ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Lyons adds Featherston to athletic staff

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Lyons Adds Featherston to Athletic Staff

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (July 11, 2016) – West Virginia University Director of Athletics Shane Lyons has announced the hiring of Greg Featherston as the associate athletic director of governance and compliance.

Featherston brings 12 years of governance and compliance experience to West Virginia with previous stops at Georgetown, TCU, Maryland, Manhattan and Louisville. His multiple positions in intercollegiate athletics have all centered on NCAA compliance and comprehensive oversight, as well as specializations in eligibility, recruiting and financial aid. In his supervisory role at previous schools, Featherston has provided compliance direction for more than 600 student-athletes and 200 coaches and staff members.

With the Mountaineers, he will serve in a senior leadership capacity to oversee the daily operation of the compliance unit to assure compliance with NCAA rules, regulations, guidelines and policies. His duties will also include serving as the department’s governance liaison to the NCAA and Big 12 Conference.

“We welcome Greg to our athletic staff. His overall knowledge of NCAA governance, as well the Big 12 Conference, will be very beneficial to our department,” Lyons said. “Compliance is how I got my start in college athletics, so I know how important this area is for our department and University. Greg’s addition to our compliance unit will help us continue to ensure the proper knowledge and information is provided to our coaches, staff and student-athletes.”

Featherston comes to the Mountaineer program from Georgetown, where he spent the past year as the assistant athletic director for compliance. With the Hoyas, he provided complete oversight of the compliance office and served as the sport supervisor for field hockey and women’s lacrosse.

Prior to Georgetown, Featherston spent two years at TCU as the assistant athletic director for compliance. During his tenure with the Horned Frogs, he provided daily supervision of TCU’s compliance efforts, including recruiting, financial aid and implementation of its rules education program.

Featherston’s athletic experience in compliance and governance includes an additional stop at Georgetown, along with stints at Maryland, Manhattan and Louisville.

"I am honored and excited to join the Mountaineer family,” Featherston said. “I would like to thank Shane Lyons and Keli Cunningham for this opportunity and look forward to working closely with WVU student-athletes, coaches, staff and the campus community to uphold the standards of such a great university."

Featherston earned a master’s degree in sport administration from Louisville in 2005, a bachelor’s degree in economics with a minor in business from Texas in 2000 and a bachelor’s degree in communications from Oklahoma State in 1999. He will begin his duties at WVU on July 25.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News