ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Lunardi

skygusty

All-Conference
May 14, 2003
Talking about who is in and who is out just stated what we all know. The other conferences are too big, divisions lead to deceptive concepts of schedule strength, and only leagues like the Big12, where every team plays every other team give a true representation of what teams do in conference. The same applies in football. It isn't so much that other teams suck, it's that the 10 team conference is the superior model. The only argument for mega conferences is money, not quality of competition.

Talking about who is in and who is out just stated what we all know. The other conferences are too big, divisions lead to deceptive concepts of schedule strength, and only leagues like the Big12, where every team plays every other team give a true representation of what teams do in conference. The same applies in football. It isn't so much that other teams suck, it's that the 10 team conference is the superior model. The only argument for mega conferences is money, not quality of competition.

Your absolutely right. Big money payouts and the media market expansion arms race is fueling the mega conference beast.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
The question is have we gone so far down that track that it's too late to stop the runaway train?

Too late the damage is done. The last thing college sports needs is another major conference shift again.

Too late the damage is done. The last thing college sports needs is another major conference shift again.
It'll happen when these megaconferences are getting a fraction of revenues. It'll go back to being quality over quantity, in which case we are in a much better position than say the ACC.

It'll happen when these megaconferences are getting a fraction of revenues. It'll go back to being quality over quantity, in which case we are in a much better position than say the ACC.
Just to push my point - NASCAR was a big moneymaker in the early 2000s. They kept going for TV markets and metro areas for attendance, but forgot to realize that maybe 20,000 people will come to a race at a track meant to seat 100,000. They also alienated their base market in the south with moving away races, but also neutering the drivers from shenanigans that made drivers like Earnhardt popular. Once they realized their mistake, they started undoing some of their bad work, but the damage is done. NASCAR isn't anywhere near as popular now, nor is it quite the moneymaker. Collegiate athletics are about to feel that same sting as TV networks start realizing that cable packages are going obsolete and even though Rutgers is among several million TV sets, only 10,000 are watching them. The B1G will regret adding the likes of Rutgers and Maryland, and the ACC will regret adding a good bit of its current schools.

Just to push my point - NASCAR was a big moneymaker in the early 2000s. They kept going for TV markets and metro areas for attendance, but forgot to realize that maybe 20,000 people will come to a race at a track meant to seat 100,000. They also alienated their base market in the south with moving away races, but also neutering the drivers from shenanigans that made drivers like Earnhardt popular. Once they realized their mistake, they started undoing some of their bad work, but the damage is done. NASCAR isn't anywhere near as popular now, nor is it quite the moneymaker. Collegiate athletics are about to feel that same sting as TV networks start realizing that cable packages are going obsolete and even though Rutgers is among several million TV sets, only 10,000 are watching them. The B1G will regret adding the likes of Rutgers and Maryland, and the ACC will regret adding a good bit of its current schools.
Correctamundo - I used to have four prime season tickets at Bristol Motor Speedway, but the money-grubbing track owners and the local businesses gouging the fans on race weekends, was enough to make me say "here you go, good luck in the future, because you're gonna need it". A three night minimum in a Super 8 Motel was almost $1,000. Bristol used to be THE TRACK that everyone wanted to be, especially that August night race, but the money grubbers wrote off the regular fans and now you have Bristol half full, even for the night race. It rubbed me the wrong way in a way that I don't even have any desire to go to another race, not even with FREE tickets.

I went to the Bristol Motor Speedway a number of years ago and attended my first NASCAR race. I got turned off with the beer (drunks) and old fat men taking their shirts off. Old fat men that take their shirts off should be required by law to wear a bra! Especially when attending a NASCAR race or riding a lawn mower. Warez

I went to the Bristol Motor Speedway a number of years ago and attended my first NASCAR race. I got turned off with the beer (drunks) and old fat men taking their shirts off. Old fat men that take their shirts off should be required by law to wear a bra! Especially when attending a NASCAR race or riding a lawn mower. Warez
Agreed !!

Unfortunately without money schools can't run their athletic departments. Its not going to change.

My first NASCAR race was Richmond in the fall of 89. The 20 something cutie sitting next to me in a tank top would wave her right arm all 400 times the #3 car went by. And four hundred times her right boob flopped out of her tank top. Now that is racing

Unfortunately without money schools can't run their athletic departments. Its not going to change.
Then sports will be cut. Money is going to drop with the next TV contracts. I'd say all G5 conferences go to their own streaming services or link up with Hulu/Netflix/Sling. P5 conferences will be close behind. That's still not the same kind of money they're currently getting. If you don't see that coming, you're blind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT