ADVERTISEMENT

I'm seeing a lot of 8-4 predictions for WVU this fall

"Fraud is in worse shape in Tucson than Dana is here."

Hmnn. Let's look at the record.

It’s fair to say that comparing records by Power 5 conference coaches from different teams and conferences is fair.

So let’s take a look:

RICH AT ARIZONA DANA AT WVU

8-5 in 2012 4-5 4th in Pac-12 South 7-6 4-5 4-way tie for 5th
(only Kansas and Iowa State did worse at 3-6 and 0-9)

8-5 in 2013 4-5 4th in Pac-12 South 4-8 2-7 3-way tie for 7th
(only Kansas did worse at 1-8)

10-4 in 2014 7-2 won Pac-12 South 7-6 5-4 3-way tie for 4th

7-6 in 2015 3-6 5th in Pac-12 South 8-5 4-5 3-way tie for 5th

33-20 overall, 17-18 in Pac-12 South 26-25 overall, 15-21 in Big 12

Point out exactly where Rich did worse in Tucson than Dana did in Morgantown? Which category? I'm curious. Hate if you must, but facts are facts. Rich has a better record at Arizona, where he won the Pac-12 South one season, than Dana at WVU, where he never finished higher than a tie for 4th place.
This is a good one:
http://www.ncaa.com/ncaa-football-nfl

and by what progressive, wide eyed stretch of the imagination does the number of nfl players by school got to do with why DH is remotely in better shape that RR?

and by what progressive, wide eyed stretch of the imagination does the number of nfl players by school got to do with why DH is remotely in better shape that RR?
Hmmm, okay, the top of the list are the top programs, they recruit and develop talent. What are you missing here?

then by your logic, and the number of WVU players that went to the NFL after the last season, DH should be doing better than having a losing conference record. lol

Reactions: WVUDisciples
"Fraud is in worse shape in Tucson than Dana is here."

Hmnn. Let's look at the record.

It’s fair to say that comparing records by Power 5 conference coaches from different teams and conferences is fair.

So let’s take a look:

RICH AT ARIZONA DANA AT WVU

8-5 in 2012 4-5 4th in Pac-12 South 7-6 4-5 4-way tie for 5th
(only Kansas and Iowa State did worse at 3-6 and 0-9)

8-5 in 2013 4-5 4th in Pac-12 South 4-8 2-7 3-way tie for 7th
(only Kansas did worse at 1-8)

10-4 in 2014 7-2 won Pac-12 South 7-6 5-4 3-way tie for 4th

7-6 in 2015 3-6 5th in Pac-12 South 8-5 4-5 3-way tie for 5th

33-20 overall, 17-18 in Pac-12 South 26-25 overall, 15-21 in Big 12

Point out exactly where Rich did worse in Tucson than Dana did in Morgantown? Which category? I'm curious. Hate if you must, but facts are facts. Rich has a better record at Arizona, where he won the Pac-12 South one season, than Dana at WVU, where he never finished higher than a tie for 4th place.
Fraud lost to Boisie State in the Fiesta Bowl vs Dana hanging 70 on Clemson in the Orange Bowl

Fraud was sent packing at Meatchicken after taking off like a snake on a plane from Morgantown. At least Rita can work on her tan in Tucson.

Reactions: bkemmere
Great point, I didn't realize you were employing logic in your process until just now...Run with that.

To say That RR is in worse shape than DH is a bit of a stretch. DH had his high water mark his 1st season playing in the big East. RR's high water mark came in year 3 playing a Pac 12 schedule. RR was offered an Sec job at the end of last season. DH failed to get an extension. RR's job at Arizona is safe at least for the immediate future which is more than DH can say at the moment. Im sure most coaches would rather be the guy facing the least heat and at the Moment that is RR.

Reactions: GoWVU
Fraud lost to Boisie State in the Fiesta Bowl vs Dana hanging 70 on Clemson in the Orange Bowl

Fraud was sent packing at Meatchicken after taking off like a snake on a plane from Morgantown. At least Rita can work on her tan in Tucson.

I think a better question to ask is who is getting job offers like the South Carolina job? Who is failing to get contract extensions?

Reactions: WVUDisciples
7-5 would show progress in the Big 12 but failed to capitalize on opportunities.
6-6 technically a winning season, but a huge letdown for WVU.
1) How would 7-5 "show progress"? We've finished 7-5 in three of our four Big 12 seasons prior to the bowls.
2) How is 6-6 "technically a winning season"? By definition it is a .500 season.

To say That RR is in worse shape than DH is a bit of a stretch. DH had his high water mark his 1st season playing in the big East. RR's high water mark came in year 3 playing a Pac 12 schedule. RR was offered an Sec job at the end of last season. DH failed to get an extension. RR's job at Arizona is safe at least for the immediate future which is more than DH can say at the moment. Im sure most coaches would rather be the guy facing the least heat and at the Moment that is RR.
You are quite right and had forgotten that.

I'm not a Dana fan, but if he meets expectations leads the team to 8-4, I think I'd eat some crow and say we have to keep him with a moderate contract extension.

But for me, anything less than 8-4 shows the program is not improving overall and again not performing at expectations. Just wondering the board's opinion on how many losses is too many when it comes locking in our HC?

You are the only one that I see predicting an 8-4 season for the Y'ears. But, I'll take it. Warez

The injuries on an already-inexperienced defense worry me. The question is, can we move the ball and score with enough frequency to keep the D off the field and give them time to jell? We'll need to light it up on offense. By 5 October, we'll have a good idea of how good we are. If we are 4-0 at that point, it could be a decent season. BYU and K-State are big early-season tests, but if we lose to both of them and go into the rest of the season at 2-2, it will be a struggle. I'm assuming we beat Missouri and Youngstown State, of course.

The injuries on an already-inexperienced defense worry me. The question is, can we move the ball and score with enough frequency to keep the D off the field and give them time to jell? We'll need to light it up on offense. By 5 October, we'll have a good idea of how good we are. If we are 4-0 at that point, it could be a decent season. BYU and K-State are big early-season tests, but if we lose to both of them and go into the rest of the season at 2-2, it will be a struggle. I'm assuming we beat Missouri and Youngstown State, of course.

You make some valid points.

I, too, am worried about the defense, riddled by injuries after being riddled by departments to the NFL and graduation. Tony Gibson has the toughest job of all the WVU coaches this season.

The WVU offense has a lot of experience, and college players usually improve incrementally from year to year, but I saw enough problems in 2015 with the offense to wonder if it will be enough for more than middle-of-the-road in the Big 12 again. I'm hoping Skyler makes a quantum leap in performance. That would help.

And Missouri, Youngstown, BYU and Kansas State ARE a good measuring stick for WVU's chances this season. 4-0 would give us hope. 2-2 could mean it will be a LONG season.

I'll stand by my statement that Rich is doing better at Arizona than Dana is doing at WVU against similar competition. The numbers show that, even to those who don't want to see them. Yes, Rich was an SOB on his way out of Morgantown and, yes, the Michigan thing was a calamity with Rich and Michigan sharing that blame equally (Rich's players did pretty well once they had been around 4 years, but after Rich left).
Harbaugh obviously is doing much better than Rich, and nearly every other coach in the country, at Michigan.

It's my alma mater. I do NOT want to see Dana fail, because that means my alma mater fails. But I need something to hang onto to have hope. And NEVER finishing as high as 3rd in the Big 12 isn't it, particularly since TCU, which came from a conference lower in the pecking order than WVU's Big East, had a first place finish.

Railing at me or railing at Rich doesn't solve the problem. It's up to Dana to do that. That's why Oliver Luck brought him in here, and nudged Bill Stewart out of the way. Do, as Nike says, just do it, Dana. Or, Lyons, find someone who will.

Here is my take on the West Virginia team and my projection for 2016 for the Big XII games.

K-State will hand WV a loss. K-State will be better than last year's team (we will actually have a QB) and baring injuries the defenses should be better. (KSU goes down this season)

KU This should be an easy WV win. KU is no better than last year.

Iowa State I think WV wins but am unsure of the margin. Will it be a blow out or a relatively tight game?

Texas This is so hard for me to pick. My heart wants WV to beat the horns but my head thinks Texas will pull out a win.. WV 21- UT 20.

Baylor will beat WVU despite all the problems. (Baylor has never won in Morgantown and that streak continues)

OU will be another loss for WVU.

Okie State is an interesting game. WV might be able to pull tis one out but I am afraid OSU will win.

TCU will beat WVU. (not this season, TCU top offensive players gone and O-line rebuilding)

Texas Tech is another very interesting game. This could go either way. I think WV splits with Tech and Okie State. So I see a WVU win in a shoot out.

I think WVU will go W 4 L 5 in the Big XII for 2016.

WVU goes 6-3 in the Big 12 and 2-1 OOC for 8-4 finish.

Why bother playing the 2016 season. The college coaches, or their surrogates, have decided that Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Florida State will be in the national playoffs, with Ohio State the next choice if Clemson or Florida State don’t escape unscatched. I guess I’ll just enjoy watching WVU beat Missouri, Youngstown and BYU before starting its Big 12 schedule. Unless that also has been settled.

Yes, that's sarcasm. Games still are decided on the field, not on computers or in the minds of 12 year olds in their grandma's basement.

Let's kick off the Missouri opener and stop this torment!

WVU should beat Misery. They are losing players off an already poor team. Misery has a terrible offense. Their defense is the only thing that keeps them in games. I even think their defense is overrated. Would like to see you hand half a hundred on them in the opener.

I pretty much expect more of the same. Which means we will do well to finish with a winning record.

All of the schools in power 5 conferences spend a lot of money on football and fans at most of these schools feel like they "deserve" a winner. But I think that we've pretty much found our level in the pecking order of the college football world .... occasionally we'll have a team that makes a run at a conference title and a top 10, or better, ranking. Most years we will be striving for a winning record.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Hurdy...we don't always agree but I think you have it about right on this issue. Can't believe the program has slipped to a level where more wins than loses is a cause for celebration.

It is what it is. And no amount of fan angst will change the nature of the beast in Morgantown.

You may eventually have a coach who produces a couple of stellar seasons. But he would likely be gone in short order before the program returned to its more "normal" level. Don Nehlen put together a couple of great teams. But he had some stinkaroo seasons too. And then he had a bunch of seasons in the middle. He never achieved a level of greatness and then sustain it. It just won't happen in Morgantown.

I think the best you can expect is 7-5 for the next two years with all the player turnover they have and will have so I would give him a 3 year extension if they go to a bowl game this year. 2018 I feel is the measuring stick with a minimum of 9 wins or fire him. Dana has had a hell of a task turning this into a Big 12 team.

Reactions: WVURobinHood
2018 I feel is the measuring stick with a minimum of 9 wins or fire him. Dana has had a hell of a task turning this into a Big 12 team.

With each passing year DH fans bring up the "next year will be the measuring stick" comments. And then that is followed by "9 wins". If the sun is always going to shine around the next corner then we will never get there...will always be just one more turn away. Red Bull has had more than enough time. This year is the final exam. I partially agree with the second part of this quote. However he has already turned the Mountaineers into a Big 12-2=10 flag football team....just not a good one. Always has "bad luck" and "issues" to deal with. LOL

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
If we can develop the back-ups this year on the O-line then the offensive should be even scarier next year. The center from Tennessee will add a game-ready body and the backfield will only get better with a year of development. Hopefully, the 2's on the d-line and linebackers get a lot of game reps this year. I still believe this program will grow exponentially each year with player development and the quarterback play will be cracking with Grier/Crest/Chugs.

With each passing year DH fans bring up the "next year will be the measuring stick" comments. And then that is followed by "9 wins". If the sun is always going to shine around the next corner then we will never get there...will always be just one more turn away. Red Bull has had more than enough time. This year is the final exam. I partially agree with the second part of this quote. However he has already turned the Mountaineers into a Big 12-2=10 flag football team....just not a good one. Always has "bad luck" and "issues" to deal with. LOL

And you would hire who?

Reactions: WVURobinHood
I think the best you can expect is 7-5 for the next two years with all the player turnover they have and will have so I would give him a 3 year extension if they go to a bowl game this year. 2018 I feel is the measuring stick with a minimum of 9 wins or fire him. Dana has had a hell of a task turning this into a Big 12 team.

6 years is long enough its always wait to next year and when next year comes it some other excuse. The future is now either produce or give someone else a chance.

Classic. I always love the people who think this question is some kind of great comeback trump card. First, you didn't know the Big East was a BCS conference and now this? [roll]

Here's the deal. While I agree with a lot of what people say about Holgs has been given enough time, that doesn't negate the question about who you think we could or should hire.

Holgs had to learn on the job about being a head coach here at WVU. He's grown somewhat and I think he is on the cusp of being a guy who can/has put the right staff together to win a Big12 championship. I agree he has had some problems with down and distance and T/O's and especially clock management and, his petulant temper tantrums help no one and only make him look like an idiot. However, he has come a long way and I would hate to see us fire him only to see him succeed somewhere else because we paid him handsomely to learn on the job.

With all of that said, I believe if he doesn't win 9+ games this year he is gone.

However, he has come a long way and I would hate to see us fire him only to see him succeed somewhere else because we paid him handsomely to learn on the job.

1. By what logic has he come a "long way"?
2. We will continue to pay "handsomely" for the next great HC in waiting until we start hiring someone with experience and success as a HC.
3. Why would we have paid "handsomely" someone who would need four, five, six years or more to learn to do the job he was hired for? Doesn't happen in business and shouldn't happen in sports.
4. DH is beginning to look like the guy who gets promoted over his head.

An interesting comparison to do is Mike Gundy's first 5-years at Ok St. From 2005-2011(61% wins, conference champions in 6th year). Dana Holgorsen's first 5-years at WVU(56% wins, Big East conference champions, then switched to Big 12). Ok St. with it's proximity to Texas geographically has a recruiting advantage and were already established in the Big 12. I think WVU has a similar development and are poised for a conference championship this year or next. Oklahoma has an inexperienced O-line this year which plays to our strengths, Baylor is unsteady, TCU is breaking in Kenny Hill but has a great defense and Ok St. has a weak run game, tough schedule but a good defense. WVU could definitely be contenders this year and people may be underestimating the trajectory of this program. If our weakness is in the hands of Tony Gibson, then we're in good hands and the offense looks poised to break-out.

As long as Lyons is here I do not have any confidence in him hiring a good head coach.

I understand that many of our fans think we "deserve" a great team, but until we start to seriously invest in the program like other schools do it simply isn't going to happen.

We got away with it in the Big East with a conference full of basketball schools. Not the case anymore.

While I agree with a lot of what people say about Holgs has been given enough time, that doesn't negate the question about who you think we could or should hire.
Yes, it does. As I said on another thread, by that rationale we ought to give Obama another 4-year extension. After all, who are you going to elect that could or should do better?

People inherently understand that's an idiotic reason for not making a change when it comes to politics, business, and every other area of life. Why do they suddenly forget that lesson when it comes to this football coach?

Yes, it does. As I said on another thread, by that rationale we ought to give Obama another 4-year extension. After all, who are you going to elect that could or should do better?

People inherently understand that's an idiotic reason for not making a change when it comes to politics, business, and every other area of life. Why do they suddenly forget that lesson when it comes to this football coach?

Well, Obama's term is up so has to be replaced, the option of him sticking around isn't present.

Dana doesn't have to be fired, and the cost of firing him and his staff and hire another unknown might not be worth it, especially if WVU doesn't have the money.

Basically, Dana is under contract for another year, Obama is not.

Come on, Numbers. You are smarter than that. The term limit is irrelevant. It didn't apply in 2012, and doesn't apply to senators or House reps.

The actual issue facing each of them is the same as with a football coach: Do we bring back this person or take a chance on somebody else? Nobody ever says "Well, I guess we better keep this ineffective politician around because who can do a better job?"

For some unknown reason this coach has followers who seem to think we can't ever attract another candidate besides him to WVU. I guess nobody is trying to move up to P5 head coaching jobs anymore! LOL

Last edited:
I'm guessing Beamer had the same issues with fans during his first 6 years.

Good thing nothing about college football or the world has changed in the last 25 years.

Personally I think Holgorsen ought to be extended through Hillary's second term. They tell me it takes at least 14 years to rebuild a program from the shambles it was in when we scored 70 in the Orange Bowl.

When is the ceremony scheduled for Dana to join Beamer and Nehlen in the Hall of Fame, anyway? I can never keep track.

Well, Obama's term is up so has to be replaced, the option of him sticking around isn't present.

Dana doesn't have to be fired, and the cost of firing him and his staff and hire another unknown might not be worth it, especially if WVU doesn't have the money.

Basically, Dana is under contract for another year, Obama is not.

The cost of keeping a coach that continually produces 7-5 seasons isn't worth it either. You have no clue who Lyons may Hire. Lyons may make a good hire he might make an unsuccessful hire. If his hire is unsuccessful the result would be the same as Luck. I doubt if OL where still here he would have given DH a meaningful extension he might have already fired DH considering some of his last statements regarding the Football program where luke warm at best.

Reactions: GoWVU
An interesting comparison to do is Mike Gundy's first 5-years at Ok St. From 2005-2011(61% wins, conference champions in 6th year). Dana Holgorsen's first 5-years at WVU(56% wins, Big East conference champions, then switched to Big 12). Ok St. with it's proximity to Texas geographically has a recruiting advantage and were already established in the Big 12. I think WVU has a similar development and are poised for a conference championship this year or next. Oklahoma has an inexperienced O-line this year which plays to our strengths, Baylor is unsteady, TCU is breaking in Kenny Hill but has a great defense and Ok St. has a weak run game, tough schedule but a good defense. WVU could definitely be contenders this year and people may be underestimating the trajectory of this program. If our weakness is in the hands of Tony Gibson, then we're in good hands and the offense looks poised to break-out.

For all that recruiting advantage that you claim Okie State has over Wvu then why in the 4 years since we have been members of Big 12 has wvu had 14 players drafted in the NFL draft and Okie state has only had 4? Wvu had more players drafted last year alone then okie state has had in the last 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT