ADVERTISEMENT

Is Noel Devine the last really good WVU running back

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
Or am i missing someone?

I mean we’ve had some good ones….but…i really don’t remember a game changer like Devine was….

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Well Donaldson & Jahiem White are dang interesting candidates, as a Tandem.

Reactions: locustwv
I wouldn't say that he was even a game changer. He was shifty as all get out but not really all that difficult to get down once you got a hold of him (don't remember him breaking arm tackles) and really wasn't a burner (like Tavon). A very solid back though...

I think you have to go back farther. One could say Slaton I guess but he had the benefit of Pat and Owen as running mates. I feel you'd have to go back to either Avon or Amos. Those two you had to game plan around.

I wouldn't say that he was even a game changer. He was shifty as all get out but not really all that difficult to get down once you got a hold of him (don't remember him breaking arm tackles) and really wasn't a burner (like Tavon). A very solid back though...

I think you have to go back farther. One could say Slaton I guess but he had the benefit of Pat and Owen as running mates. I feel you'd have to go back to either Avon or Amos. Those two you had to game plan around.
As we attempt to compare West Virginia RBs, over a unique time sequence.

Adrian Murrell was an interesting RB & interesting wvu memory.

But back to the original comparison -
Jahiem White checks all the boxes.

I like him too but just think its a little too early for that yet. Haven't really seen how good he is against really "quality" competition yet, how good he is catching the ball, how good he is in pass pro. Definitely a high ceiling though.
As we attempt to compare West Virginia RBs, over a unique time sequence.

Adrian Murrell was an interesting RB & interesting wvu memory.

But back to the original comparison -
Jahiem White checks all the bo

Smallwood was a pretty good back. Devine better imo.

Charles Sims was very good back for 1 year on a really bad team.

Smallwood might be the most underrated RB in WVU history. Did a little bit of everything, but never stood out on anything. Ended up in the NFL though. So it was noticed by someone.

Slaton was best RB in WVU history (my opinion).
Holgerson should have played Smallwood more as a freshman.

Smallwood was a 3 year player anyway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT