ADVERTISEMENT

Is Missouri the new Boston College?

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
I noticed that Missouri was picked dead last by the media in the SEC pre-season basketball poll. Has any program that moved to a new conference fallen as far and as quickly as they have since BC?

Pretty similar comparison if I remember right. BC competed in the ACC right out of the gate as well. Missouri won the SEC east 2 times with some big wins. That program is not in good shape at all.

That said, how about Rutgers move to the BIG 10. We can say what we want but it seems pretty apparent that what most of the other conferences were saying was true. When you have to play tougher competition week in week out it's much tougher. I know there are arguments on both sides but this seems to be true for now. I would have thought Rutgers would have gotten a recruiting bump by now.

Pretty similar comparison if I remember right. BC competed in the ACC right out of the gate as well. Missouri won the SEC east 2 times with some big wins. That program is not in good shape at all.

That said, how about Rutgers move to the BIG 10. We can say what we want but it seems pretty apparent that what most of the other conferences were saying was true. When you have to play tougher competition week in week out it's much tougher. I know there are arguments on both sides but this seems to be true for now. I would have thought Rutgers would have gotten a recruiting bump by now.
The northeast just doesn't care as much about college athletics. BC has been on an island by itself until Syracuse joined, which is still a good distance away. I just don't think their programs generate a ton of excitement. Whether that is travel or simply apathy to college athletics remains to be seen.

Missouri is much closer to its conference mates (although I think they should still be in the SEC West and Auburn in the East...or they should've added us). We also haven't had enough of a sample size to compare them to BC. Yes they've dropped like a rock the past couple years after inexplicably running the SEC East twice. Give them another couple years of mediocrity or futility before they can be BC.

Vernon,

How has BC fallen? From a football point of view, They had a losing conference record in the Big East or barely 0.500 and they are about as bad in the ACC playing the same schools.

Basketbal idk cause I watch WVU in basketball like 2 weeks a year & don't follo anyone we're not playing.

As for Missouri, they've had great success (minus 2015 & 2016) in football with I think 2 SEC LEAST Division titles. Then again BC did get one ACC title game appearance.

After careful reconsideration I must say yeah Missouri is becoming the new BC except theyre not going to fall that far given Vandy and Kentucky are there.

We would have suffered in the SEC like we did the the B12, but I think geographically and culturally we would have been a much better fit there than Misery has been.

I think we would have bounced back there in a similar time frame to what we are doing here.

Vernon,

How has BC fallen? From a football point of view, They had a losing conference record in the Big East or barely 0.500 and they are about as bad in the ACC playing the same schools.

Basketbal idk cause I watch WVU in basketball like 2 weeks a year & don't follo anyone we're not playing.

As for Missouri, they've had great success (minus 2015 & 2016) in football with I think 2 SEC LEAST Division titles. Then again BC did get one ACC title game appearance.

After careful reconsideration I must say yeah Missouri is becoming the new BC except theyre not going to fall that far given Vandy and Kentucky are there.

They will likely be the SEC's Iowa State. Happy to be in a conference that matters. Pulling of an upset every few years. Never sniff a CCG win. Ever.

BC didn't win a conference game last year in football or basketball. Lowest of the low. Way worse than they ever were in the Big East.

Our move to the Big 10 coincided with the idiotic decision to hire Kyle Flood permanently when Schiano left (although the decision was between him, Cristobal and Addazio). He drove recruiting into the ground and pretty much deteriorated the relationships with the Catholic high schools in Northern NJ (Bosco, Bergen Catholic, two powerhouses). We also had kids leaving the program in droves again (just like in the last years of the Doug Graber regime in the mid 90s). So we are recruiting bad talent and have gaping holes everywhere.

We happened to catch Michigan in a down year in 2014. We should have beaten State Penn as well. The class that Flood was hired to save should have been seniors either last year or this year, so we can see how well that strategy worked out.

Yes the competition is much tougher, but if we were still in the American and had Flood as head coach, we'd be getting blown out by Temple, Houston and Navy instead of Michigan and Ohio State.

Ash's class this year will tell the story.

Reactions: GoWVU
We would have suffered in the SEC like we did the the B12, but I think geographically and culturally we would have been a much better fit there than Misery has been.

I think we would have bounced back there in a similar time frame to what we are doing here.

Missouri has a population of more than 3x's that of WV. And that probably means more than 3X's the number of TVs too.

Missouri has a population of more than 3x's that of WV. And that probably means more than 3X's the number of TVs too.

Which sadly was all the SEC was interested in at that time. Hopefully they have learned from that mistake.

Let's not diminish the fact that Missouri was pleading for a B1G invite and settled for the SEC. Just imagine if the B1G invited Missouri now...

Our move to the Big 10 coincided with the idiotic decision to hire Kyle Flood permanently when Schiano left (although the decision was between him, Cristobal and Addazio). He drove recruiting into the ground and pretty much deteriorated the relationships with the Catholic high schools in Northern NJ (Bosco, Bergen Catholic, two powerhouses). We also had kids leaving the program in droves again (just like in the last years of the Doug Graber regime in the mid 90s). So we are recruiting bad talent and have gaping holes everywhere.

We happened to catch Michigan in a down year in 2014. We should have beaten State Penn as well. The class that Flood was hired to save should have been seniors either last year or this year, so we can see how well that strategy worked out.

Yes the competition is much tougher, but if we were still in the American and had Flood as head coach, we'd be getting blown out by Temple, Houston and Navy instead of Michigan and Ohio State.

Ash's class this year will tell the story.
Cristobal would have probably been a solid hire for you guys. It's inexplicable how he got canned like he did, unless I missed a very juicy story.

Rutgers has typically been a decent QB from being a very good squad in recent years. Hope you guys get back there and not back to the futility that marred your Big Least years.

Reactions: megadrone
It would be interesting to see BC's football and basketball budget when compared to the high flying ACC members. You know, when compared to Clemson, Florida State and the like. You just may find the answer to the puzzle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT