ADVERTISEMENT

I'm not sure who's going win the RC this weekend........

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
........though I know on whom I'd personally be betting. But is anyone else getting downright ill listening to this script coming from every single orifice of every single individual associated with the Euros ??

I don't think it's much of a secret the Euros look forward far more enthusiastically to the event than their opponents, and it largely shows in their success the last 20 years. But this absolute broken record TEAM TEAM TEAM noise in every single sound bite is, I find, getting terribly annoying. It's just SO insanely rehearsed (and planned) that I can't believe nobody in media that I've heard/read has called them on it.

I don't think it's going to be very hard for most Americans to root for the USA team this weekend.......and that's BEFORE Poulter and Sergio each get their respective acts revved up.

Reactions: Airport
........though I know on whom I'd personally be betting. But is anyone else getting downright ill listening to this script coming from every single orifice of every single individual associated with the Euros ??

I don't think it's much of a secret the Euros look forward far more enthusiastically to the event than their opponents, and it largely shows in their success the last 20 years. But this absolute broken record TEAM TEAM TEAM noise in every single sound bite is, I find, getting terribly annoying. It's just SO insanely rehearsed (and planned) that I can't believe nobody in media that I've heard/read has called them on it.

I don't think it's going to be very hard for most Americans to root for the USA team this weekend.......and that's BEFORE Poulter and Sergio each get their respective acts revved up.
Our team is now younger. First time since mid 90's that Mickleson or Woods hasn't been involved. They were very difficult for other team members to play with. Their point totals are very low. Euro team is older. My thoughts are, we win. Just wish weather was better.

As long as our "nasty" crowd doesn't boo or upset anyone..........:rolleyes:.....read where officials have told volunteers to locate anyone who is participating in "bad behavior". Good grief. The pussification of America has no ends.

Our team is now younger. First time since mid 90's that Mickleson or Woods hasn't been involved. They were very difficult for other team members to play with. Their point totals are very low. Euro team is older. My thoughts are, we win. Just wish weather was better.

I'm thinking that passing altogether on Mickelson was a good move........but I do find myself wishing the team had at least one or two "rah guys" (like Captain America or Kevin Na). I get the impression Woods cleaned up his otherwise shitty RC reputation somewhat in the last event, but I don't know if the team is still better off, or disadvantaged, without him in the locker room. Maybe all this locker room jibborish is ultmately overrated; you still have to go out and hit shots (and react to the situation).

Part of this script the Euro team is spouting......aside this non-stop TEAM TEAM TEAM bullshit......is their almost equally tired "we're the underdog" mantra. They've got two of the Top 5 players in the world (including #1), and fully half the team plays the US Tour full-time (or close to it). You add the fact they're loaded with players with great histories in the event, and I just don't see this underdog stuff (beyond their apparent eternal need that for that psychological goose, especially playing in the US).

I think most USA fans.....though perhaps not those close to the team.....are looking instinctively to Koepka (if he can play 3-4 matches) and Dechambeau (not together, obviously) and Spieth and JT (together and individually) to be the core of the team. The one guy I myself would like to see step up is DJ: it's no secret he's stunk it up pretty much all season, and this would be a good time for him to finally have another good weekend (especially since I don't think a lot is really being expected from him).

I'm also hoping personally that Collin Morikawa's back holds up......and that Cantlay can pick up where he left off a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that passing altogether on Mickelson was a good move........but I do find myself wishing the team had at least one or two "rah guys" (like Captain America or Kevin Na). I get the impression Woods cleaned up his otherwise shitty RC reputation somewhat in the last event, but I don't know if the team is still better off, or disadvantaged, without him in the locker room. Maybe all this locker room jibborish is ultmately overrated; you still have to go out and hit shots (and react to the situation).

Part of this script the Euro team is spouting......aside this non-stop TEAM TEAM TEAM bullshit......is their almost equally tired "we're the underdog" mantra. They've got two of the Top 5 players in the world (including #1), and fully half the team plays the US Tour full-time (or close to it). You add the fact they're loaded with players with great histories in the event, and I just don't see this underdog stuff (beyond their apparent eternal need that for that psychological goose, especially playing in the US).

I think most USA fans.....though perhaps not those close to the team.....are looking instinctively to Koepka (if he can play 3-4 matches) and Dechambeau (not together, obviously) and Spieth and JT (together and individually) to be the core of the team. The one guy I myself would like to see step up is DJ: it's no secret he's stunk it up pretty much all season, and this would be a good time for him to finally have another good weekend (especially since I don't think a lot is really being expected from him).

I'm also hoping personally that Collin Morikawa's back holds up......and that Cantlay can pick up where he left off a couple weeks ago.
I don't think woods was ever easy to play with. He intimidates his own players. One of these RC, Poulter isn't going to make everything. Look for HArris and Berger to play well. The guy who was a shit head was Patrick Reed after last RC. There's no way he was getting to be a captains pick.

I don't think woods was ever easy to play with. He intimidates his own players. One of these RC, Poulter isn't going to make everything. Look for HArris and Berger to play well. The guy who was a shit head was Patrick Reed after last RC. There's no way he was getting to be a captains pick.
Reed has been a shithead pretty much his whole career, not just in the last RC. Still not sure if Stricker passed on him because of his health or his attitude. Fortunately, he can blame his decision to pass due to the former (even if the latter was his real reason).

Still, as much as anything, I'd like to see Reed and Poulter each out there on Sunday telling the other to go **** himself......

I've always felt that there are only a few guys that never was truly "intimidated" by Tiger. One of them is Sergio. I think he embraced every opportunity.

From my years of following golf and the Ryder Cup/President's Cup, what I take from it is that it appears that the European team and International team always seem to have a more killer attitude. More unified. American teams seem to be more about "look at me" and "no big deal".

I've always felt that there are only a few guys that never was truly "intimidated" by Tiger. One of them is Sergio. I think he embraced every opportunity.

From my years of following golf and the Ryder Cup/President's Cup, what I take from it is that it appears that the European team and International team always seem to have a more killer attitude. More unified. American teams seem to be more about "look at me" and "no big deal".
It wasn't until Europe was added that the Ryder Cup was competitive. We're now younger than they are and higher ranked. Although, rankings are skewed to the PGA tour.

I don't think woods was ever easy to play with. He intimidates his own players.

Meant to comment on this......not saying you're not accurate in saying Woods intimidated his teammates.

The bigger problem with Woods, IMO, is that he never appeared (outwardly, at least) to do a thing to try and address that. I never got the impression he ever embraced the RC as a player or a teammate......kinda like Koepka seems to be threatening......and he always struck me as far more focused on getting out of town and back to his normal/self-developed loner's routine the following week.

As I mentioned earlier, evidence exists that Woods softened considerably as a vice-captain in the last RC.....but I myself think he's left to live with his awful RC record as a player (not that he cares about that) versus how other great Americans like Palmer and Nicklaus (who admittedly played mostly against far weaker GB-only teams) played.

Meant to comment on this......not saying you're not accurate in saying Woods intimidated his teammates.

The bigger problem with Woods, IMO, is that he never appeared (outwardly, at least) to do a thing to try and address that. I never got the impression he ever embraced the RC as a player or a teammate......kinda like Koepka seems to be threatening......and he always struck me as far more focused on getting out of town and back to his normal/self-developed loner's routine the following week.

As I mentioned earlier, evidence exists that Woods softened considerably as a vice-captain in the last RC.....but I myself think he's left to live with his awful RC record as a player (not that he cares about that) versus how other great Americans like Palmer and Nicklaus (who admittedly played mostly against far weaker GB-only teams) played.
He looks pretty in to it in this photo. I'll say that I believe Tiger loved these events (Ryder, Presidents).

Tiger-Woods-1999-Ryder-Cup.jpg

He looks pretty in to it in this photo. I'll say that I believe Tiger loved these events (Ryder, Presidents).

Tiger-Woods-1999-Ryder-Cup.jpg
David Duval was commenting that you are only personally responsible for 1 point each RC. Your single match. If your teammate is playing like a dog, it costs you. Tiger and Phil never said anything about their teammates whether they are playing well or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT