ADVERTISEMENT

It didn't get on the NEWS

1oleWVUfan

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2012
A Dollar General Semi going to Roanoke, VA ended up in a ditch going up Short Pole Hollow, in McDowell County, WV.

My cousins wife posted the photos on Facebook.

There are no Interstates and only moderate lane roads near Short Pole and the road going up the hollow is a one lane dirt road. This driver had to know he was off course well before he got there. I know for I spent many a summer in Short Pole.

Here is the link with the photos of the semi: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=976974542320326&set=pcb.976974995653614&type=1&theater

The short pole reference should get some traction.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 1oleWVUfan:
A Dollar General Semi going to Roanoke, VA ended up in a ditch going up Short Pole Hollow, in McDowell County, WV.

My cousins wife posted the photos on Facebook.

There are no Interstates and only moderate lane roads near Short Pole and the road going up the hollow is a one lane dirt road. This driver had to know he was off course well before he got there. I know for I spent many a summer in Short Pole.
I was more closely aligned with long pole. I lived near Sandy Huff, right near the Iaeger Drive In.

Huh? A truck goes in a ditch and we care why? Lol!

I find it funny for if you know where Short Pole Hollow, WV is and where Roanoke, VA is, they aren't close. Interstate 81 will take you to Roanoke, VA and there isn't an Interstate within 50-miles of Short Poll Hollow, WV.

BTW - would you have been the driver of the semi?

Originally posted by 1oleWVUfan:
Huh? A truck goes in a ditch and we care why? Lol!

I find it funny for if you know where Short Pole Hollow, WV is and where Roanoke, VA is, they aren't close. Interstate 81 will take you to Roanoke, VA and there isn't an Interstate within 50-miles of Short Poll Hollow, WV.

BTW - would you have been the driver of the semi?
There's a Dollar General right near my mom on US 52. Isn't short pole towards Panther?

There is a Short Pole

Long Pole, I am familiar with. Never heard of Short Pole.

A little research locates Short Pole Hollow on McDowell County side of Isaban Mountain. Kids on that side would go to Iaeger High. On the Mingo County side of the mountain, they go to Gilbert my alma mater - now consolidated to Mingo Central High. I think McDowell consolidated those schools to form Riverview or something River.
This post was edited on 3/1 10:01 PM by mneilmont

Look Short Pole Hollow, WV up. I got a tape or video of the place. Older man and woman making the video. Their brogue is the actual way they speak and they are driving on roads very familiar to those from the area. Great people and the possibility they make shine or know someone who does is about 100%.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT