ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Let's examine how accurate my depth chart projections were

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
WVSports.com has offered depth chart projections for the past few seasons and it's time to see where I hit and where I missed on the initial release ahead of the Maryland game.

--At quarterback, I projected Jarret Doege as the starter and Garrett Greene as the backup throughout and that was indeed the case.

--One surprise to some was I projected freshman Justin Johnson as the third team running back and that hunch was proven correct in the initial depth chart release.

--Projected all four starters at the wide receiver position correctly with Bryce Ford Wheaton, Sam James, Winston Wright and Sean Ryan. Missed on two backups with Isaiah Esdale slated with an -or- tag behind Sean Ryan at the Z spot instead of Sam Brown who was my projection.

--Tight end was chalk from the initial projections so no surprises there.

--On the offensive line, I correctly projected all five starters with LT Brandon Yates, LG James Gmiter, C Zach Frazier, RG Doug Nester and RT Parker Moorer. In terms of backups, I misfired on the backup LG as that will be Nick Malone and had John Hughes listed as the backup LG instead of the backup RG. The rest was correct.

--On the defensive side of the ball, correctly projected all three starters and the correct backups albeit in some different variations with the exception of having Darel Middleton. That should have been Sean Martin who I did at least list third behind Middleton.

--BANDIT was chalk with Vandarius Cowan and Jared Bartlett.

--Also correctly projected the starters and backups in the correct order at MIKE, WILL and SPEAR. MIKE was Josh Chandler-Semedo and Deshawn Stevens, WILL was Exree Loe and Lance Dixon, while SPEAR was Scottie Young and Charles Woods.

--CAT safety was again correct with Sean Mahone and Kerry Martin, and while I got the obvious starter at free safety in Alonzo Addae I incorrectly projected Kerry Martin as the backup there as well when it should have been Aubrey Burks. That was one of the real surprises to me in the release.

--Cornerbacks were correct in the listings outside of walk-on Malachi Ruffin, but I did project Jackie Matthews to start ahead of Daryl Porter. That was my one true starting miss on the entire depth chart release.

--So overall, another year of hitting it pretty close to what the actual release was. I started this in the summer and didn't make a ton of alterations over the three versions of the release. Missed on one starter and one player that didn't make the depth chart in Middleton, but the rest was a collection of essentially everybody on it outside a few shakeups with the order of the players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News