ADVERTISEMENT

If this isn't the toughest team we've ever had,

Is Joe still coaching? I was hoping to see him on Huggs staff and eventually groomed to take over. He's one of my favorites of all time. Guy played hard 100% of the time, even when injured.

Reactions: WESTBGVA
Is Joe still coaching? I was hoping to see him on Huggs staff and eventually groomed to take over. He's one of my favorites of all time. Guy played hard 100% of the time, even when injured.
Fairmont State Assistant. Feel the same about Joe as you do. Would like to see Huggs reel Joe back in eventually.

No question about the toughness of this team. If they can cut down on the number of fouls and play smarter with less turnovers, they could become a dominant force in the conference.

No question about the toughness of this team. If they can cut down on the number of fouls and play smarter with less turnovers, they could become a dominant force in the conference.

They have to cut down on fouls.

I do like watching this team they are tough minded and hustle.

it's got to be one of the toughest. At times it seems like we've got 8 Mazzula's.

The team plays hard, is well coached, and the entire basketball program is well managed on and off the field. This might upset the trolls and low information fans, but when has their opinion ever counting for anything.

Kudos to everyone involved in the basketball program. Same for the football program.

The team plays hard, is well coached, and the entire basketball program is well managed on and off the field. This might upset the trolls and low information fans, but when has their opinion ever counting for anything.

Kudos to everyone involved in the basketball program. Same for the football program.

Well, considering your are talking about basketball and you say "field"....I'll say you are Low Information Fan #1.....Be proud!

OH, and I love Huggs and the basketball team because:

1. They set high expectations, not the low ones of the football "High Information Fans"
2. He runs a program, not a marketing campaign about Red Bull and hair styles

I don't think we can cut down that much on fouls unless the refs suddenly change the way they call the games. If we press hard and defend the ball the way we do, we're going to get fouls, but that's our game. We can play a "junk" zone to protect players once we are in serious foul trouble or as a change of pace, but for the most part we are going to live or die with the press. We just need turnovers gained (and obviously points off those TOs) to more than offset the cost of fouls. I honestly think, given our depth, and the havoc our press creates that the fouls are a bigger problem for watching the games than the team playing them.

I agree we really need to cut down on our turnovers to finish in the top 3 or 4 of the Big 12. Huggins keep saying we don't pass the ball well and that's true, but I think a big part of that is the lack of good spacing and crisp movement without the ball in our half court offense. We sometimes just throw the ball way but at least as often we end up having to force passes because of the lack of movement and spacing leaving no choice but to try a pass at a bad angle. That, and very inconsistent shooting (we shot pretty well last night but we need to sustain it) are the biggest issues I see.

I don't think we are in danger of missing the NCAA, but if we want to finish in the top 4 and get a good seed, we need to improve. The other thing that concerns me some is that it seems Devin Williams has been very frustrated the last few games, barking at refs and teammates and forcing it on offense. He needs to calm down and play within himself.

I agree the foul troubles shackle the team. However, it seems to me that the officials (at least i the first two conference games) have come not the floor with the attitude that WVU fouls a lot (and we need to call them closely). Several of the defensive fouls have been of the 'almost' variety. To me there were several last night where the defender ran past the TCU player and was called. We seem to have no success defending under the basket without a foul belong called (yet we do not consistently get the benefit of such calls). SO, my point is that it is difficult to maintain their current defensive intensity and also cut down on fouls when the officials are hell bent to call our games much,much closer than we see for other teams (inter and intra conference). WE have gained a reputation, and the officials seem intent on perpetuating it.

We foul a lot and I think that has refs calling fouls that they anticipate are going to happen, instead of waiting for the foul to actually happen and then calling it...

LOL - trolls & low information fans like you were dumping on Huggins only a few short years ago (even more so than Holgorsen). And as usual, your opinion matters little.

I think it was the obvious offensive fouls that really got our bigs in trouble. There was some flopping but a good bit of putting the shoulder down and running over people. The bigs need to work on some footwork a little and some better interior passing. No way are we going to get a pass from the officials the way we play defense. I actually like the idea of Huggs switching at random to the 1 3 1 and then back into the press. I've seen teams get comfortable with the press, then become hesitant against the 1-3-1. Then when the press is sprung again, it seems to be more effective. We get fewer net fouls from the time we are in zone and two different kinds of disruption.

I agree the foul troubles shackle the team. However, it seems to me that the officials (at least i the first two conference games) have come not the floor with the attitude that WVU fouls a lot (and we need to call them closely). Several of the defensive fouls have been of the 'almost' variety. To me there were several last night where the defender ran past the TCU player and was called. We seem to have no success defending under the basket without a foul belong called (yet we do not consistently get the benefit of such calls). SO, my point is that it is difficult to maintain their current defensive intensity and also cut down on fouls when the officials are hell bent to call our games much,much closer than we see for other teams (inter and intra conference). WE have gained a reputation, and the officials seem intent on perpetuating it.
I'm wth you there.

LOL - trolls & low information fans like you were dumping on Huggins only a few short years ago (even more so than Holgorsen). And as usual, your opinion matters little.

If this was towards me, you are an absolute IDIOT. Go back, and look. I was one of the BIGGEST Huggins supporters, even during the lean years. But I don't have to prove it to you. You have already proven that you are a "Low Information Basketball Fan" for the simple fact you said "field" when referring to the sport. You do realize there are no yardage markers? No first downs? But there are Field Goals, but they are not always worth 3 points. Sometimes 2 points.......[thumbsup]

If this was towards me, you are an absolute IDIOT. Go back, and look. I was one of the BIGGEST Huggins supporters, even during the lean years. But I don't have to prove it to you. You have already proven that you are a "Low Information Basketball Fan" for the simple fact you said "field" when referring to the sport. You do realize there are no yardage markers? No first downs? But there are Field Goals, but they are not always worth 3 points. Sometimes 2 points.......[thumbsup]

LOL - morons like you are perfect for our idiot board, although your IQ seems to be a little on the low side even for this site. If the shoe fits, wear it.

They play hard but have to play smarter. Too many obvious and foolish fouls. It's not just the officials. They have to get it under control or it's going to cost us some games we should win.

LOL - morons like you are perfect for our idiot board, although your IQ seems to be a little on the low side even for this site. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Still no addressing the fact you don't the difference between a "field' and a "court"? Ha. Maybe you run our special teams? Any chance? :)

If you truly feel this is an "idiot board", why are you on it......oh, because you must be an IDIOT! [roll]

Still no addressing the fact you don't the difference between a "field' and a "court"? Ha. Maybe you run our special teams? Any chance? :)

If you truly feel this is an "idiot board", why are you on it......oh, because you must be an IDIOT! [roll]

Never argue with a moron, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT