ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Konate to test NBA Draft Process

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Konate to Test NBA Draft Process

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (April 3, 2018) – West Virginia sophomore forward Sagaba Konate will submit the paperwork to go through the NBA Draft process, but he will not hire an agent.

“Sags will go through the NBA Draft procedures in a systematic and professional manner by exploring the situation and leaving open his option to return,” coach Bob Huggins said.

Konate started 36 games this past season, averaging 10.8 points, 7.6 rebounds and finished the season with 116 blocks.

I don't blame him. Can't hurt to find out where they think he stands. I think they will tell him that he needs to greatly improve his ball skills and perimeter defense. Either that, or grow 3 inches.

The NBA drafts on potential more than anything else. If Konate truly is 6'8" then he might receive a late first round grade.

6-8 is tiny for a true big man in NBA. His scoring doesn’t cut it yet. NBA big guys will abuse him now. He needs at least another year of development. Total mistake if he doesn’t come back.

Reactions: bamaEER
An objective critique can only help him improve for next season. Look how it helped Carter become a better all around player in his final season for the Mountaineers. IMHO Sags should and will be wearing the WVU uniform next year.

My belief that he is doing so to learn what he needs to work on to be a possible draft pick next year.

Your "belief" isn't worth a plugged nickel, T-Bone/Allen. If Konate is graded as a first-round pick, which is unlikely at this point, then he'll be gone. First round draft picks are guaranteed two-year NBA contracts, IIRC, so you had better hope and pray that he receives a lower grade.

6-8 is tiny for a true big man in NBA. His scoring doesn’t cut it yet. NBA big guys will abuse him now. He needs at least another year of development. Total mistake if he doesn’t come back.
Charles Barkley was listed 6’6”

How don’t know what Adrian is seeing. Konate is 6-8 no shorter no taller. I’ve met him and he is taller than 6-6 easy. Barkley is legit 6-5. Maybe closer to 6-6. I think people exaggerate that he’s shorter.

Still though, 6-8 is not tall for a big man position in NBA. 6-8 center is tiny in NBA. 6-8 is even short for power forwards in NBA. Konate is not skilled enough yet to make up for it. Not close. Needs another year or 2 in college.

Your "belief" isn't worth a plugged nickel, T-Bone/Allen. If Konate is graded as a first-round pick, which is unlikely at this point, then he'll be gone. First round draft picks are guaranteed two-year NBA contracts, IIRC, so you had better hope and pray that he receives a lower grade.

No agent has been hired. Carter did the same last year. Losing a Konate will be a loss for sure. But not as big a loss as the 2 SR guards who have graduated.

Please investigate before spewing shit out of your fingers.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
T-Bone Allen can't read, so I'll try to penetrate her thick skull one more time: In the unlikely event that Konate receives a first round grade, he is gone to the NBA. BGN is missing its biggest homer, and villlage idiot, so return home, T-Bone.

T-Bone Allen can't read, so I'll try to penetrate her thick skull one more time: In the unlikely event that Konate receives a first round grade, he is gone to the NBA. BGN is missing its biggest homer, and villlage (village) idiot, so return home, T-Bone.

You do know this is not the woodshed. Have you become senile? I have corrected your mistakes. You grade out as C (clueless).

Reactions: WVUFanForever
Hilarious that some people believe he would improve more by coming back. I guess he can't develop more under NBA coaching than he could with Huggins.

Just so the people here who claim to understand the NBA but really don't know anything are clear. The NBA works like this:
A top 5 pick is a instant impact player.
A lottery pick is a player who could make an immediate impact but still needs time to develop.
A late first/second round player is a player who is either very raw with tons of potential OR a seasoned player who can contribute off the bench and can thrive as a role player. (Sometimes teams get Lucky based on where they draft a guy)

Carter is a late first round player.
Konate is a late first round or second round player now. Could maybe develop into a lottery pick with another year.

So Konate could leave. Just really depends on how much he wants to play again for WVU or if he wants to take his talent to the next level now and earn a paycheck.

Size does not matter. If you can jump out of the gym.
And you are stronger than a 6'10 big man.

Stop with the he's only 6 whatever crap.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Good points, Vault. Many of the same people who argue that Konate is too small to play in the NBA also argue that he must return to school. Is Konate expected to grow a couple of inches in the next year or two?

Good points, Vault. Many of the same people who argue that Konate is too small to play in the NBA also argue that he must return to school. Is Konate expected to grow a couple of inches in the next year or two?

He is expected to be better next year. Konate needs to figure out if he wants to play summer league then get cut then reassigned to G league.If he goes he goes. I don't believe he has the talent to go yet. See Devin Williams currently playing G league.

Konate doesn't have the talent do go to the NBA yet? Google the difference between talent and skill, then get back to us, T-Bone. By the way, Devin Williams can't jump over a phone book. You're comparing apples to oranges, as usual.

Konate had about 5-6 blocks in today’s scrimmage at the combine and was his team’s 3rd leading scorer

The only thing keeping him out of Round 1 is that he measured in at 6’7.5 with an average wingspan of 7’ (average for NBA PF/C prospects)

Guys that short simply don’t get drafted in Round 1 where there is guaranteed money.

Maybe he learns how to dribble more and develop more consistent jump shots from 18-20 ft. Maybe learns how to play defense other than rim protector. Maybe learn how defend pick and roll. He struggled now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT