ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas beating Holgorsen and Houston 42-27 in 4Q

I love Pat White but I don't think the time he came along worked against him. He started in the NFL in 2009 or so. The NFL was taking run/pass QBs by then, but the QB had to be able to pass well and Pat just wasn't a good enough passer. I don't think he could play QB in the NFL if he came along today either.
Pat White was essentially a better version of Skyler Howard. Both were winners.

I love Pat White but I don't think the time he came along worked against him. He started in the NFL in 2009 or so. The NFL was taking run/pass QBs by then, but the QB had to be able to pass well and Pat just wasn't a good enough passer. I don't think he could play QB in the NFL if he came along today either.
I think the thing that worked against Pat was he was a Dual Threat + RPO+ZRead QB & a LEFTY in a era that wasnt deploying those schemes. I dont think the NFL really started adapting those concepts until around 2012-2013 after Robert Griffen was drafted and colin Kapernick was starting for the 49ers... Thats when I first noticed it.. I recall the first time people really started talking about it, when Colin Kap ran for like 200+ yards against Green Bay, DC's hadnt figured out how to stop it yet... Its strange to think about innovation coming from the collegiate level and not the professional, but I suppose when there is that much pressure to win, experimental things take a back seat to whats proven..

Pat was 4 years to early I believe.... Sure Pat was a better runner, but I think his arm was better then people give him credit for. HIs Completion % was pretty good after his Freshman year maintaining > 65%. Drafting a Lefty QB too is kinda considered "a task", because things have to be switched around... So he had a few things going against him. He would have needed to work on improving his arm no doubt, that and gain a few pounds, but if he came along today, and if the offense was designed around him, like it has been for Lamar Jackson, I dont see why he wouldnt at least be a quality backup for a QB like Lamar... Backup QBs do pretty well for themselves, and ultimately I think we all wanted Pat to be able to cash in, for how much he did for WVU.

Hopefully his coaching career works out and he continues to grow there too... Would be pretty cool to see him back at WVU one day as an OC or QB/RB coach...

I wouldn’t go that far. He was special, but he wouldn’t be a 1st rd pick today.

I think he would be. Not as much because he is worth a first round pick but rather because the NFL has become so afraid of missing on a QB recently. So afraid that teams reach for QBs in the first round all the time. See Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Lance, Mayfield, Manziel, Trubisky, Jones, Haskins, Bortles, Darnold, Fields, Lock, Rosen, etc....

I think he would be. Not as much because he is worth a first round pick but rather because the NFL has become so afraid of missing on a QB recently. So afraid that teams reach for QBs in the first round all the time. See Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Lance, Mayfield, Manziel, Trubisky, Jones, Haskins, Bortles, Darnold, Fields, Lock, Rosen, etc....
I think the scouting report said his release was too slow for the NFL.

I think the scouting report said his release was too slow for the NFL.

Very well may have been. Again my thinking that he'd be a first round selection in the modern era is based far more on the climate of NFL teams reaching for any QB with a shred of potential than Major's legit first round talent merits.

Very well may have been. Again my thinking that he'd be a first round selection in the modern era is based far more on the climate of NFL teams reaching for any QB with a shred of potential than Major's legit first round talent merits.
Honestly, I still think he’s the most electrifying player WVU has ever had. I think it’s a shame nobody gave him a shot. Scouting reports get things wrong. After all, Tom Brady was a 6th rd pick.

After watching Jalen Hurts play for the Eagles, Major could definitely play in today's NFL.
I agree. He had the “IT” factor. He was a game changer. People think Pat White was special and he most certainly was, but he wasn’t a Major Harris. Major could do it all. He had Pat White Wheels and a cannon of an arm. He was Michael Vick before Michael Vick.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
When Major played it always looked like he was having fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT