ADVERTISEMENT

Injury update on Crawford, McKoy and Shell?

None

My guess:

Shell: out until bowl game

Crawford: ditto. He's was running on a bum ankle since the Texas Tech game. It just finally gave out from lack of rest.

McKoy: if his clavicle is the source...done until next year. If he is simply re-injuring the same shoulder that's been a mess since the Texas Tech game...out until the bowl game

So hopefully we get to keep Petteway healthy for his second college game ever who is likely getting another 30+ carries without a break.

I'll say again...the management of Petteway's issue directly resulted in the issues with Crawford (without question) and potentially McKoy (if it's just his shoulder instead of a fractured clavicle). They both were forced to take carries when they obviously were far less than 100%...which is a great way to get injured....which they did.

None

My guess:

Crawford: ditto. He's was running on a bum ankle since the Texas Tech game. It just finally gave out from lack of rest.

McKoy: if his clavicle is the source...done until next year. If he is simply re-injuring the same shoulder that's been a mess since the Texas Tech game...out until the bowl game

So hopefully we get to keep Petteway healthy for his second college game ever who is likely getting another 30+ carries without a break.

I'll say again...the management of Petteway's issue directly resulted in the issues with Crawford (without question) and potentially McKoy (if it's just his shoulder instead of a fractured clavicle). They both were forced to take carries when they obviously were far less than 100%...which is a great way to get injured....which they did.

I agree, Pettaway's redshirt should have been burned as soon as two backs were playing injured instead of when all three were out with an injury. No one had time to heal. Wellman is there, but he runs like the great blocker he is. Straight into the defender.

If McKoy was/is that hurt, and is the clavicle, then what the hell was he doing in the game last week for that TD run early in the game????

Reactions: lenny4wvu
If McKoy was/is that hurt, and is the clavicle, then what the hell was he doing in the game last week for that TD run early in the game????

Trying to play through the pain, like Crawford. Kyzir White may be able to play tomorrow with a proper support on his hand due to his position, but a running back has to have healthy wheels and torso or he's only prolonging his injury and playing so-so.

None

My guess:

Obviously, another reason to fire Dana. This season has been a total disaster. Just gets worse and worse ever season he's here ... for the Dana haters.

Obviously, another reason to fire Dana. This season has been a total disaster. Just gets worse and worse ever season he's here ... for the Dana haters.
No reason for even them to be absurd. Hindsight is always 20/20. Coach should have let Pettaway go in when Seider wanted to, that's all.

Players lie about how bad they are hurting because they think they can block it out. Nearly all coaches say if you don't practice you don't play, but we know that's not always true when he is needed. Except for Coach Huggins. He pretty much sticks to it.

No reason for even them to be absurd. Hindsight is always 20/20. Coach should have let Pettaway go in when Seider wanted to, that's all.

Pretty sure the team had someone with a medical degree weighing-in and the players themselves. I'm not sure why so many posters need some conflict or error in decision when things do not turn out perfectly. If anything, more posters were calling to save Pettaway's redshirt this season. Clearly, it would be nice if Texas Tech looked into softening that hard track field they play on. It would be interesting to know how many other visiting team players were injured there or even, how many Tt players were hurt in home games.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the team had someone with a medical degree weighing-in and the players themselves. I'm not sure why so many posters need some conflict or error in decision when things do not turn out perfectly. If anything, more posters were calling to save Pettaway's redshirt this season. Clearly, it would be nice if Texas Tech looked into softening that hard track field they play on and would be interesting to know how many other schools left games there with injured players.

You took that wrong. I wasn't 'blaming' anyone and Texas Tech keeps that green painted asphalt they call a football field at the urging of the head football coach. Their own players are aware of it and adjust to it. Coach Kingsbury reportedly believes it makes the field faster.

Medical imaging of any kind cannot detect soft tissue injuries unless there is a tear. A strain or bruise will not show up and feedback from the patient is usually the determining factor when movement is not physically limited.

Players want to play, and will oftentimes downplay the severity of pain to maintain their pecking order in playing time. With McKoy and Crawford, the coaches had to see them in action to determine their true fitness to meet the demands of their position. That was also true with Shell until he realized he might be jeopardizing his career by playing injured.

My opinion that Pettaway's redshirt should have been burned sooner is totally in retrospect and in concurrence with the coaches themselves. Coach Seider will admit freely that he almost put him in sooner but hesitated. Looking back he will also admit he should have gone with his urge to let him play. It did not cost them a game, it only extended the healing process creating a potential problem with depth at that position against Baylor. They will deal with it.

Good season =/= without fault

I'm simply saying that he is obviously still learning on the job because this was a massive screw up.
The less intelligent fans (there are dozens on here) that are so incapable of critical thinking or independent thought feel that you are either "all in" or a "hater." To that person, anything anyone says about Dana is either in your cheering section or they want Dana fired. That's it.

Folks with perspective (rapidly vanishing numbers here and frankly everywhere else) can criticize certain actions without losing the larger picture that Dana has become a good coach. Not great....but good.

I can only hope he learned from this experience and hopefully doesn't double down on the dumbness and play the other guys. If we need to put Shell, Crawford or even McKoy out there to beat Baylor right now at home then that says our team wasn't ready to play. To be honest...our bowl spot is very likely already set regardless of this outcome. Why risk next season?

Pretty sure the team had someone with a medical degree weighing-in and the players themselves. I'm not sure why so many posters need some conflict or error in decision when things do not turn out perfectly. If anything, more posters were calling to save Pettaway's redshirt this season. Clearly, it would be nice if Texas Tech looked into softening that hard track field they play on and would be interesting to know how many other schools left games there with injured players.

The medical folks can give an opinion. Dana decides what to do with that opinion unless the player falls into some pre-existing protocol like we have for concussions. In that case, Dana has no say in the matter. These decisions with the RBs officially are more gray than B&W, but watching Shell after 1 carry at Texas was pretty indicative of where he was medically.

That being said, the Big 12 needs to step in on the Texas Tech issue. Hopefully that gets done before we play on that slab of cement in 2018.

You took that wrong. I wasn't 'blaming' anyone and Texas Tech keeps that green painted asphalt they call a football field at the urging of the head football coach. Their own players are aware of it and adjust to it. Coach Kingsbury reportedly believes it makes the field faster.

Medical imaging of any kind cannot detect soft tissue injuries unless there is a tear. A strain or bruise will not show up and feedback from the patient is usually the determining factor when movement is not physically limited.

Players want to play, and will oftentimes downplay the severity of pain to maintain their pecking order in playing time. With McKoy and Crawford, the coaches had to see them in action to determine their true fitness to meet the demands of their position. That was also true with Shell until he realized he might be jeopardizing his career by playing injured.

My opinion that Pettaway's redshirt should have been burned sooner is totally in retrospect and in concurrence with the coaches themselves. Coach Seider will admit freely that he almost put him in sooner but hesitated. Looking back he will also admit he should have gone with his urge to let him play. It did not cost them a game, it only extended the healing process creating a potential problem with depth at that position against Baylor. They will deal with it.

Wouldn't that same hard field make it faster for both teams? Just thinking.

Wouldn't that same hard field make it faster for both teams? Just thinking.

I guess he thinks his team has more speed than most. Shelton Gibson and company reminded him that it is indeed a double edged sword. I agree the Big 12 should pressure or even force TTU to install an acceptable playing surface.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT