ADVERTISEMENT

Lets be Realistic

Volatility

Senior
Jun 27, 2018
Charleston WV
www.equitysciences.com
Firstly, its a good sign that Brown is not afraid to make the changes needed, that he has the ability to set the ego aside and make decisions after analysis.

Secondly, while I totally support Graham Harrell hire, as hes probably the best OC WVU could have hired, there are some "philosophies" about the Air Raid that I personally do not like at a program like WVU...

1. Some may say its simplicity is its strength, and that can be true, but its also extremely predictable. When you have an "identity" it makes it easy for others to defend you and your philosophical tendencies.

2. GH has said Air Raid is not trying to out scheme anyone.... That is a big red flag for me personally. You are not always going to have the athletes to out execute everyone, esp at WVU. To be successful at WVU you have to squeeze every possible edge out of every factor that determines outcome. Being versatile from a schematic perspective will help to efficiently utilize the talent given and concepts opponents deploy.

PROS

He did adapt his concepts at TexasSt and at USC, im hoping he continues to do the same here, and introduces concepts outside of the Air Raid tree to maximize conceptual versatility. Like introducing more Zone Stretch, under-center, roll-outs, shift pocket, Shannahan style schemes. His offenses did produce good numbers at USC, but that is with USC talent, so while I know everyone is excited over this hire, with good reason, as it was badly needed, lets be realistic with what we are getting and with our expectations.

The first season under this new system and with an inexp QB, will likely not set the world on fire. It will likely not show the results we hope to see until his second year.

I just really hope we see an offense that is a bit more creative then traditional Air Raid, because quality defenses will be able to shut it down, just like they have the past 10+ yrs. I hope we see a healthy mix of Pro, West coast, Air Raid, more over more creative running game and roll-outs to help reduce the load on the OL, instead of every formation being in shotgun... While we didnt have the ideal RB to run Shannahan style schemes, Lyn-J is now on campus and his skillset along with our other RB's should allow for a broader range of blocking & RG schemes... We also need to continue in balance being a priority. Great football teams are usually when offense and defense are working in unison, symbiotic in purpose.

GH hire is def a reason to be excited, as im certain he'll produce a better product then what we have seen, time will tell if it will be the ideal match for WVU to reach our realistic ceiling, I hope so....

Firstly, its a good sign that Brown is not afraid to make the changes needed, that he has the ability to set the ego aside and make decisions after analysis.

Secondly, while I totally support Graham Harrell hire, as hes probably the best OC WVU could have hired, there are some "philosophies" about the Air Raid that I personally do not like at a program like WVU...

1. Some may say its simplicity is its strength, and that can be true, but its also extremely predictable. When you have an "identity" it makes it easy for others to defend you and your philosophical tendencies.

2. GH has said Air Raid is not trying to out scheme anyone.... That is a big red flag for me personally. You are not always going to have the athletes to out execute everyone, esp at WVU. To be successful at WVU you have to squeeze every possible edge out of every factor that determines outcome. Being versatile from a schematic perspective will help to efficiently utilize the talent given and concepts opponents deploy.

PROS

He did adapt his concepts at TexasSt and at USC, im hoping he continues to do the same here, and introduces concepts outside of the Air Raid tree to maximize conceptual versatility. Like introducing more Zone Stretch, under-center, roll-outs, shift pocket, Shannahan style schemes. His offenses did produce good numbers at USC, but that is with USC talent, so while I know everyone is excited over this hire, with good reason, as it was badly needed, lets be realistic with what we are getting and with our expectations.

The first season under this new system and with an inexp QB, will likely not set the world on fire. It will likely not show the results we hope to see until his second year.

I just really hope we see an offense that is a bit more creative then traditional Air Raid, because quality defenses will be able to shut it down, just like they have the past 10+ yrs. I hope we see a healthy mix of Pro, West coast, Air Raid, more over more creative running game and roll-outs to help reduce the load on the OL, instead of every formation being in shotgun... While we didnt have the ideal RB to run Shannahan style schemes, Lyn-J is now on campus and his skillset along with our other RB's should allow for a broader range of blocking & RG schemes... We also need to continue in balance being a priority. Great football teams are usually when offense and defense are working in unison, symbiotic in purpose.

GH hire is def a reason to be excited, as im certain he'll produce a better product then what we have seen, time will tell if it will be the ideal match for WVU to reach our realistic ceiling, I hope so....
In my time of covering WVU, which is a long time now, I can't think of a better hire of an assistant. Now that's only on paper and we won't know for a while but this was a fantastic move by Brown on many levels.

In my time of covering WVU, which is a long time now, I can't think of a better hire of an assistant. Now that's only on paper and we won't know for a while but this was a fantastic move by Brown on many levels.
There are definitely reasons to be excited about it. The article above isnt negative, just realistic. Im seeing a lot of people who think we will be a top X offense next year, people are just going by the "Name" and dont really even know what it is we are getting or the concepts/philosophies deployed.

Personally speaking Im not a fan of "Air Raid Only" schemes, the game has evolved beyond it where truly dynamic offenses are not limited to any specific concept or philosophy but an entire arsenal to mitigate predictability.

I understand the strength is its simplicity, I suppose its just a personal preference for what I think would allow WVU to reach its realistic ceiling, as Air Raid relies on an extremely high level of execution, and WVU will not always have the athletes to out execute opponents.

It was by far the best hire we could have hoped for at this time, and Brown def landed someone NOBODY thought he would be able to get. Again, there is a lot to be excited for, and we all want+hope GH turns WVU into a top X offense, but if it happens, its likely not going to be next yr, unless Dart transfers to WVU and we land a high-end WR1 in the portal.

I am in no way negative about GH, not at all.... Just trying to set a realistic expectations for those who think hes gonna solve every offensive problem by next season, no more.... no less... It will be a far more exciting brand of football tho, which should hopefully equate to continued recruiting quality. Im positive all boosters are happy about this move, and we all know all the writers love it and this offseason will be a wet dream for those who cover the team... We're already clamoring for updates, lol...

Last edited:
GH will be succesful here given the right tools. Everyone on staff has 2 years to prove it as does Shane or they are gone.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr

I AGREE 1,000% WITH VERN. THE OC HIRE COULD RETURN WVU TO THE LEVEL OF THE RICH ROD ERA! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!

This appears to be about the same situation when Stewart had failed and the administration stepped in and pushed him to hire a new Offensive Coordinator--one who had air raid experience and was considered on of the top new offensive minds in the country.

Lyons told Brown to make the coaching change and luckily someone with the apparent talents of Harrell became available at the right time.

What will be interesting to see is how the now depleted roster will perform even with a new O coordinator. WVU needs wins now, not in a few years.

Reactions: Rootmaster
More false accusations from Bucky the VOM Brad Smith lover.

troll Allen knows that HIS accusations are the actual false ones. Everything I stated is true.

Its part of his MO. Someone states facts he doesn't like and then he comes in and claims they are false, wrong, you are a "insert infantile name here"!

But what he never does because he CAN'T is state what exactly is wrong about the stated facts. He is a liar and a troll. What's interesting is:

Is troll Allen truly in love with Brown, or is he simply infatuated with me and cannot control posting contrary statements no matter what I post?

Obviously he is a stalker as every post I make, he shows up making negative statements.

We know he cares nothing for WVU football as he worked night and day to push out the second winningest coach ever, and is 100% behind the worst coach since the 1950's.

What's with the "Brad Smith lover"? I don't know who Brad Smith is. Someone explain that weird troll Allen comment.

I get the excitement, but I think we need to tap the brakes. USC has sucked the last few years. We need to keep that thought in prospective. Until the offensive line problems are resolved, it does not matter who is the quarterback. He is either going to be running for his life or taking major hits.
Agreed. Not a fan of retaining Parker either. Harrell has potential but there is a reason he isn't still at USC either.

This appears to be about the same situation when Stewart had failed and the administration stepped in and pushed him to hire a new Offensive Coordinator--one who had air raid experience and was considered on of the top new offensive minds in the country.

Lyons told Brown to make the coaching change and luckily someone with the apparent talents of Harrell became available at the right time.

What will be interesting to see is how the now depleted roster will perform even with a new O coordinator. WVU needs wins now, not in a few years

Agreed. Not a fan of retaining Parker either. Harrell has potential but there is a reason he isn't still at USC either.
Parker IMO will be a distraction after being demoted. Needs to go. Next year will depend on how the OL develops. Won't matter who the QB is if we can't block.

hmm

I agree. Its a good hire...

I think this will help us finish with 6 wins next year. Let's gooool

• Haha
Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
troll Allen knows that HIS accusations are the actual false ones. Everything I stated is true.

Its part of his MO. Someone states facts he doesn't like and then he comes in and claims they are false, wrong, you are a "insert infantile name here"!

But what he never does because he CAN'T is state what exactly is wrong about the stated facts. He is a liar and a troll. What's interesting is:

Is troll Allen truly in love with Brown, or is he simply infatuated with me and cannot control posting contrary statements no matter what I post?

Obviously he is a stalker as every post I make, he shows up making negative statements.

We know he cares nothing for WVU football as he worked night and day to push out the second winningest coach ever, and is 100% behind the worst coach since the 1950's.
Dude. You do not need to use this much graphic detail on how you pleasure your wife's boyfriends. But going back to our previous conversation, you must be pretty efficient at it since you do it so often.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Parker IMO will be a distraction after being demoted. Needs to go. Next year will depend on how the OL develops. Won't matter who the QB is if we can't block.
Yeah would think he'd have sour grapes to be forcibly moved to a lesser role. We saw what happened last time someone was asked to move over for the new guy, WVU football doesn't need a repeat of that.

Wisest line this thread:

Won't matter who the QB is if we can't block.

OC hire is great. But we need people to keep the QB alive for an entire season, too.

Let's hope Shane, who brought in Harrell, made the O line improvement clear to Neal, too.

But I am excited about the new OC hire. But I'll withhold by orgasms till I see how it plays out on the actual field, between the lines!

Hopeful, though. Move in the right direction.

I think this will help us finish with 6 wins next year.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH. NEAL DID THAT THIS PAST SEASON. THERE MUST BE A CLIMB AND WE DON'T NEED A DAMN SLOGAN TO ACHIEVE IT, JUST GOOD MANAGEMENT AND GOOD PLAYER TALENT! RICH DID IT! LET'S BRING BACK THE RICH-LEVEL QUALITY FOOTBALL! DOUBLE-DIGIT SEASONS!

Reactions: 4everloyal

NOT GOOD ENOUGH. NEAL DID THAT THIS PAST SEASON. THERE MUST BE A CLIMB AND WE DON'T NEED A DAMN SLOGAN TO ACHIEVE IT, JUST GOOD MANAGEMENT AND GOOD PLAYER TALENT! RICH DID IT! LET'S BRING BACK THE RICH-LEVEL QUALITY FOOTBALL! DOUBLE-DIGIT SEASONS!
You'd think such an accomplished writer would know sarcasm when it it slaps the reader in the face.

I think he was being sarcastic there. But unfortunately that's the best we've seen to date.

If WVU is to continue as a major program that isn't sustainable and agree 100%, the time for silly slogans that are not close to being met are over, now its time for results.

One of many steps needed taken.

What's with the "Brad Smith lover"? I don't know who Brad Smith is. Someone explain that weird troll Allen comment.
Did you not see your two post of Brad articles? Or are you Brad Smith? He gets his info from the websites like this one and from idiots like yourself. The guy is bad news like you.

I see Parker as the next coach gone probably after February. Good recruiter is about it.

See HC being fired. See new HC that never keep previous staff members but bring their own with them.

PROS

Win or gtfo...

Reactions: pressvirginia
Did you not see your two post of Brad articles? Or are you Brad Smith? He gets his info from the websites like this one and from idiots like yourself. The guy is bad news like you.
I recently posted an interview with Steadman Bailey. I don't know who penned the article but it primarily consisted of DIRECT QUOTES from Steadman Bailey re: a disconnect between the present coaching staff and players and concern about the very large exodus from the program.

Had nothing whatsoever to do with someone else you want to attack named Brad Smith or whatever, that wasn't the subject of the article, just straight quotes from a Mountaineer great.

But now seeing what you've written I'm guessing that person must be posting factual information about the state/welfare of WVU football and you don't like that because it contradicts your fake stories about Neal Brown.

I recently posted an interview with Steadman Bailey. I don't know who penned the article but it primarily consisted of DIRECT QUOTES from Steadman Bailey re: a disconnect between the present coaching staff and players and concern about the very large exodus from the program.

Had nothing whatsoever to do with someone else you want to attack named Brad Smith or whatever, that wasn't the subject of the article, just straight quotes from a Mountaineer great.

But now seeing what you've written I'm guessing that person must be posting factual information about the state/welfare of WVU football and you don't like that because it contradicts your fake stories about Neal Brown.
Wow. So you are really efficient at polishing. Your wife has that many folks run the train on her then that you cannot keep up? Impressive if she can out pace you given I have heard you're a legend at the I-79 truck stop glory holes.

So you didn't even noticed being deleted not once but twice. Continue with Brad Smith articles and see if you get banned or not.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees

Brad Smith is actually critical of WVU and doesn’t follow the homer WVU media frenzy that they all do. Also gets way more traffic to his site so many are jealous of him.

Reactions: KingCoal
So you didn't even noticed being deleted not once but twice. Continue with Brad Smith articles and see if you get banned or not.
I don't know who Brad Smith is. Odd that there is ANYTHING here that gets censored though considering lunatics like you can post anything you want whenever you want no matter how off the wall or flat out false. Have to get an explanation of the backstory of Brad Smith and whatever runs this site.

What exactly did Brad Smith do that you are so afraid of that you ban a straightforward interview with Mountaineer great Steadman Bailey who describes in some detail some of the internal problems he has witnessed with the coaching staff at WVU? Its not like people who are intelligent can ONLY read this site--lol. They can just go look up Steadman Bailey's interview if they want to. So you aren't accomplishing anything.

So we are taking an opinion of a former Dana Holgersen player and was a graduate assistant under Holgersen for ONE YEAR, in 2016. THREE seasons before Brown took over. I have to wonder how many players that Bailey knew, were still there?

Brad Smith is actually critical of WVU and doesn’t follow the homer WVU media frenzy that they all do. Also gets way more traffic to his site so many are jealous of him.
Never heard of him, just posted an interview with Steadman Bailey that is pretty eye opening from a few days ago.

So we are taking an opinion of a former Dana Holgersen player and was a graduate assistant under Holgersen for ONE YEAR, in 2016. THREE seasons before Brown took over. I have to wonder how many players that Bailey knew, were still there?
Steadman is a WVU Mountaineer. Not sure what YOU are, but he was a great player for the Mountaineers and is well respected by the players at WVU.

He tells the truth that he witnessed firsthand behind the scenes with the current coaches, you make up uninformed nonsense to promote an agenda.

Yeah, think I know who I'll believe.

Last edited:
Steadman is a WVU Mountaineer. Not sure what YOU are, but he was a great player for the Mountaineers and is well respected by the players at WVU.

He tells the truth that he witnessed firsthand behind the scenes with the current coaches, you make up uninformed nonsense to promote an agenda.

Yeah, think I know who I'll believe.
Stedman got caught cheating by the NFL for violating the substance abuse policy. Also took a bullet while hanging out in the hood. His character and decision making is very questionable.

Shameful watching trolls trying to disparage anything and everything speaking the truth about #13. What is this strange hold Brown has on them?

Shameful watching trolls trying to disparage anything and everything speaking the truth about #13. What is this strange hold Brown has on them?
Maybe it’s using a little thing called doubt due to the FACT that Bailey was not here to witness any interaction between the coach and the players other than watching the game on Saturday. What went on during the hours of practice, film sessions, meetings, meals, travel and pre / post game? Only the staff and players know and if I hear it from the ones who were actually there I’d buy it. Otherwise I am not going to believe it from the likes of you or Bailey for that matter based on your agenda.

And where did Vern mention Rich Rod again?

I SAID I AGREE WITH VERN. I DID NOT SAY VERN SAID IT WOULD RETURN WVU TO RICH ROD LEVEL. BUT I THINK EVEN VERN WOULD AGREE THAT THE HIRE MAY IMPROVE WVU TO THE LEVEL IT HAD WHEN RICH WAS HERE. DO NOT POKE THE BEAR, MY FRIEND. NOT UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SOMEONE'S DINNER.

I SAID I AGREE WITH VERN. I DID NOT SAY VERN SAID IT WOULD RETURN WVU TO RICH ROD LEVEL. BUT I THINK EVEN VERN WOULD AGREE THAT THE HIRE MAY IMPROVE WVU TO THE LEVEL IT HAD WHEN RICH WAS HERE. DO NOT POKE THE BEAR, MY FRIEND. NOT UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SOMEONE'S DINNER.
If it’s all the same to you, I’d rather go back to the Don Nehlen level, when the pressure to beat a ranked team at home (not a chump 4-7 school) knowing the national title game was there for the taking, is where I would rather be.
Ah the days when actually playing for the national title instead of choking, then running out the back door happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT