ADVERTISEMENT

If you didn’t see, Gundy went down to shake hands with Major and Coach Nehlen

Sam Quint23

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jun 12, 2010
From his postgame:

"Well, it's a great honor for him. You know, he and I played against each other and had a heckuva game. You know, I told some people yesterday when I came here and then today several people grabbed me that were at that game, and I asked them if they remembered when I talked to the media then, I told them that I thought that this was a really, really good football team. I think they were like 6-5 or something, but they were really good. And then you know the next year they played in the National Championship. They had all those guys coming back. So, when I come to town, my bus driver, Arnold, he's been driving us ever since I've come here. I don't know how many years we've been coming here now, and he played back then with those guys and he keeps me updated on what's going on with those guys and coach (Don) Nehlen, and he told me that they were retiring his number, which is pretty cool for him. Major's been doing car commercials and stuff like that. I was hoping I could punt into him, but it gave me a chance to go out and congratulate him and also congratulate coach Nehlen, who is a heckuva football coach. And, I got a lot of respect for him and obviously for Major. Major was, you know, back in the mid-80s, if you weren't running wishbone, he was the type of quarterback you see a lot today, where you can't tackle him. And that guy was really good, so it was pretty cool for them to retire his number."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News