ADVERTISEMENT

In case you're wondering about the top recruiting classes and conference classes

It did help Nebraska.
We cannot get recruiting classes prior to 2001 but Nebraska under the Big XII brought in a Top 10 class that included Suh and 5 star RB Marlon Lucky.

Most of this class made up their 2009 team.

Problem for Nebraska was that they were too late to the party.

I can go on an on why Nebraska did not compete in the Big XII.
The best years of the Big XII were from 2006-2010.
Top to bottom.

Only team that was really hurt by the Big XII was CU.
The Big 8 survived off of California recruits especially Colorado.
Once these recruits started going other places in the late 90’s CU looked towards Texas
Colorado did well in Texas but Texas recruiting is a Gator pit.

Nebraska recruited Texas well but they never did get Top 15 players out of Texas like Oklahoma could.

What hurt Nebraska more than anything was that programs like Kansas St and Missouri grew.
Missouri took a little while longer because Larry Smith with his USC connections attempted to recruit California.

The Oklahoma schools were and still are the only former Big 8 schools to be able to recruit the top Texas players.

The biggest issue for Nebraska was their athletic spending in the early 2000’s

You again say completely contradictory things.

Nebraska brought in Top 10 recruiting classes when they were in the Big 8. They won two freaking National Championships before the Big 12 was formed.

Nebraska's 2009 team was 10-4. Not exactly dominant. In fact, that would be the only year that class won 10 games. Not anywhere near as successful as they were before. Again, your claim is that Oklahoma, Kansas St., Oklahoma St, etc. all improved by being in the Big 12. Nebraska should have as well, if your theory is correct.

You then turned around said the Oklahoma schools were the only Big 8 schools that can recruit Texas. Ok, so then how does the Big 12 help Kansas St, and Missouri? If they can't recruit Texas, then the Big 12 does nothing for them.

You also still haven't demonstrated how the SWC was "100x" better than the Big 8.

You again say completely contradictory things.

Nebraska brought in Top 10 recruiting classes when they were in the Big 8. They won two freaking National Championships before the Big 12 was formed.

Nebraska's 2009 team was 10-4. Not exactly dominant. In fact, that would be the only year that class won 10 games. Not anywhere near as successful as they were before. Again, your claim is that Oklahoma, Kansas St., Oklahoma St, etc. all improved by being in the Big 12. Nebraska should have as well, if your theory is correct.

You then turned around said the Oklahoma schools were the only Big 8 schools that can recruit Texas. Ok, so then how does the Big 12 help Kansas St, and Missouri? If they can't recruit Texas, then the Big 12 does nothing for them.

You also still haven't demonstrated how the SWC was "100x" better than the Big 8.

There was no such thing as national recruiting services until the late 90’s and early 2000’s

Like I said no one can tell if Nebraska ever had top tier talent ever.

When Nebraska stepped onto the field against an average Texas team in 1996.
Texas outclassed then in every way.
Texas made the mistake in hiring Mack Brown in 98 but UT and their boosters knew as soon as they played Nebraska that Nebraska was going to be destroyed.
Reason why Texas sabotaged thier football program in 97 to get rid of John Mackovic.

If the Big XII was around in the 1920’s and the SWC/Big 6 merged then Nebraska would have never had a football program.

Only true challenge to Nebraska was Missouri.
Nebraska owned Missouri and their recruits.

Reason why a state that produces adaquate amount of talent has never had a great football program every year.

There was no such thing as national recruiting services until the late 90’s and early 2000’s

Like I said no one can tell if Nebraska ever had top tier talent ever.

When Nebraska stepped onto the field against an average Texas team in 1996.
Texas outclassed then in every way.
Texas made the mistake in hiring Mack Brown in 98 but UT and their boosters knew as soon as they played Nebraska that Nebraska was going to be destroyed.
Reason why Texas sabotaged thier football program in 97 to get rid of John Mackovic.

If the Big XII was around in the 1920’s and the SWC/Big 6 merged then Nebraska would have never had a football program.

Only true challenge to Nebraska was Missouri.
Nebraska owned Missouri and their recruits.

Reason why a state that produces adaquate amount of talent has never had a great football program every year.

Yes, there were recruiting services before then. They just didn't have websites, so you can't look up a list like you can with rivals. They just published magazines instead.

Again, if the Big 12 was so beneficial to Oklahoma, Kansas St. Oklahoma St., and Missouri, then it should have been beneficial to Nebraska also. You can't have it both ways. You can't say all these other schools got better because of the conference, but not Nebraska.

If the SWC was as good as you say, then A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. wouldn't all be mediocre for basically 50+ years.

Yes, there were recruiting services before then. They just didn't have websites, so you can't look up a list like you can with rivals. They just published magazines instead.

Again, if the Big 12 was so beneficial to Oklahoma, Kansas St. Oklahoma St., and Missouri, then it should have been beneficial to Nebraska also. You can't have it both ways. You can't say all these other schools got better because of the conference, but not Nebraska.

If the SWC was as good as you say, then A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. wouldn't all be mediocre for basically 50+ years.

Recruiting magazines did not have widespread internet video of players so these rankings were based on how someone felt with limited knowledge of a player.

Nebraska like what was said earlier admitted the obvious way too late.
Most of their fanbase still holds onto their belief that they are a giant in CFB.

Truthfully I think if the CFP existed since the 1930’s Nebraska would have zero NC.

I believe with the CFP the cream would rise to the top.

I think these four programs will have periods of long term success much like Alabama has had

Texas
Ohio State
Alabama
USC

Georgia could be a possibility as well along with the Florida schools.

Nebraska will not win another NC.
There is no way playing Ohio St and Penn St.

Recruiting magazines did not have widespread internet video of players so these rankings were based on how someone felt with limited knowledge of a player.

Nebraska like what was said earlier admitted the obvious way too late.
Most of their fanbase still holds onto their belief that they are a giant in CFB.

Truthfully I think if the CFP existed since the 1930’s Nebraska would have zero NC.

I believe with the CFP the cream would rise to the top.

I think these four programs will have periods of long term success much like Alabama has had

Texas
Ohio State
Alabama
USC

Georgia could be a possibility as well along with the Florida schools.

Nebraska will not win another NC.
There is no way playing Ohio St and Penn St.

Back then, recruiting magazines like Super Prep had sizable staffs which scouted players in person.

Your assertion that Nebraska would have zero national titles with a playoff is laughable. First of all, that argument could be used against any school, since most of the time, the top teams didn't play each other in bowl games. If you're going to make the argument about Texas beating Nebraska in 1996, well frankly Texas wouldn't have made the CFP back in the 90s to begin with. To be even more frank, Texas is having a hell of a time making the CFP now, much less back then. And to be still even more frank, Texas is having a hell of a time just making a bowl game, let alone the CFP.

None, and I mean none, zero, of your argument is based on fact. The truth is, you just want to come on here and brag about Texas. Worry about Texas having a winning season right now. That seems to be a difficult thing for Texas to do these days.

Yeah, facts clearly aren't your thing.

Alabama's average rating (of individual recruits), is higher than Texas, Penn St., Miami, Oklahoma, Florida St, Notre Dame, and Auburn, all of whom were ranked ahead of Alabama yesterday.

Also note that today, after the signings have all been finalized, Alabama is ranked #7. But don't let facts get in the way of your story.

If you take Texas’ Top 19 players it would be higher than Alabama.
Alabama offered more scholarships than Texas to sign 19 players.
Texas had the highest percentage of offers to players who signed in the country.
That was with 27 recruits.

But Texas signed 8 other players who have the potential to be as good as the rest.

From what I have heard and seen Texas coaches believe they could have 15 draft picks from this class.

Especially with the 8? Recruits who will be receiving a red shirt next year.

Last edited:
Back then, recruiting magazines like Super Prep had sizable staffs which scouted players in person.

Your assertion that Nebraska would have zero national titles with a playoff is laughable. First of all, that argument could be used against any school, since most of the time, the top teams didn't play each other in bowl games. If you're going to make the argument about Texas beating Nebraska in 1996, well frankly Texas wouldn't have made the CFP back in the 90s to begin with. To be even more frank, Texas is having a hell of a time making the CFP now, much less back then. And to be still even more frank, Texas is having a hell of a time just making a bowl game, let alone the CFP.

None, and I mean none, zero, of your argument is based on fact. The truth is, you just want to come on here and brag about Texas. Worry about Texas having a winning season right now. That seems to be a difficult thing for Texas to do these days.

I have been watching CFB for 50 years and most of my current Beliefs have held true.

The issue for Texas was that between 1980-2002 the Florida population doubled but for the most part new schools were not added.

USF and UCF started around 96 I believe so by 99 Florida St’s 2nd NC those schools started making a dent

I believe FAU and FIU came around in 2005.

Very few schools compete in this era for this reason.

Trust and believe Texas is one school besides USC right now that you do not want their program on a national level.

USC is a lot closer to that level than Texas.

The Florida schools used to be on this level.

Bama has upstaged them all.
Reason why.

CFP and the late BCS.
Bama shouldn’t have been in the 2011 Championship game.
ESPn put them there.
If that was 2008 and before Alabama wouldn’t have been there.

What if ESPN put Texas in the 08 game instead of OU.
Texas would most likely beaten that Florida team.
OU had issues because they didn’t have DeMarco Murray.
Reason many believe the newly ESPN backed SEC was and allowed them to play Oklahoma.

The CFP has fixed a lot of these issues.

What Saban is doing is great but the CFP is one of the main reasons why.

Put Pete Carroll’s USC teams in the CFP from 02-08.

Texas was the only school that could beat SC.

Many believe that was a Texas team not at full strength.

Nebraska?
You are kidding me.
There is no way they can compete in this current format.

This thread can get really good if we keep bumping and antagonizing. I want more proof that Greg and Colorado are one in the same. I know they like each others posts like tweens on facebook.
Maybe your next post should be your 1st intelligent one. 6503 posts and 41 likes. That's as bad as it gets.

If you take Texas’ Top 19 players it would be higher than Alabama.
Alabama offered more scholarships than Texas to sign 19 players.
Texas had the highest percentage of offers to players who signed in the country.
That was with 27 recruits.

But Texas signed 8 other players who have the potential to be as good as the rest.

From what I have heard and seen Texas coaches believe they could have 15 draft picks from this class.

Especially with the 8? Recruits who will be receiving a red shirt next year.
we don’t care. In case you missed it, this is a WVU message board. Go back to your Texas board.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT