WVU and sPitt but their program is a dumpster fire and likely will be forever. ...besides there are only 4 or maybe 5 of them vs thousands and thousands of Mountaineers....it's not a fair fight....
This feels right to me for all sorts of reasons---recruiting, intensity of the rivalry, the fact that we get to bitch slap them relentlessly....Yeah, I'm good with it.

Reactions: CT Mountaineer
Lyons Announces the Return of the “Backyard Brawl”

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (September 10, 2015) – West Virginia University Director of Athletics Shane Lyons has announced that one of the nation’s oldest and most intense rivalries, the “Backyard Brawl” between Pitt and West Virginia, will return with a scheduled four-game series that will run from 2022-25.

“I think this is a very exciting announcement for all of college football. We all know how conference realignment ended some long-standing rivalries, which have made the sport so special. Today, we are able to bring back one of the oldest rivalries in college football,” WVU Director of Athletics Shane Lyons said.

The four-game series will start in 2022 at Heinz Field, move to Milan Puskar Stadium in 2023, will be played in Pittsburgh in 2024, with the final game of the contract at Morgantown in 2025.

“Scheduling this game was a priority, and I want to thank Pitt Athletic Director Scott Barnes for his commitment to renewing this series, which I believe is great for both schools,” Lyons added. “With the two universities being in different conferences, it was hard to find dates that worked for both, but we were able to accomplish our goal and come away with a four-game series. All of college football will look forward to the return of the Backyard Brawl in 2022.”

The “Backyard Brawl” started in 1895 and was played for 104 years until it ended in 2011 after a 21-20 WVU victory in Morgantown. The two schools were Eastern independents for a majority of the series but became Big East football founding members in 1991 and continued their rivalry until 2011. West Virginia won 14 of the 21 games in Big East play, before the Mountaineers became a member of the Big 12 in 2012, and the Panthers moved to the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013.

Pitt leads the overall series, 61-40-3, but West Virginia had won 16 of the last 26 contests against the Panthers. The two teams met every season from 1943-2011, and over the final 47 years, WVU posted a 25-20-2 mark. Pitt’s 41-38 triple-overtime win in 1997 at Mountaineer Field broke a five-game Mountaineer winning streak in the series (WVU’s longest).

Final numbers when the series ended showed West Virginia on a three-game winning streak, and Pitt holding a 40-22 series lead in its home games and a 21-18-3 advantage in all games played in Morgantown.

West Virginia –Pitt series renewal

September 17, 2022 at Pittsburgh

September 16, 2023 at West Virginia

September 14, 2024 at Pittsburgh

September 13, 2025 at West Virginia

For some reason this doesn't feel like exciting news. WVU will play 7 games against Oklahoma before we play Pitt again. WVU will play 7 games against Texas before we play Pitt again.

I'm guessing that the next time Heinz Field will get a decent crowd will be Sept. 17, 2022.

For some reason this doesn't feel like exciting news. WVU will play 7 games against Oklahoma before we play Pitt again. WVU will play 7 games against Texas before we play Pitt again.

I'm guessing that the next time Heinz Field will get a decent crowd will be Sept. 17, 2022.
Yes, but we play OU and Texas IN ADDITION TO pounding on those cream puffs up north.

Reactions: CT Mountaineer
Been there done that. Watch WVU vs Pitt in 4 different venues. Moved on.

Would rather see a series vs a school that has fans and a real college atmosphere with tailgating and a non Pittsburgh Steelers stadium rental.

Give me a series with
1a Maryland
1b VPI
Or
2 any old school SEC School (even if at a "neutral" site less than 100 miles from the SEC schools campus).

And I'd be more excited.

Only good news it's not an announcement of a series with Louisville, Cincinnati, BC, Cuse, UConn, or some darn directional state that won't bring a dozen fans to Morgantown.

I don't think I agree with you, t......clearly, fans of the two programs aren't fond of one another. But I myself don't think the (as you call it) "venom" is as bad with Pitt these days it is with fans of Virginia Tech and (frankly) Marshall. You are, of course, free to disagree with that assessment.

Anyway, I freely admit to being a supporter of the game and feel both sides benefit (though perhaps in different ways).

I don't think I agree with you, t......clearly, fans of the two programs aren't fond of one another. But I myself don't think the (as you call it) "venom" is as bad with Pitt these days it is with fans of Virginia Tech and (frankly) Marshall. You are, of course, free to disagree with that assessment.

Anyway, I freely admit to being a supporter of the game and feel both sides benefit (though perhaps in different ways).
Ah no issue with your taking me to task on this one...I quite enjoy this board when we can disagree in a civilized manner...
I do agree that VT has likely earned a special brand of hate (not even sure thats the right word, maybe disrespect), as a 'local rival' from the past and now the future...
I very much look forward to beating the turkey's in a few years...and I perceive them as having more relevance as a football program compared to Pitt currently.
As another poster said it should help the recruiting in the more immediate area which is good (although we do seem to be snareing quite a few from their grounds over the last few years).

At least it gives us 2 more home games at Heinz essentially!

My first game was a BYB years ago and it was certainly a special event at the time...hopefully down the road these games will be too but....I'm just not sure...

It's our most historic rivalry. Playing them and Virginia Tech every year should be a primary goal, with Penn State, Maryland, and seldom teams filling the 3rd. out of conference game. No more mid majors or AA teams.

I'll be 70 in 2022. I'll probably be more excited about my oatmeal then.

I could do without this game and their fans. I won't be going to Heinz Field, that I promise.

I'm not a big fan of this. I was happy to see Virginia Tech back on the schedule. I hope the financials worked out in in our favor.

I so hate that "cheer/saying." My guess is that your post is TIC, so this is not an attack. I just hate that when everyone gets to chanting it, it comes across loud and clear on TV and that doesn't do anyone any good. Call me a prude, but I find that embarrassing. I like to be ahead of the curve and that's way behind it. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this and that's OK.

Means I get to dig out all my Eat S#it Pitt gear.

I could do without this game and their fans. I won't be going to Heinz Field, that I promise.

It's actually an interesting game to attend. Party at Station Square, park there, and take the boat right to the field for the game and back. It beats attending a lot of places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT