ADVERTISEMENT

I've heard several GOP Prez candidates invoke Reagan when criticizing the Iran deal.....

RichardPeterJohnson

All-American
Dec 7, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA
Rubio said the other day that if he's elected, he'll be like Reagan and not negotiate for hostages....basically Iran would be too scared not to comply and would give them up citing the fact that the 53 US hostages were released after 444 days in captivity on the very day Reagan was inaugurated. To the best of my knowledge, Carter had arranged those hostages to be released but I digress. What about all the hostages that were taken in Lebanon for which Reagan traded arms to Iran for their release. Never mind that Reagan broke the law when he did that as well as broke the law when he gave the proceeds to a group of nun killers in El Salvador. No negotiating by Reagan? really? Do these dumbasses not remember what iran-contra was all about? How many in the Reagan admin went to jail of this? I actually saw Eliot Abrams on Fox yesterday talking about how reagan dealt from a position of strength with iran and wouldn't negotiate. And he was one of Reagan's men who was convicted over Iran contra. Republicans live in an alternate universe apparently where the facts are irrelevant. Amazing the stupidity of these people.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...ald-Reagan-for-GOP-candidates?detail=facebook

Rubio said the other day that if he's elected, he'll be like Reagan and not negotiate for hostages....basically Iran would be too scared not to comply and would give them up citing the fact that the 53 US hostages were released after 444 days in captivity on the very day Reagan was inaugurated. To the best of my knowledge, Carter had arranged those hostages to be released but I digress. What about all the hostages that were taken in Lebanon for which Reagan traded arms to Iran for their release. Never mind that Reagan broke the law when he did that as well as broke the law when he gave the proceeds to a group of nun killers in El Salvador. No negotiating by Reagan? really? Do these dumbasses not remember what iran-contra was all about? How many in the Reagan admin went to jail of this? I actually saw Eliot Abrams on Fox yesterday talking about how reagan dealt from a position of strength with iran and wouldn't negotiate. And he was one of Reagan's men who was convicted over Iran contra. Republicans live in an alternate universe apparently where the facts are irrelevant. Amazing the stupidity of these people.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...ald-Reagan-for-GOP-candidates?detail=facebook
Little discussion about the Iran deal by partisans on either side is done in good faith. It reminds me of the way you discuss the Bible. I personally tend to think a wealthy Iran reconciled with the US makes for a safer Middle East and a safer Israel.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER

It was actually brilliant - he funneled weapons to Saddam to kill Iranians, while funneling weapons to Iran to kill Iraqis - keeping both nations from invading their neighbors and spreading Islamic fundamentalism. On top of that, he took the profits (now I know this worries you libs) to take down a communist government.

It was actually brilliant - he funneled weapons to Saddam to kill Iranians, while funneling weapons to Iran to kill Iraqis - keeping both nations from invading their neighbors and spreading Islamic fundamentalism. On top of that, he took the profits (now I know this worries you libs) to take down a communist government.
Wait a minute. Ronnie didn't know anything about that!
1401x788-51506774.jpg

Well, he broke the law in doing it. But that really isn't the issue, is it? These GOP candidates apparently live in a world where Reagan was so tough, smart and respected that he would never negotiate with Iran for hostages despite the fact that Reagan negotiated with Iran for hostages. [roll]:flush:

And cake! Don't forget the cake he sent the Ayatollah! :cool2: And what's a little thing like ignoring Congress? Oh wait ...

Well, he broke the law in doing it. But that really isn't the issue, is it? These GOP candidates apparently live in a world where Reagan was so tough, smart and respected that he would never negotiate with Iran for hostages despite the fact that Reagan negotiated with Iran for hostages. [roll]:flush:

He got a lot more out it than Obama did...

He got a lot more out it than Obama did...
Yeah, about 15 indictments and 7 or 8 convictions for everything from conspiracy , obstruction, lying, to destroying documents. But the fact still remains, for these gop candidates to invoke reagan for not negotiating with Iran shows how facts no longer matter to the average GOP voter. Just tell em what they want to believe.

Yeah, about 15 indictments and 7 or 8 convictions for everything from conspiracy , obstruction, lying, to destroying documents. But the fact still remains, for these gop candidates to invoke reagan for not negotiating with Iran shows how facts no longer matter to the average GOP voter. Just tell em what they want to believe.

Almost all convictions were vacated. Regan said he could live with trading arms for hostages but not for being known as someone who passed up a chance to free Americans. Unlike Obama, who let Americans languish in prison while negotiating with Iran, Reagan did try and do something. Not his finest hour but not the worst. Every Admin does things that are not on the up and up.Those prisoners just released, should have been part of the nuclear deal and not had to wait till now. Carter probably did negotiate their release, my info is he told them better deal with carter because Reagan was a cowboy and might attack them. The fear of what Reagan might have done was what got them released, not what sweater president did.

Almost all convictions were vacated. Regan said he could live with trading arms for hostages but not for being known as someone who passed up a chance to free Americans. Unlike Obama, who let Americans languish in prison while negotiating with Iran, Reagan did try and do something. Not his finest hour but not the worst. Every Admin does things that are not on the up and up.Those prisoners just released, should have been part of the nuclear deal and not had to wait till now. Carter probably did negotiate their release, my info is he told them better deal with carter because Reagan was a cowboy and might attack them. The fear of what Reagan might have done was what got them released, not what sweater president did.
Oh give me a break. You started off with an out and out lie. After Bush 41 lost to Clinton, he pardoned all 6 of those administration officials who were convicted including Caspar weinerger, Eliot abrams, and robert mcFarlane. There was no 'vacating" of their convictions. He did this before he left office. And some of those hostages Reagan negotiated with iran over had been held for years. terry Anderson, who was one of the hostages Reagan negotiated for was kidnapped in 1985 and wasn't even released until 91. Most of the hostages RR dealt for weren't even released. Nice negotiations. So he did everything he did 9ie negotiating with terrorists) and still got nothing except 15 of his admin members indicted. This is amazing that you people pointb the finger at Obama about this Iran deal and act like RR was in the right in doing what he did. PS Obama didn't break any laws either. Geez

Oh give me a break. You started off with an out and out lie. After Bush 41 lost to Clinton, he pardoned all 6 of those administration officials who were convicted including Caspar weinerger, Eliot abrams, and robert mcFarlane. There was no 'vacating" of their convictions. He did this before he left office. And some of those hostages Reagan negotiated with iran over had been held for years. terry Anderson, who was one of the hostages Reagan negotiated for was kidnapped in 1985 and wasn't even released until 91. Most of the hostages RR dealt for weren't even released. Nice negotiations. So he did everything he did 9ie negotiating with terrorists) and still got nothing except 15 of his admin members indicted. This is amazing that you people pointb the finger at Obama about this Iran deal and act like RR was in the right in doing what he did. PS Obama didn't break any laws either. Geez

Go back and check, a lot of the convictions were vacated and you are right, Bush did pardon the rest. Obama didn't break any laws, you are right, he has been a strick avoider of laws. He choses not to enforce laws. You don't like Reagan, I don't like Obama. We still have golf!

I still need to cancel this damn acct and get my other back on this computer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT