ADVERTISEMENT

Jimbo getting fired today

Country Roads Trust didn't launch until Jan 2022..WVU was late to the party...only one recruiting class has had the collective available...five starters on defense were lost to the highest bidder
One of those 5 transferred because Morgantown is not safe…

Reactions: WESTBGVA
One of those 5 transferred because Morgantown is not safe…
And he transferred to the safest city in America right? Miami. Fl.

Miami has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime is one in 29.

Saban would not of won anything if he were at WVU. According to Bucket-head if the great Dana Holgersen couldn’t win here, how can a lower level coach like Saban?

That according to Bucky.

I do not believe Saban would’ve won a NC at WVU. Case in point; look at Saban results at Michigan State. Up until his final year , he was winning 6-7 games. Then got 10 and left. Most of these guy win because they get the best of the best players. When they don’t , they don’t win often.
I’m not talking about up and coming Saban. Im talking if at his peak, following the NFL stint he came here instead of Bama along with all of the bravado, and started killing teams in year 2. He would have won atleast 1 here, this isn’t UConn, it’s not hard to convince players to go another 4 hours north from other SEC schools if you have the right coach.

I swear people here act like WVU is in Siberia, we are down the road from PSU FFS who everyone agrees has a great recruiting base.

Last edited:
The only question that really needs to be answered is this: Is Jimbo an upgrade over Brown?

Assuming he would want the job - he may or may not. But if he does, how can anyone deny he's not better than Brown?

I've seen some reasons given - none of which hold much merit.

He had the top ranked class, he recruited from the talent-rich states of Florida and Texas, etc. and he still couldn't win.

He brought in all of that talent - to both FSU and A&M. They could have gone to other schools but they didn't. Would he be able to recruit the same level of talent to WVU? Probably not! But, even if he could get 25% - 50% of that he would wipe the floor with what we have now.

Let's look at Brown's recruiting for this year. According to Rivals, we have 19 commitments right now.

Zero 5 stars.
One 4 star.
18 - two and three stars.

Out of those 19 recruits, WVU was the "best" or "biggest" offer for eleven of them. We are talking about we have to beat out the likes of BC, Akron, Western Kentucky, Buffalo, Toledo, and Furman? for these recruits. Another 3 or 4 we had to beat out a Purdue or Wisconsin. Only for 3 kids did we have to beat out a Michigan, Penn State, FSU, or other "name" school.

Could Jimbo beat that? Every single day...

He couldn't win the SEC with all that and the money.

Valid point. But he proved he COULD win the ACC with it, as well as a NC. Which is the new B12 (minus UT and OU) closer to, the ACC or the SEC? It's certainly not the SEC. If he can come close to replicating what he had at FSU, then we would be in business.

Are we going to win the NC with Jimbo? Probably not, but that isn't the goal right now. The goal should be to compete for the new B12 championship. THEN win it. Then the playoffs.

With Brown, we can't sniff even the small goal and with the recruiting class (42nd) he's bringing in, that isn't happening anytime soon either. Jimbo gives us an upgrade and a fighting chance... but if people think a bigger profile name will come on the market we could get after the season, then I'm with you. But, if not, it makes the most sense to jump on board now.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
I’m not talking about up and coming Saban. Im talking if at his peak, following the NFL stint he came here instead of Bama along with all of the bravado, and started killing teams in year 2. He would have won atleast 1 here, this isn’t UConn, it’s not hard to convince players to go another 4 hours north from other SEC schools if you have the right coach.

I swear people here act like WVU is in Siberia, we are down the road from PSU FFS who everyone agrees has a great recruiting base.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting WVU is remote at all, let alone somewhere like Siberia. As Huggins said many times, WVU is in a geographical hotbed surrounded by many major metropolitan cities to recruit that are only a short drive away. Trust me, I’m a big Saban supporter who only wishes WVU would’ve had him as HC. That said, I’m not sure Saban just suddenly learned to coach at an elite level after Michigan State. He probably would’ve averaged 8-9 wins here.

The only question that really needs to be answered is this: Is Jimbo an upgrade over Brown?

Assuming he would want the job - he may or may not. But if he does, how can anyone deny he's not better than Brown?

He had the top ranked class, he recruited from the talent-rich states of Florida and Texas, etc. and he still couldn't win.

He brought in all of that talent - to both FSU and A&M. They could have gone to other schools but they didn't. Would he be able to recruit the same level of talent to WVU? Probably not! But, even if he could get 25% - 50% of that he would wipe the floor with what we have now.

Let's look at Brown's recruiting for this year. According to Rivals, we have 19 commitments right now.

Zero 5 stars.
One 4 star.

Out of those 19 recruits, WVU was the "best" or "biggest" offer for eleven of them. We are talking about we have to beat out the likes of BC, Akron, Western Kentucky, Buffalo, Toledo, and Furman? for these recruits. Another 3 or 4 we had to beat out a Purdue or Wisconsin. Only for 3 kids did we have to beat out a Michigan, Penn State, FSU, or other "name" school.

Valid point. But he proved he COULD win the ACC with it, as well as a NC. Which is the new B12 (minus UT and OU) closer to, the ACC or the SEC? It's certainly not the SEC. If he can come close to replicating what he had at FSU, then we would be in business.

Are we going to win the NC with Jimbo? Probably not, but that isn't the goal right now. The goal should be to compete for the new B12 championship. THEN win it. Then the playoffs.

With Brown, we can't sniff even the small goal and with the recruiting class (42nd) he's bringing in, that isn't happening anytime soon either. Jimbo gives us an upgrade and a fighting chance... but if people think a bigger profile name will come on the market we could get after the season, then I'm with you. But, if not, it makes the most sense to jump on board now.
Not referring to you necessarily, but why is everyone acting like Jimbo was a failure at Texas A&M? He wasn’t. Look at Texas A&M football records for the last 100+ years. It will look eerily close to WVU over the same time span. For whatever reason, It’s not easy to win there. Also, besides last year, Fisher was averaging 8-9 wins there. Again, their historical standard. Lastly, let’s look at the entire body of work.

Jimbo Fisher
6 year win total at Texas A&M
*Fired after 10 games of final year
45-25

Rich Rodriguez
First 6 years at WVU
*only coached WVU 7 years
50-24

Very similar success. No matter how you feel about Rodriguez now, he was loved here.

I think it’s safe to say, it’s a no brainer to hire Jimbo if we have a chance.

Not referring to you necessarily, but why is everyone acting like Jimbo was a failure at Texas A&M? He wasn’t. Look at Texas A&M football records for the last 100+ years. It will look eerily close to WVU over the same time span. For whatever reason, It’s not easy to win there. Also, besides last year, Fisher was averaging 8-9 wins there. Again, their historical standard. Lastly, let’s look at the entire body of work.

Jimbo Fisher
6 year win total at Texas A&M
*Fired after 10 games of final year
45-25

Rich Rodriguez
First 6 years at WVU
*only coached WVU 7 years
50-24

Very similar success. No matter how you feel about Rodriguez now, he was loved here.

I think it’s safe to say, it’s a no brainer to hire Jimbo if we have a chance.
Not to mention the SEC West is the very hardest side of the most difficult conference in the country and the season everyone wants to point to, last year, he was working with a third string qb by the end of the season. He had some bad luck at A&M. I hear a lot of injury excuses for our current coach by the same people instantly shooting down the thought of Fisher at WVU. Like you said, if you think he’s an upgrade over Brown, then you have your answer. I have no doubt that he is better than Brown.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Not to mention the SEC West is the very hardest side of the most difficult conference in the country and the season everyone wants to point to, last year, he was working with a third string qb by the end of the season. He had some bad luck at A&M. I hear a lot of injury excuses for our current coach by the same people instantly shooting down the thought of Fisher at WVU. Like you said, if you think he’s an upgrade over Brown, then you have your answer. I have no doubt that he is better than Brown.
Is that even a question at this point? Brown had success at Troy in the Sun Belt conference. Brown has been a failure at WVU in the Big 12. Fisher has won a NC at FSU and went 83-23 at Florida State. And 45-25 at TAMU. It’s not even close.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
I don’t think anyone is suggesting WVU is remote at all, let alone somewhere like Siberia. As Huggins said many times, WVU is in a geographical hotbed surrounded by many major metropolitan cities to recruit that are only a short drive away. Trust me, I’m a big Saban supporter who only wishes WVU would’ve had him as HC. That said, I’m not sure Saban just suddenly learned to coach at an elite level after Michigan State. He probably would’ve averaged 8-9 wins here.
Lol so a shade over Holgorsen?

What does Holgorsen have to do with this conversation?
Holgorsen averaged close to 8 wins per season. You think Nick Saban, the actual college GOAT coach does a little over a half win per season better than him? We are averaging 10+ wins per season with Saban easily.

Everyone was shocked when two PAC-10 teams from LA left to join the BIG TEN when it happened. He has said he still wants to coach. He doesn't need the money anymore which means he is can control everything in negotiations any coach would like to control in a prospective hire situation but can't. WVU is in a position to give Fisher everything he would want without having to pay a huge salary for it.
And tell me again why hiring him is so important? He failed moseerably at TAM with huge financial means available to BUY the best platers. He was not on great terms with the FSU folks when he bolted to Texas. And some here see him as messiah. Not awfully logical.

Zero 5 stars.
One 4 star.

Yet Jimbo still couldn't make a winner out of A&M even with the #1 recruiting class.

And tell me again why hiring him is so important? He failed moseerably at TAM with huge financial means available to BUY the best platers. He was not on great terms with the FSU folks when he bolted to Texas. And some here see him as messiah. Not awfully logical.
Same reason people still Stan for RR. Trapped in yesteryear in all facets of their lives so it’s not surprising their football opinions follow the same pattern.

Reactions: WVUBRU
Holgorsen averaged close to 8 wins per season. You think Nick Saban, the actual college GOAT coach does a little over a half win per season better than him? We are averaging 10+ wins per season with Saban easily.
Take out the season in Big East and Dana's avg. Drops to 7.2 - 5.4.

What makes you think Saban would even come here? How would he hire assistant coaches?

Overall, the salary pool for Nick Saban's group of 2023 assistant coaches is at $9.17 million, nearly a $1 million bump from last year's pool. WVU assistant coaches pay is $3.61 million.

Maybe so. Idk. I just know Saban struggled badly at Michigan State. There’s no data to suggest he wouldn’t or would do much better at WVU. Dana got some great wins here and some boneheaded losses due to in game decisions. I just wasn’t a fan of his. I didn’t agree with many of his in game decisions like going for it every 4th down regardless of field position.

Maybe so. Idk. I just know Saban struggled badly at Michigan State. There’s no data to suggest he wouldn’t or would do much better at WVU. Dana got some great wins here and some boneheaded losses due to in game decisions. I just wasn’t a fan of his. I didn’t agree with many of his in game decisions like going for it every 4th down regardless of field position.
Outside of the whole 7 national titles thing, yes absolutely no data to support he is heads and shoulders better than Dana Holgorsen… [roll]

Take out the season in Big East and Dana's avg. Drops to 7.2 - 5.4.

What makes you think Saban would even come here? How would he hire assistant coaches?

Overall, the salary pool for Nick Saban's group of 2023 assistant coaches is at $9.17 million, nearly a $1 million bump from last year's pool. WVU assistant coaches pay is $3.61 million.
I’m not saying he comes here and replicates his success at Bama, but we immediately join OU’s tier in the conference with Saban and his OCD perfectionist mentality gets us over the top atleast once if he is here for 15 years. We might not have Rich Rodriguez as our ball boy like he did at Bama, but we would get competent coaches and elite players for sure. Once the wins pile up and the money flows in, the budget goes up.

Outside of the whole 7 national titles thing, yes absolutely no data to support he is heads and shoulders better than Dana Holgorsen… [roll]
I never said he wasn’t better than Dana. Coaches succeed and fail for unknown reasons at a variety of schools. Why did Rod do well at WVU? Why did he struggle at Michigan? Why did Jimbo dominate at FSU but not TAMU? Again, we don’t know. I don’t know and you don’t know

I never said he wasn’t better than Dana. Coaches succeed and fail for unknown reasons at a variety of schools. Why did Rod do well at WVU? Why did he struggle at Michigan? Why did Jimbo dominate at FSU but not TAMU? Again, we don’t know. I don’t know and you don’t know
Time passes by as well as money piles up and coaches are not the same year over year. Fisher and Rod were once great coaches, now they are not. If Fisher went to CUSA he would also win a bunch of games at any program that would take him simply on his name value and connections to feed him players from HS and the portal to get the cream of the crop “last chance U” types that CUSA programs live on. If Fisher came here he probably doesn’t win big for the same reasons I keep telling you RR wouldn’t, although I would rate Fisher the higher of the two as he hasn’t left big boy football for nearly a decade. It’s why we shouldn’t be afraid to hire another coach with a similar resume to Brown, younger and hungrier is the way to go if you can’t have the sure thing.

I am arguing peak Saban would win us a title, specifically if he was here for the same window he has been at Bama, but while on the topic the current older than dust Saban would still have us immediately competing for the Big XII Championship Game. Once he figured the game out he never looked back and has an OCD obsession with greatness that few have.

Last edited:
I’m not saying he comes here and replicates his success at Bama, but we immediately join OU’s tier in the conference with Saban and his OCD perfectionist mentality gets us over the top atleast once if he is here for 15 years. We might not have Rich Rodriguez as our ball boy like he did at Bama, but we would get competent coaches and elite players for sure. Once the wins pile up and the money flows in, the budget goes up.
You're fantasy world is amazing.

Yet Jimbo still couldn't make a winner out of A&M even with the #1 recruiting class.
Many coaches say that A&M roster is like "an NFL team" in regards to talent and skill. Yet, Jimbo couldn't win? Hmmm........It might have served Jimbo best to allow others call the offensive plays and him be like a Saban.......oversee everything and make the final yes/no on crucial situations.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
too many bad apples..a couple of his 5 stars were booted off for smoking the wildwood weed in the locker room just before kickoff
speaking of brainless idiots..they caught the people who took jewelry and cash from the Colorado and UCLA locker rooms...the culprits were highly touted recruits being hosted by UCLA

Last edited:
  • Haha
Many coaches say that A&M roster is like "an NFL team" in regards to talent and skill. Yet, Jimbo couldn't win? Hmmm........It might have served Jimbo best to allow others call the offensive plays and him be like a Saban.......oversee everything and make the final yes/no on crucial situations.
His OC - Bobby Petrino.

You would think Jimbo would have enough brains to do so.

Seems a lot of titles for assistant coaches are simply a name title only.

In 2021, the entire starting defensive line at Texas A&M signed NFL contracts with DeMarvin Leal being selected in the third round, while Micheal Clemons was tabbed in the fourth round.

Elijah Robinson coached the defensive line and is currently the interim HC.

Time passes by as well as money piles up and coaches are not the same year over year. Fisher and Rod were once great coaches, now they are not. If Fisher went to CUSA he would also win a bunch of games at any program that would take him simply on his name value and connections to feed him players from HS and the portal to get the cream of the crop “last chance U” types that CUSA programs live on. If Fisher came here he probably doesn’t win big for the same reasons I keep telling you RR wouldn’t, although I would rate Fisher the higher of the two as he hasn’t left big boy football for nearly a decade. It’s why we shouldn’t be afraid to hire another coach with a similar resume to Brown, younger and hungrier is the way to go if you can’t have the sure thing.

I am arguing peak Saban would win us a title, specifically if he was here for the same window he has been at Bama, but while on the topic the current older than dust Saban would still have us immediately competing for the Big XII Championship Game. Once he figured the game out he never looked back and has an OCD obsession with greatness that few have.
I would not mind hiring a young and hungrier HC, but there’s no guarantee. We tried it with Neal Brown and it failed. We tried it with both Don Nehlen and Rich Rodriguez and it worked. You just never know. That’s my point. I think we both can agree though, it’s time to replace Neal Brown. I don’t care if he beats both Baylor and Cincinnati. Both are 3-7, so he should beat them. For everyone getting a hard on for possibly finishing 8-4, look at the schedule. Are any of those 8 wins against a P5 school with a winning record (Duquesne isn’t a P5)? We fired Bill Stewart and he won 9 games every year. And the thought was, he didn’t beat anyone either. Has Brown beaten a top 25 team at WVU? I don’t think anyone can honestly say Brown should stay. He’s had 5 years. More than enough time.

Last edited:
You forgot Holgerson and I would put that in the fail column.

I see improvement this year. I recognize the effort and achievement of proving the critics wrong that picked us to be last in the conference.

Saban has admitted it's all about the players. That's why he stuck to coaching blue bloods.

Doesn't matter that he was in the toughest division in the SEC as he was handed more than ample resources to compete at that level. I mean look at how much they are going to be paying him NOT to come to work ($77 mill.). There is simply no excuse for underperforming at a place like that which is why they fired him.

I see improvement this year. I recognize the effort and achievement of proving the critics wrong that picked us to be last in the conference.
2023 WVU Football Schedule with results and record of opponents

Penn State 38. WVU 15 (Loss).
Penn State record 8-2

Duquesne 17. WVU 56 (Win)
Duquesne record 6-4. FCS school

Pitt 6. WVU 17. (Win)
Pitt record 2-8

Texas Tech 13. WVU 20. (Win)
Texas Tech record 5-5

TCU 21. WVU 24. (Win)
TCU record 4-6

Houston 41. WVU 39. (Loss)
Houston record 4-6.

Oklahoma State 48. WVU 34 (Loss)
Oklahoma State record 7-3

UCF 28. WVU 41. (Win)
UCF record 5-5

BYU 7. WVU 37. (Win)
BYU record 5-5

Oklahoma 59. WVU 20. (Loss)
Oklahoma record 8-2

Next up
Cincinnati record 3-7
Baylor record 3-7

Is this really an improvement? Or the benefit of a very weak schedule and being lucky? WVU was able to dodge Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, and Texas.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter that he was in the toughest division in the SEC as he was handed more than ample resources to compete at that level. I mean look at how much they are going to be paying him NOT to come to work ($77 mill.). There is simply no excuse for underperforming at a place like that which is why they fired him.
Honest question, did he really underperform? Look at the last 100+ years of aTm football

2023 WVU Football Schedule with results and record of opponents

Penn State 38. WVU 15 (Loss).
Penn State record 8-2

Duquesne 17. WVU 56 (Win)
Duquesne record 6-4. FCS school

Pitt 6. WVU 17. (Win)
Pitt record 2-8

Texas Tech 13. WVU 20. (Win)
Texas Tech record 5-5

TCU 21. WVU 24. (Win)
TCU record 4-6

Houston 41. WVU 39. (Loss)
Houston record 4-6.

Oklahoma State 48. WVU 34 (Loss)
Oklahoma State record 7-3

UCF 28. WVU 41. (Win)
UCF record 5-5

BYU 7. WVU 37. (Win)
BYU record 5-5

Oklahoma 59. WVU 20. (Loss)
Oklahoma record 8-2

Next up
Cincinnati record 3-7
Baylor record 3-7

Is this really an improvement?
Yes.

I'm not disputing your points except for this one if you don't recognize it. I'm not saying the season is great but I do appreciate winning almost all the games on the schedule we were expected to win to date except for one with a Hail Mary.

Last edited:
You added questions while I was typing. My "yes" is to your question of 'is it an improvement?'

Nobody except RC Slocumb could win there and even he failed miserably in bowls. Something like 2-8 in bowls and lost every major bowl

Yes.

I'm not disputing your points except for this one if you don't recognize it. I'm not saying the season is great but I do appreciate winning almost all the games on the schedule we were expected to win to date except for one with a Hail Mary.
The concern for me is, minus the BYU game, WVU was locked into nail biters with all of them. Not only could they have gone the other way, but we were manhandled by every good team except maybe Oklahoma State. BYU really was the only good game we executed well. However BYU is also in the midst of a complete collapse and lost their last 4 straight games, including losing their starting QB before we played them.

Not enough improvement to know if its because of the weak schedule or is Brown actually getting better. The BYU game looked good but when you look at their body of work its very unimpressive. Your boy is just an average coach. 3 coaches off the top of my head who are better. Holgerson, Fisher and Rich Rod.

The concern for me is, minus the BYU game, WVU was locked into nail biters with all of them. Not only could they have gone the other way, but we were manhandled by every good team except maybe Oklahoma State. BYU really was the only good game we executed well. However BYU is also in the midst of a complete collapse and lost their last 4 straight games, including losing their starting QB before we played them.
There is plenty to be concerned about. Never hinted there isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT