ADVERTISEMENT

Losing streak puts bowl game in question for WVU

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
The West Virginia football team has appeared in a bowl game in each of its last five seasons; however that streak may come to an end this year.

While 40 bowl games will be played to conclude the 2019 college football season, WVU may struggle to put itself in a position to be eligible to participate.

Since the beginning of the season, West Virginia has fallen out of bowl projections from national pundits.

The Mountaineers currently hold a record of 3-3 at the midway point of their 12 game schedule. They will have to win three of their remaining six games in order to go bowling, according to NCAA rules.

That is much easier said than done. In its final six games, West Virginia will take on two teams that were nationally ranked in the Oct. 13 issue of the AP Top 25 poll, as well as four other teams with varying strengths.

https://www.thedaonline.com/sports/...cle_c20e1d5a-f068-11e9-b3b5-ff426c188bf8.html

The West Virginia football team has appeared in a bowl game in each of its last five seasons; however that streak may come to an end this year.

While 40 bowl games will be played to conclude the 2019 college football season, WVU may struggle to put itself in a position to be eligible to participate.

Since the beginning of the season, West Virginia has fallen out of bowl projections from national pundits.

The Mountaineers currently hold a record of 3-3 at the midway point of their 12 game schedule. They will have to win three of their remaining six games in order to go bowling, according to NCAA rules.

That is much easier said than done. In its final six games, West Virginia will take on two teams that were nationally ranked in the Oct. 13 issue of the AP Top 25 poll, as well as four other teams with varying strengths.

https://www.thedaonline.com/sports/...cle_c20e1d5a-f068-11e9-b3b5-ff426c188bf8.html

Congratulations?

Reactions: Euell
You really just have to kind of laugh pitifully at trolls like trollAllen--who so badly lacks comprehensive skills that he can't comprehend the difference between a quote from a news article and what I've written myself.

good lord pull yourself together, its a hysterical embarassment.

Course it also shows he either can't read or doesn't try to, yet due to the psycopathic nature of his ego, he is still compelled to respond with childish rants despite having 0 idea what is being discussed.

Really a sad individual.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Away from the troll derailing and back to the subject--which 3 schools can WVU defeat the rest of the way.

OU and Baylor would seem like mini miracles and are the least likely wins.

You'd think KSU maybe, but their pass D is great and WVU has 0 run game under Brown and the pass game under Brown produces lots of INTs.

They won 31-24 @ Mississippi State, beat their FCS opponent 49-14.

Texas Tech lost a couple of games but if you've seen them they've played well against some good teams like Baylor in a narrow loss. They beat up OK State.

Ok State has been a very difficult out for WVU and seem to be playing well in most games.

They beat Oregon State 52-36 compared to WVUs win over NC State 44-27--similar.

Against the FCS team they played, they beat McNeese 56-14 compared to WVU's 20-13 late win over JMU

Against Texas OSU lost 36-30 compared to WVU's 42-31 defeat

TCU beat their FCS opponent 39-7, beat Purdue 34-13 OOC, and beat Kansas 51-14 compared to WVUs 29-24 close call under Brown.

Right about now is where we need one of those lame bloated conference schedules with the cupcake crossover games like the Big Ten and the ACC has.

Where is Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue Maryland, Va Tech, BC, Georgia Tech Syracuse, Pitt and another NC State when you need them???

Lowly Maryland beat Big 12 runner-up Texas last season...and the season before. Be careful what you wish for...other than Rutgers, that is.

Lowly Maryland beat Big 12 runner-up Texas last season...and the season before. Be careful what you wish for...other than Rutgers, that is.

WVU beat Texas last season too, 3 of 4 between 2015 and 2018.

TCU just beat up Purdue there, which beat Ohio State last season.

CFB is an up and down game for sure.

WVU beat Texas last season too, 3 of 4 between 2015 and 2018.

TCU just beat up Purdue there, which beat Ohio State last season.

CFB is an up and down game for sure.
Ohio State beat TCU last season, the same season in which it lost its only game to Purdue. Check mate. Oh, and one game outcome may or may not be a fluke; two consecutive Texas losses to Maryland is a trend.

3-3 now. Oklahoma and Baylor, both unbeaten, next. If WVU drops to 3-5, it would need to win 3 of its final 4 games to qualify for a bowl. Not likely. I hope so. But not likely.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

I named TWELVE teams from the Big Ten and ACC conferences that I would rather play instead of ANY team left on our schedule.

TWELVE!

Away from the troll derailing and back to the subject--which 3 schools can WVU defeat the rest of the way.

OU and Baylor would seem like mini miracles and are the least likely wins.

You'd think KSU maybe, but their pass D is great and WVU has 0 run game under Brown and the pass game under Brown produces lots of INTs.

They won 31-24 @ Mississippi State, beat their FCS opponent 49-14.

Texas Tech lost a couple of games but if you've seen them they've played well against some good teams like Baylor in a narrow loss. They beat up OK State.

Ok State has been a very difficult out for WVU and seem to be playing well in most games.

They beat Oregon State 52-36 compared to WVUs win over NC State 44-27--similar.

Against the FCS team they played, they beat McNeese 56-14 compared to WVU's 20-13 late win over JMU

Against Texas OSU lost 36-30 compared to WVU's 42-31 defeat

TCU beat their FCS opponent 39-7, beat Purdue 34-13 OOC, and beat Kansas 51-14 compared to WVUs 29-24 close call under Brown.
can we get a bowl with 5 wins?

You really just have to kind of laugh pitifully at trolls like trollAllen--who so badly lacks comprehensive skills that he can't comprehend the difference between a quote from a news article and what I've written myself.

good lord pull yourself together, its a hysterical embarassment.

Course it also shows he either can't read or doesn't try to, yet due to the psycopathic nature of his ego, he is still compelled to respond with childish rants despite having 0 idea what is being discussed.

Really a sad individual.

What was the bowl record in those 5 games? What teams should WVU have
beaten in those bowls but failed but failed?

Learn to spell before coming at me tOSUBucky.

I named TWELVE teams from the Big Ten and ACC conferences that I would rather play instead of ANY team left on our schedule.

TWELVE!
I couldn't care less about the ACC. Current Sagarin ranking of B1G schools and WVU:

1. The Ohio State University
3. Bucky Badger U.
7. State Penn
13. Meatchicken
19. Best team in Iowa
20. Sparty
32. Minnesota
52. Indiana
53. WVU

WVU would be the ninth best team in the B1G, and is about the ninth best team in the B1G 12. Thanks for playing.

This is just another anti brown troll thread from you. The 5 game bowl streak will more than likely come to and end. Wvu had a much larger bowl streak from 2002-2012 which came to an end in 2013. Would you care to tell us which coach was in charge in 2013 when that streak ended? I will give you a clue he was in his 3rd Season.

What makes you so sure, Allen? Huggins paid to play in a post-season tournament, and WVU fans applauded him for doing so. The argument often floated for doing what Huggins did or Brown may do is that the team gets invaluable extra practices.

TWELVE!
Just think, if you could schedule every conference's bottom feeders, you might make the Heart of Texas Bowl.

Looking at your list of B1G programs:

Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, and Maryland

Rutgers, Win
Illinois, Tossup, but probable loss
Indiana, Loss
NW, Loss
Purdue, Tossup,
Maryland, Loss

You might rather play them, but your final fate would likely be similar. How would you do against the B1G Top 6 or even Top 7?

Well we could probably beat Michigan. They tend to have problems against weaker teams.

I couldn't care less about the ACC. Current Sagarin ranking of B1G schools and WVU:

1. The Ohio State University
3. Bucky Badger U.
7. State Penn
13. Meatchicken
19. Best team in Iowa
20. Sparty
32. Minnesota
52. Indiana
53. WVU

WVU would be the ninth best team in the B1G, and is about the ninth best team in the B1G 12. Thanks for playing.

WVU is as good or better than Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern. Probably close to Michigan.

Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, PSU and probably Nebraska are ahead right now. WVU would be around 7th at worst in the Big Ten whereas they are next to last currently in the BIG 12

With the lack of respect many fans (and players and some coaches... ahem...Dana) have toward bowl games, it seems not too many people would miss going to one.

WVU is as good or better than Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern. Probably close to Michigan.

Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, PSU and probably Nebraska are ahead right now. WVU would be around 7th at worst in the Big Ten whereas they are next to last currently in the BIG 12
[roll][laughing][laughing][laughing].

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT