3xWVUenginEER

All-Conference
Dec 7, 2005
images

Adam Sandler’s long lost brother?

Or

images
Actually Rob Riggle?

We lost one famous coach who starred in Passenger 57 opposite that Tax Cheat Wesley Snipes and that bombshell Liz Hurley.

Idk just an observation of a guy who has to go back to work soon.

Totally agree. I worry about hiring him though. 6-6 at OSU with 4-5 star recruits seems pretty lackluster. His one good season at Cinci isnt enough for me to be sold yet.

Didn't that team have major QB issues and then started a young Braxton Miller.
Think Pryor ended up suspended?

The supposed Ohio St fan GregJacobs should know.

Didn't that team have major QB issues and then started a young Braxton Miller.
Think Pryor ended up suspended?

The supposed Ohio St fan GregJacobs should know.

Sandwiched in between an 11 win team and a 12 win team talent was there

Like I said that team's starting QB ended up suspended because of the tattoo thing.

The D wasn't horrible except for Michigan looking at the schedule.

Seems like the issues at QB cost them a few wins.
I think you can place a lot of blame on the OC.

Fickell is a good coach.
Is he elite?
Don't know but elite coaches who recruit 4 and 5 star players will never win at WV because they won't get the recruits.

They need a program builder.

I don't know if Fickell is that guy.
At least he is loyal.

There is no question that Fickell showed a lot of loyalty to Ohio State

Jesus was hired to coach the Jews. The Pharisees didn't like him. I don't expect that our new coach will be a unanimous selection either.

Reactions: UloseOnthursday
Meyer had OSU pass on him as well. And he was at OSU forever, like 15 years or close and was passed over for Day quick fast and in a hurry

Neal Brown has the best resume between he and Fickell just going strictly by real actual esults. In fact, his resume is a lot better than Dana Holgersen's was when we hired him and it really isnt even close. If we were happy with Dana, we should be dancing a jig for someone like Brown, who came from the same coaching tree, was a successful OC in the same system and has already had way more success as a legit HC on top of it. Holgs was WAY more of an unknown commodity when we hired him.

Cincinnati was 11 - 2
2nd year HC...

Ohio is a boarder state, geographically

UC football coach Luke Fickell doesn't appear to be on move anywhere
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...-luke-fickell-west-virginia-rumor/2463622002/

As for reasons Fickell would stay?

He's a native Ohioan who hand-selected Cincinnati as a destination for his wife Amy, and their six children. Fickell played at Columbus DeSales and the family sought out the area's Catholic community. Oldest son Landon plays football for the Moeller Crusaders under former UC offensive lineman and Director of Player Development Doug Rosfeld.

The staff also has local ties with quarterbacks coach Gino Guidugli from Fort Thomas, Kentucky, plus another former Bearcat, Mike Mickens is on staff. Defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman also has a large family that would be difficult to uproot and defensive line coach Steve Stripling and receivers coach Joker Phillips returned to Cincinnati.

Fickell has continually stressed recruiting the "state of Cincinnati" and the current staff has made great inroads in that area. Plus, the Bearcats were one of the youngest Division I programs this past season with 81 underclassmen on a 112-man roster.

In the end, a big check can wipe all of those things away, but indications are the Fickells are content and mentioned in their interviews to get the UC job their plan to stay when the program became successful.

So the President of the University should have no say? SMH.

If he wants a say, he gets one but theres a reason we have an AD.

If I was an AD I wouldnt like it. If Gee's recommendation is a bust, I take the fall for it.

Hiring coaches is the most public duty of an AD. It makes or breaks your career at a university.

Btw folks. I did this thread as a joke. It’s not meant anything other than how similar the looks are between Luke Fickell, Adam Sandler, and Rob Riggle.

It is like comparing the looks of a younger Dana Holgorsen to the villain in Passenger 57. It’s just a joke.

There are too many on this board waiting for WVU's choice so they know who to blast when WVU loses its first game under the new coach.

Btw folks. I did this thread as a joke. It’s not meant anything other than how similar the looks are between Luke Fickell, Adam Sandler, and Rob Riggle.

It is like comparing the looks of a younger Dana Holgorsen to the villain in Passenger 57. It’s just a joke.

And it was a good joke, and very true lol. Still though, the fact remains a lot of 'insiders' are putting Fickell as one of the front runners for the job. We may end up with this guy. If so I hope he does well.

Jesus was hired to coach the Jews. The Pharisees didn't like him. I don't expect that our new coach will be a unanimous selection either.

So, we hire the guy that can walk on water. That simplifies the selection process. Thanks!

So the President of the University should have no say? SMH.

He should be able to nix someone with bad character but he shouldn’t encourage The AD to go away from what he wants. This next hire will either put us yearly top 4 or we will go to the basement with Kansas so Shane better be darn certain he gets the guy he is comfortable with. Not think well Jim Tressell was my guy and he liked Luke Fickell and he has had one good season at Cinci he should be the guy. Some people are just fans and don’t understand the game as well that’s why you have an AD.

Lmao

5 guys were suspended the first 5 games.
Terrell Pryor
DaVier Posey
Mike Adams
Solomon Thomas
Boom Herron

Tressel was suspended for 5 games. The entire team is counting on him to return then he resigns.

4 key players transferred out.

He played Miami and #11 Michigan State in two of those first 5 games without those guys resulting in two losses. Of the 6 regular season.

He then had to prepare a team for The Gator Bowl.

Oh and as far as all that talent there?? They had FOUR guys get drafted. 2nd, 3rd and two 6th round picks.

He beat #10 Wisconsin.

And lost by 6 to Michigan.

As a interm head coach dealing with everything on top of not knowing he was going to be head coach until season started. Then counting on Tressel to return after 5 games. That doesn't happen and he is forced to stay head coach.

Know how much head coaching experience he had before facing that situation?

You guessed it. ZERO
(IF THAT WAS GIBSON FACING THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES YOU GUYS WOULD SING HIS PRAISE FOREVER)

Some of you should get smarter before trying to weigh in on a serious discussion.

He's the hands down best candidate and will be the next WVU head coach is we are lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tnmounty
I don't think he will take the job if offered. (Fickell) I think he's a good coach and would bring a brand of football we can get behind. I think Brown is a great coach as well....just curious why he hasn't been picked by someone else already? Wouldn't be surprised if we all get shocked and it's someone other than those 2.

Lmao

Terrell Pryor
DaVier Posey
Mike Adams
Solomon Thomas
Boom Herron

Tressel was suspended for 5 games. The entire team is counting on him to return then he resigns.

He played Miami and #11 Michigan State in two of those first 5 games without those guys resulting in two losses. Of the 6 regular season.

Oh and as far as all that talent there?? They had FOUR guys get drafted. 2nd, 3rd and two 6th round picks.

He beat #10 Wisconsin.

As a interm head coach dealing with everything on top of not knowing he was going to be head coach until season started. Then counting on Tressel to return after 5 games. That doesn't happen and he is forced to stay head coach.

You guessed it. ZERO
(IF THAT WAS GIBSON FACING THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES YOU GUYS WOULD SING HIS PRAISE FOREVER)

Some of you should get smarter before trying to weigh in on a serious discussion.

He's the hands down best candidate and will be the next WVU head coach is we are lucky.

Seems to have lived a Truman Show life, never going beyond the walls of Ohio.

I don't think he will take the job if offered. (Fickell) I think he's a good coach and would bring a brand of football we can get behind. I think Brown is a great coach as well....just curious why he hasn't been picked by someone else already? Wouldn't be surprised if we all get shocked and it's someone other than those 2.

That matters how close he is with Gordon Gee.

From what I have heard Gee perfers Fickell.

I think Fickell would be the best choice.

Neal Brown as an OC at Tech wasn't all that.

Like I said I think Brown's success in the SunBelt has more to do with the DLine.

I would hire Troy's DLine coach and let him coach your DLine

If I was Troy I would let y'all take Brown and promote the DC and I do not think they miss a beat

You take Luke Fickell away from Cincinnati they are a 5-7 to 7-5 team.

Lmao

Terrell Pryor
DaVier Posey
Mike Adams
Solomon Thomas
Boom Herron

He beat #10 Wisconsin.

You guessed it. ZERO

I’m plenty smart to talk football thank you
Guys in program at time he was interim class rank

If redshirted go back to 06- 12th 07-15 08-4th 09-3rd and 10- 25th....

People want to talk crap when Dana has guys hurt and say no excuses but wvu doesn’t get these type recruit classes yet make excuses for Ohio State. It’s the position coaches job to develop the kids to be 2-3 deep. Don’t tell me they didn’t have the talent. The only changes an interim head coach has to make is in game decisions and practice layouts. coordinators still gameplan the offense he would still game plan the d as the d coordinator. I’ll support whoever they hire but let’s not act like Ohio State wasn’t full of talent and as a fan I feel it’d be a mistake. I’m not the AD...but he needs to make the decision for the program and not listen to people like me or anyone else, because ultimately in four years his job status will depend on this hire.

Reactions: countryroads89
That may be the worst absconsion of Jesus I’ve ever witnessed. Lol.

That matters how close he is with Gordon Gee.

From what I have heard Gee perfers Fickell.

I think Fickell would be the best choice.

Neal Brown as an OC at Tech wasn't all that.

Like I said I think Brown's success in the SunBelt has more to do with the DLine.

I would hire Troy's DLine coach and let him coach your DLine

I don't know that much about either but from what I've seen and read I think Fickell would actually build the program up which is what is needed to take the next step. I'm not sure Brown would do much better than Dana. Just my opinion but I would prefer to get away from the Leach and Mumme "tree".

I’m plenty smart to talk football thank you
Guys in program at time he was interim class rank

If redshirted go back to 06- 12th 07-15 08-4th 09-3rd and 10- 25th....

People want to talk crap when Dana has guys hurt and say no excuses but wvu doesn’t get these type recruit classes yet make excuses for Ohio State. It’s the position coaches job to develop the kids to be 2-3 deep. Don’t tell me they didn’t have the talent. The only changes an interim head coach has to make is in game decisions and practice layouts. coordinators still gameplan the offense he would still game plan the d as the d coordinator. I’ll support whoever they hire but let’s not act like Ohio State wasn’t full of talent and as a fan I feel it’d be a mistake. I’m not the AD...but he needs to make the decision for the program and not listen to people like me or anyone else, because ultimately in four years his job status will depend on this hire.

He wasn't the DC
He was the LB coach if I remember right
He wasn't the DC until Urban Meyer came.

Jim Heacock was their DC

They were co d coordinators which should make it easier to be interim head coach...

So the major concern is how he did during an interim season at the end of the Tressel shit show? That holds more weight than what he's done in 2 seasons in Cincy? Neither are a large enough sample to really know what he can do but not sure why the interim season is the focus?

They were co d coordinators which should make it easier to be interim head coach...

Fickell is someone a lot of former Ohio St players and coaches respect.

I think his success at Cincinnati shouldn't be discounted.
When I watch Cincinnati they are good because of their Defense.

Something that will translate to WV.

With Neal Brown I think his offense is decent but Troy is good because of their D.

Don't want to hire Dan Hawkins and leave Chris Peterson.
CU made that mistake with Boise St .

So the major concern is how he did during an interim season at the end of the Tressel shit show? That holds more weight than what he's done in 2 seasons in Cincy? Neither are a large enough sample to really know what he can do but not sure why the interim season is the focus?

It’s cumulative his d still struggles against above average teams for one. I read (haven’t watched them) that he likes power football which won’t attract caliber of kids we need in Big 12 for two. If he thinks he can come in and run the 4-3 we will get lit up. I’m happy that he appears to be a good man, and he may be loyal and he built off a 4 win team his first season to win 11 games. I’ll support him as a fan but it’s just not my favorite move if he the guy.

It’s cumulative his d still struggles against above average teams for one. I read (haven’t watched them) that he likes power football which won’t attract caliber of kids we need in Big 12 for two. If he thinks he can come in and run the 4-3 we will get lit up. I’m happy that he appears to be a good man, and he may be loyal and he built off a 4 win team his first season to win 11 games. I’ll support him as a fan but it’s just not my favorite move if he the guy.

You have to play power football...

DH even agreed to this. He was able to have an offense that used space but this year he started using parts of the smashmouth spread or power spread.

Lincoln Riley is probably the best at this.
His offense is the AirRaid meets the 1980's Washington Redskins.

You have to play power football...

DH even agreed to this. He was able to have an offense that used space but this year he started using parts of the smashmouth spread or power spread.

Lincoln Riley is probably the best at this.
His offense is the AirRaid meets the 1980's Washington Redskins.

What type of power football are we talking the Clemson power and still spread or are we talking the stuff Nick Saban has to get away from when Dabo started looking like the new powerhouse. Or the Michigan st and Pitt teams that are inept on offense because they want to run 65-35% cuz that doesn’t work anymore

What type of power football are we talking the Clemson power and still spread or are we talking the stuff Nick Saban has to get away from when Dabo started looking like the new powerhouse. Or the Michigan st and Pitt teams that are inept on offense because they want to run 65-35% cuz that doesn’t work anymore

Nick Saban has ran a pro style spread the last 6 years.
Especially when he had Lane Kiffin.

I think you are confusing bad offenses with bad QB play.
And good offenses with good QB play.

The major difference in offense is checkdowns.
Meaning Neal Brown doesn't use them.

Watch the video of Neal Brown on YouTube.

He doesn't use checkdowns.
The QB comes to the line and if he doesn't like what he sees he hands off the ball.

The offense is very Simplistic.

Checkdowns are when the QB comes to line and reads the defenses and then changes not just the line but the entire formation .

Because certain offenses have a lot more plays.

They always have the underneath pass to a HBack or RB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT