ADVERTISEMENT

I'm all for Will Grier and wish him success BUT...

WVUDisciples

All-Conference
Dec 28, 2002
.... the original poster makes a good point. There's no question sitting out the bowl game hurt him in the eyes of many teams. There's no good explanation for him going as late as he did with the career he had at WVU. Good arm, family man, well spoken, throws a great deep ball, if not for Kyler Murray he's a Heisman top 2 bc we would've won that game .... but then the guy lets some dings keep him from sticking with his fellow seniors for their final game together.

The fact is that every NFL QB is dinged up in some way by the end of October and plays the last half of the season hurt. The best find a way to get out there and produce for their team in spite of their nagging injuries. If you don't think NFL teams are looking for a QB who will lead by example in thick and thin, you are greatly mistaken.

I wish him all the best. His future success will only make WVU look good in the long run. In hindsight, I think he now knows sitting out was about a $750,000 mistake, and a shot at going to a team that would've plugged him in for a starting position instead of being the designated backup from Day 1.

Again, I could care less that we lost the bowl game. It may have even helped Dana out the door and got us a coach with a higher ceiling. Who knows? But if he would've been my kid, I would've told him to tough it out and be there for his teammates. In doing so you send a message to the NFL, I'm going to suit up as long as it's humanly possible.

I disagree. I think NFL teams know these guys don't want to ruin their shot via injury. The end of the 3rd round is pretty good. And the QB he's behind is coming off throwing arm shoulder surgery. Unless Grier shows poorly in practice, preseason, etc, he'll eventually get a real shot at starting in the NFL even if it ends up being sitting behind Newton for four years and then going elsewhere when his rookie contract is up.

Also, the last year of Newton's contract is 2020. If his play this coming season looks like he's not recovering strong from his shoulder surgery the Panthers could let him play out his contract and hand the keys to Grier in 2021.

Reactions: jtturner09
Let it go.

That bowl game doesn't change anything.

The truth is NFL scouts weren't impressed with his arm.
They didn't think he has the arm strength or the mobility.

There was a negative narrative out there on Grier.

Truth is salary bonuses aren't important.
What is important is that second contract.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
If bowl games don't matter, explain Daniel Jones. He wasn't in the discussion but then threw for over 400 yards and 5 TD in their bowl game against Temple. Temple for God's sake. He took off from there.

Temple?
How many NFL level players do they have on their D?

Do you seriously think they made their draft pick based on the bowl game.
Jones was considered to be the best prototypical NFL QB.
Not from the Temple game but because of his intelligence, arm strength and size.

I have never witnessed Grier throw in person.
From the Television it seems like his balls have zip and he can throw them from numerous arm slots.

I guess NFL scouts weren't impressed.
Think his balls float too much.
Can't sling balls into tight coverage.

Like I said I disagree.
The bowl game against Syracuse wouldn't have changed that

Like the bowl game against Temple didn't make scouts notice Jones

The only way playing in the bowl game would matter is if he played and showed a new, developed skill. That's it.

For instance, David Sills played in the bowl game. And if they had pressed him all game and was beating it with his hands, it probably would have boosted his draft stock. But he didn't. He played exactly the same way he had for the past 2 years.

Will didn't drop because of the bowl game. He dropped because the 3 teams that needed a starting QB (Redskins, Cardinals, Dolphins) all had plans to get their guy. And then it was teams that wanted back ups with starting potential. When do you take that guy? As late as you can get away with it. That's when.

Did anyone else listen to the phone call made to him from the Panthers office when he was selected? Norv Turner people! I think he pushed hard for Will and wants him to be possibly QB1 at some point.

Don't think the bowl game came into play. The pundits downrated Greer and he had to prove himself at the Pro days--and he did, which moved him up into the third round.

The pundits were trying to act as though he were a 6th round pick or something.

Hope he has a great career and proves them all wrong.

Bowl participation is meaningless in the eyes of most NFL personnel evaluators. David Sills participated in the bowl game, but wasn't drafted. Nick Bosa left Ohio State after the third game of the season, and may have been healthy enough to have played later in the season had he not done so, and was still drafted No. 2 overall. If his finger was healthy by the 2018 draft, then Grier should have declared after last season, and may have been drafted higher than late in the third round. Of course, many WVU's fans' heads would have exploded had he done so. Grier and Konate each cost himself one year's worth of salary by returning to school.

.... the original poster makes a good point. There's no question sitting out the bowl game hurt him in the eyes of many teams. There's no good explanation for him going as late as he did with the career he had at WVU. Good arm, family man, well spoken, throws a great deep ball, if not for Kyler Murray he's a Heisman top 2 bc we would've won that game .... but then the guy lets some dings keep him from sticking with his fellow seniors for their final game together.

The fact is that every NFL QB is dinged up in some way by the end of October and plays the last half of the season hurt. The best find a way to get out there and produce for their team in spite of their nagging injuries. If you don't think NFL teams are looking for a QB who will lead by example in thick and thin, you are greatly mistaken.

I wish him all the best. His future success will only make WVU look good in the long run. In hindsight, I think he now knows sitting out was about a $750,000 mistake, and a shot at going to a team that would've plugged him in for a starting position instead of being the designated backup from Day 1.

Again, I could care less that we lost the bowl game. It may have even helped Dana out the door and got us a coach with a higher ceiling. Who knows? But if he would've been my kid, I would've told him to tough it out and be there for his teammates. In doing so you send a message to the NFL, I'm going to suit up as long as it's humanly possible.

Of course it didn’t hurt with the NFL. No one else matters besides NFL coaches and GMs. He’s on the small side and that cost him 20-30 picks. Why can’t you homers be thankful he was here and cheer for another Mountaineer in the NFL. You guys are pathetic.

Let it go.

That bowl game doesn't change anything.

The truth is NFL scouts weren't impressed with his arm.
They didn't think he has the arm strength or the mobility.

There was a negative narrative out there on Grier.

Truth is salary bonuses aren't important.
What is important is that second contract.

Impressed enough to be 4th QB taken. Size hurt him no doubt but not like he fell like Brady. You still get a like Texass because the body of your post is spot on.

If bowl games don't matter, explain Daniel Jones. He wasn't in the discussion but then threw for over 400 yards and 5 TD in their bowl game against Temple. Temple for God's sake. He took off from there.

You’re an idiot but go with it.

Sills has the issue that NFL teams don't want big WR.
At least draft them very high.

DK Metcalf
Hakeem Butler

Those are guys are huge with freakish 40 times.
There was a time that both would have been picked in the Top 10

Now teams want smaller WRs
6-1 to 5-10.
Because of the bigger corners. These WRs can cause matchup problems for the big CBs.

Regarding Grier's size.
Maybe that is true but never heard anyone say anything about it.
All I heard was that he was too cocky and didn't have the arm.

Of course it didn’t hurt with the NFL. No one else matters besides NFL coaches and GMs. He’s on the small side and that cost him 20-30 picks. Why can’t you homers be thankful he was here and cheer for another Mountaineer in the NFL. You guys are pathetic.

NFL is proof that conventional thought doesn't work.
Jeff Fisher worked in that league for 20 years.
Reason I like the college game much better is that coaches aren't afraid to change.
People like Mike Leach stick around for 20 years.

Funny how certain coaches who aren't afraid to try something different have success.
Look at Andy Reid. He was lucky because it almost cost him his career in Philadelphia

Actually Greg, the poster makes a very good point. Calling him an idiot makes you....well you know.

I have to disagree with you here Root. If someone thinks NFL scouts docked Grier for sitting out a meaningless second tier Bowl game that makes that person an idiot. If someone thinks the Giants drafted Jones based on his Bowl performance that someone is an idiot. In others words suckeers is an idiot. OPs second sentence makes him an idiot. If nothing else provide me the link or proof that OP has that confirms his joke OPINION that “there’s no question sitting out hurt him in the eyes of many teams”. All I see with OP is a geek homer whinny opinion that is a joke.

Last edited:
Lot's of tunnel vision. A player obviously gets drafted on many factors. Jones went where he did only after showing well in multiple venues and the big comeback he led in the bowl game got that ball rolling. He was not even slightly hinted at as a top ten selection prior to the events since Duke's bowl game. It only takes one and the Giants bought in in a big way.

Many factors had to go into Grier sliding down draft boards...and his biggest slide didn't occur until after the Oklahoma game. Blind loyalists, and I have nothing against them, were still positive he was a guaranteed first round selection. It is laughable that sitting out the bowl game versus leading his team to the end wasn't a consideration for various scouts and GM's.

Tampa drafted a kicker only three years after getting roasted and burned for drafting another...there may be half a dozen to ten NFL teams with GM and a coach that both exhibit good sense on a regular basis...and that may be generous.

ESPN's serious analyst Todd McShay said it hurt him. Said several NFL guys told him the #1 intangible they look for in a QB is being able to put the team first and not being a selfish player. The 2nd intangible is playing for your team even when you're banged up. If there's a real injury, they get that. But he said guys told him that Jones choosing to play for his team and Grier choosing not to made a couple of teams move up Jones on their board and Grier down. In hindsight, it looks like one of those teams was the Giants. I don't think he was making that up.

Did EVERY team feel that way? Of course not. But McShay is not like Skip Bayless or those hype guys. He's just reporting what some NFL execs told him.

Still, I haven't seen one person on this board not wish Grier well. We are all his fans and wish him the best. Just because you question someone's decisions doesn't mean you dislike them or wish them the worst. Of course not. Will's success is our success.

Reactions: SUKEERS
Those NFL Mock Drafts that come out in September don't mean anything.
Compare the Mock Draft from September to the actual draft. How about you save these 2020 mock drafts that people are putting out and recheck them next year.

Will Grier was never a first round pick. Playing in the bowl game wouldn't have changed this.

I told everyone that Drew Lock was a better QB last year on here when WV fans claimed Grier was the #1 Senior QB according to NFL scouts .
Regarding Jones I never watched him play in college so I cannot say.

Drew Lock is a slightly better version of Will Grier
Truthfully I think both QBs will outperform Haskins.
Jones I don't know about. Unless you watched him play you cannot make a judgment. 75% of people can see a future star and will only know he is a future NFL star if the idiots in the booth say it.

Mock drafts are every bit as good as the 2016 Presidential election polls and it doesn't matter if they're from September or the afternoon of the first round. Making such a claim doesn't make anyone suddenly more of an expert. The Giant's had one of their regular beat reporters release an article last week that Grier was likely to be selected by them and much higher than anyone was expecting. Give that guy credit for reading the tea leaves partially correct. The Giants spent a lot of time with Grier prior to the draft. Wouldn't it be something if he was that close to making millions right off the bat?

This is the narrative around Grier.
His Pro Day actually hurt him even more.
I don't see it. Never seen him throw in person but I don't think his balls float. I think he has excellent touch and has shown it against NFL quality DBs during his career.

Weaknesses:
  • Lacks arm strength
  • Throws die on him going downfield
  • Loses all zip on the ball when his feet aren't set
  • Not a dynamic runner or athlete
  • Comes from a college system
  • Needs to improve field vision
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019wgrier.php

Mock drafts are every bit as good as the 2016 Presidential election polls and it doesn't matter if they're from September or the afternoon of the first round. Making such a claim doesn't make anyone suddenly more of an expert. The Giant's had one of their regular beat reporters release an article last week that Grier was likely to be selected by them and much higher than anyone was expecting. Give that guy credit for reading the tea leaves partially correct. The Giants spent a lot of time with Grier prior to the draft. Wouldn't it be something if he was that close to making millions right off the bat?

These idiots are claiming Jake Fromm is a Top 10 draft pick.

Don't see it. Hopefully some NFL team is stupid enough to waste a Top 10 pick on him.

Truthfully I think a lot of the draft has become a way for some of these agents to get their money back.
60% of the Top 100 recruits already have an agent by their senior year in High School.
These agents are getting some players drafted much higher than they deserve so they can pay the money back with their signing bonus.
Another reason why college players should start being reimbursed.
Amateurism doesn't exist anymore.

Lot's of tunnel vision. A player obviously gets drafted on many factors. Jones went where he did only after showing well in multiple venues and the big comeback he led in the bowl game got that ball rolling. He was not even slightly hinted at as a top ten selection prior to the events since Duke's bowl game. It only takes one and the Giants bought in in a big way.

Many factors had to go into Grier sliding down draft boards...and his biggest slide didn't occur until after the Oklahoma game. Blind loyalists, and I have nothing against them, were still positive he was a guaranteed first round selection. It is laughable that sitting out the bowl game versus leading his team to the end wasn't a consideration for various scouts and GM's.

Tampa drafted a kicker only three years after getting roasted and burned for drafting another...there may be half a dozen to ten NFL teams with GM and a coach that both exhibit good sense on a regular basis...and that may be generous.

You’re an idiot pal. The Giants probably didn’t even realize he played in a meaningless Bowl. They took the QBs through their evaluation process and Jones was their guy. Some of you guys are such tools.

ESPN's serious analyst Todd McShay said it hurt him. Said several NFL guys told him the #1 intangible they look for in a QB is being able to put the team first and not being a selfish player. The 2nd intangible is playing for your team even when you're banged up. If there's a real injury, they get that. But he said guys told him that Jones choosing to play for his team and Grier choosing not to made a couple of teams move up Jones on their board and Grier down. In hindsight, it looks like one of those teams was the Giants. I don't think he was making that up.

Did EVERY team feel that way? Of course not. But McShay is not like Skip Bayless or those hype guys. He's just reporting what some NFL execs told him.

Still, I haven't seen one person on this board not wish Grier well. We are all his fans and wish him the best. Just because you question someone's decisions doesn't mean you dislike them or wish them the worst. Of course not. Will's success is our success.

Homers are so adorable. This lameass pathetic fan base doesn't deserve a QB as good as Grier.

Fake News and misrepresenting. Typical. Grier is on smaller side and has had off field issues and injuries. He still was 4th QB taken morons. Homers acting like he wasn’t a high choice haha.

Someone should file a restraining order against me.
I am Zach Smithing West Virginia on here.

All you stupid homer WV fans...but wait I thought I was a West Virginia fan as well.
Talk about being self abusing.
He forgot which team he liked today.

Every gregor post on here goes like this....

Insult the poster...use the word homer....explain why said poster is wrong and he is right...says his life is great.

Just recycle and you have his entire posting history.

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
Someone should file a restraining order against me.
I am Zach Smithing West Virginia on here.

All you stupid homer WV fans...but wait I thought I was a West Virginia fan as well.
Talk about being self abusing.

Aaaaahahahaha!!!! Bawaaahahaha! Hehehaha!

ESPN's serious analyst Todd McShay said it hurt him. Said several NFL guys told him the #1 intangible they look for in a QB is being able to put the team first and not being a selfish player. The 2nd intangible is playing for your team even when you're banged up. If there's a real injury, they get that. But he (Mcshay) said guys told him that Jones choosing to play for his team and Grier choosing not to made a couple of teams move up Jones on their board and Grier down. In hindsight, it looks like one of those teams was the Giants. I don't think he was making that up.

*** "But he (Mcshay) said guys told him that Jones choosing to play for his team and Grier choosing not to made a couple of teams move up Jones on their board and Grier down" ***
And when only so many teams are trying to draft a QB on the first couple rounds, a QB or 2 moving in front of you can mean a round or two drop. Sorry, Grier. Though, he'll likely get enough guaranteed money to allow him to risk showing up for practice.

*** "But he (Mcshay) said guys told him that Jones choosing to play for his team and Grier choosing not to made a couple of teams move up Jones on their board and Grier down" ***
And when only so many teams are trying to draft a QB on the first couple rounds, a QB or 2 moving in front of you can mean a round or two drop. Sorry, Grier. Though, he'll likely get enough guaranteed money to allow him to risk showing up for practice.

Fake News and Geek homer alert. You’re pathetic sir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT