ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State announces contract extension for Matt Campbell

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
In a press release Tuesday morning, Iowa State announced that it has reached an agreement on a contract extension with Campbell. The head coach is now signed through the 2025 season.

“I greatly appreciate Dr. (Wendy) Wintersteen’s and (Iowa State AD) Jamie‘s (Pollard) proactive approach to extending my contract,” Campbell said in a statement. “My staff and I will be on the road this week actively recruiting the next class of Cyclones and it is important for recruits and their families to understand my commitment to Iowa State.”

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...nounces-contract-extension-for-matt-campbell/

Matt Campbell at ISU. A career .500 coach. 26-24 (18-18). Extension or not he will be leaving in the next couple years if the right team comes calling.

If Neal Brown is in the same position WVU should do the same thing.

Pay the coach. Shows dedication in demanding a football program.

Just because you get a raise and extension doesn't mean you stay. It's why coaches have agents and lawyers.

It is leverage.
I actually think Iowa St had the advantage

The 4 possible jobs openings sucked
USC
Florida St
Arkansas
Ole Miss

Campbell was on the shortlist for 3 of the 4.

USC and Florida State have financial issues. Especially USC.
But both have outrageous expectations.

Matt Campbell would have taken 3 years to fix both. But you don't lose at either school no matter the circumstances. .

The chance of him leaving was small but it was enough.
Two of the five are considered Top 10 jobs even with the warts.

The jobs he could leave for he probably won't be a candidate for so Iowa State is in a perfect position unless of course he wins 10+ games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT